Healthy weight to lose each week

Hi MFP community,

Just wondering what is a good guide on weight loss each week. I have about 12kgs to lose and want to know if 0.5-1kg is an okay amount to lose

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Yes, that sounds right. Good luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,784 Member
    Without disagreeing with Snowflake, I'll mention that a common rule of thumb around here is 0.5%-1% of current body weight per week, with a bias toward the lower end of that range, especially when not much weight left to lose. Finding and establishing new habits is more important IMO than losing weight fast, unless one's bodyweight itself is a major health risk. And fast loss can backfire in various ways, besides (fatigue, burnout, . . . .).
  • AussieKT96
    AussieKT96 Posts: 10 Member
    Thankyou for the information - I may aim for the 0.5kgs a week especially going through Christmas and new years. Definitely don’t want to end up binging or yo-yo dieting because I pushed too hard
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Without disagreeing with Snowflake, I'll mention that a common rule of thumb around here is 0.5%-1% of current body weight per week, with a bias toward the lower end of that range, especially when not much weight left to lose. Finding and establishing new habits is more important IMO than losing weight fast, unless one's bodyweight itself is a major health risk. And fast loss can backfire in various ways, besides (fatigue, burnout, . . . .).

Sorry, I just read the .5 kilo not .5-1 kilo. :D Yep OP, 1 kilo is too much. Thanks for catching that Ann--old age is knockin' at the door.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    I had about that amount to lose and iI lost it steadily at about 1/2 lb per week - 1 kg/ month
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 213 Member
    edited December 2022
    2 lb per week (1 kilo) per week would be about the max. That would mean big changes to diet, and would probably feel difficult, but with motivation can be done while staying health. My experience is that to lose weight at that rate, it has to be the focus of your life. On the other hand 0.5 - 1 lb (0.25 - 0.5 kg) per week is more like making a few changes, and cutting out unhealthy foods, but feels more like normal eating. Decide which seems right to you, put it in the calculator, then start tracking. After 2 - 3 weeks, re-evaluate, and decide whether you want a different plan.
  • AussieKT96
    AussieKT96 Posts: 10 Member
    True! I still want to be able to have a treat every now and than along with the occasional wines so will try and stick with the 0.5kgs/week. Trying not to weigh myself often though and use my energy levels and measurements as a guide as well