Magnesium

Options
The minerals I care most about logging are potassium and Magnesium. I wish there was an option on here for adding magnesium, it drives me nuts having to look things up twice, once to log it and once on google to get the stats for magnesium in my good items.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Magnesium isn't required to be listed on food labels, so most people wouldn't enter it when creating database entries even if MFP added it.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Yup, I went through that phase. You learn from it.
    Look at a can of beans. High in magnesium, but the can does not tell you this. Not MFP's fault.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    The minerals I care most about logging are potassium and Magnesium. I wish there was an option on here for adding magnesium, it drives me nuts having to look things up twice, once to log it and once on google to get the stats for magnesium in my good items.

Do you have a deficiency in these minerals? Have you thought about taking a multivitamin with Mg and K in them?

Also, try to incorporate foods with higher amounts of Mg and K in them:

Goods sources of magnesium:
    dark leafy greens
    nuts
    seeds
    fish
    beans
    whole grains
    avocados
    yogurt
    bananas
    dried fruit
    dark chocolate

Good sources of potassium:
    dark leafy greens
    potatoes
    beans
    squash
    yogurt
    fish
    avocados
    mushrooms
    bananas
    blackberries
    artichokes
    carrots
    brussels sprouts
    grapefruit
    okra

There are many, many more foods. You can find the Mg and K content of most foods by Googling them.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take 1 ea Magnesium Citrate 250mg tablet morning and evening. All be fine!
  • gweppler
    gweppler Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’d like to advocate that MFP introduces a way to track magnesium, and other micronutrients. I’ve read that MFP only tracks the nutrients required by the FDA. Similar apps, like Cronometer, track more than the FDA requirements and I cannot imagine it would be a big lift for developers given the great foundation MFP is built on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    gweppler wrote: »
    I’d like to advocate that MFP introduces a way to track magnesium, and other micronutrients. I’ve read that MFP only tracks the nutrients required by the FDA. Similar apps, like Cronometer, track more than the FDA requirements and I cannot imagine it would be a big lift for developers given the great foundation MFP is built on.

Then you should advocate that here, the actual place that MFP staff read and consider as input to improving MFP:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/feature-suggestions-and-ideas

Here, you're just talking to other MFP users, who have no more power to change MFP than you have. Waking multiple threads from the past about magnesium to repeat your suggestion is just going to annoy those other users, I'd predict, and have zero impact on MFP's future plans.

Given what I bolded, I'm going to assume you don't have professional experience with data design, data management, data architecture. I do. You're incorrect. The reasons have been explained on all of these threads you've revived.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Just take magnesium supplements every evening