I'm addicted to fast food

Options
2»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Before anyone jumps on the OP for saying "full fat" cola - that's a regional thing. Yes, there's no fat in cola but in some places people say it to mean full sugar (and caffeine.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Belay4Beer wrote: »
    What if you think about other goals.
    - adding to your plate vs taking away …goal of 5 fruits and veggies servings every day
    - Drink 8 cups water
    - try a new homemade recipe every week

Set an easy goal follow through make it permanent. After you feel solid add another goal.

Also add in a movement goal also make permanent like daily walks. If you need extra money people will pay you to walk there dog.

You can do this start small so it’s not overwhelming.

Best of luck

Focusing on adding is a great idea!

I don't eliminate calorie dense foods like pizza - I add a large salad (with cottage cheese and chicken to up the protein.) Our favorite pizza, pepperoni, does not feel balanced to me as the protein is low in proportion to the fat and carbs. I can easily eat over 1200 calories of pizza, but when I add the salad I'm satisfied with a 500 calorie meal.

When we have desserts like brownies or cake, I have a smaller portion and add Greek yogurt and raspberries.

I cook vegetables to add to Chinese or Thai food take out. My OH complains that there are now dishes to do after take out, but oh well :lol:

Meeting my fiber and protein goals helps me feel full and satisfied on less calories. :smile:
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There is no fat in Coca Cola... you mean full sugar. But seriously, sugary soda is GARBAGE and you shouldn't be drinking more than one a week, if you're going to have any at all.
    And I'm sorry, but you do not have an addiction, just really poor coping habits. You've got to get yourself in a mentally healthy place, and take care of yourself. You're heavily dependent on the dopamine rush from over-indulging in the foods and drink that you've conditioned yourself to rely on for comfort. Figure out why you're so distressed in the first place, confront it, and get a substitute that gives you comfort that isn't takeaway and soda. Plus, so what if you "binge" on other foods if you don't get your takeaway? What's the worst thing that's going to happen? Instead of eating out, make yourself some eggs. I don't care if you end up eating 6 eggs at once, it's still probably less calories than a take out meal, and far far more nutritious. So stop telling yourself that it has to be this way and this is always what happens, put on your big girl panties, and opt to do something different. YOU are in control.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    *grabs popcorn and waits for another food addiction fight to break out*
  • ehju0901
    ehju0901 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think what helped for me the most was noticing how my energy levels changed. I noticed I would be good about getting my exercise in all week up until I indulged in fast food. Once I did that, I just wanted to nap or lay around. To me, it just wasn't worth it anymore.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    ehju0901 wrote: »
    I think what helped for me the most was noticing how my energy levels changed. I noticed I would be good about getting my exercise in all week up until I indulged in fast food. Once I did that, I just wanted to nap or lay around. To me, it just wasn't worth it anymore.

More than likely a bit too much blood sugar elevation when you consume fast food which generally has to do with the total glycemic load, which typically translates into a higher level of total calories.

Feeling lethargic like you did is from the insulin response that sometimes creates a crash causing hyperglycemia where your blood sugar drops well below base and it takes a few hours until that balance corrects itself. It's actually a good proxy for insulin resistance.