Slow Cooker Steel Cut Oats

Options
2»

Replies

• soulo_ridah
    soulo_ridah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My question to the OP........ why complicate your life with steel cut? Why not just go with quick and simply nuke with water for couple minutes?
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I am in the midst of a pantry/freezer clean-out. With my garden, I do a lot of home-canning/freezing and keep a fairly full larder. Once the garden is done, I try to use up what I have on hand from November-May, buying very few groceries. There are two boxes steel-cut oats on hand. Don't know if I'll buy them again, but I will certainly find the best use of what I have.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Bumping because I'm finally trying the rolled oats in the crockpot thing.

1 cup oats, 2 cups water, 1 1/2 to 2 hours on low.

I'm starting off with the 1 1/2 hours but, with 20 minutes left, it's still pretty soupy.

At least my microwave's not dinging every 40 seconds! (Yet. I don't usually get to my oatmeal until 10:00ish..)
  • SaRahab316
    SaRahab316 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Une_Poire wrote: »
    I have had better success with my instapot and the delay cook feature. I had tried crockpot oats long ago and did not like the texture. I was happy with how it went in the instapot. I haven't added anything besides apples, mostly do it plain and then add whatever I want to add after the fact. Used water

I also love to make steel oats in my Ninja Foodi (instapot). I make a large amount with out any sweetener. I then freeze the oats in smaller amounts. When I want them I add fruit and some almond milk or an egg and turkey sausage. I do like the texture better from the instapot.
  • palloned
    palloned Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Easy overnight Steelcut oats.
    4 servings
    1C st cut oats
    4 C water
    1apple chopped
    1/2-1 teas vanilla
    Dash salt
    Cinnamon
    Bring to a boil. Stir. Turn off heat. Cover pan.
    In the morning they are perfect. I separate into 4 bowls, warm one bowl in microwave to eat. Cover the other 3 and refrigerate.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,239 Member
    Options
    My question to the OP........ why complicate your life with steel cut? Why not just go with quick and simply nuke with water for couple minutes?

I'm not the OP, but quick oats are not as good as rolled oats in my opinion. Rolled oats, even the thick rolled oats that I buy, don't take that much longer to cook than quick oats. Quick oats are in smaller pieces, and the texture is less delicious. I have bought steel-cut oats before, but I don't anymore because of the much longer cooking time.

@palloned - do you think you cold do overnight steel-cut oats with no cooking? Lately I just add plain yogurt to rolled oats and let them sit a while - 20 minutes to a couple hours. They are fine. If I had some steel cut oats, I'd do the experiment myself.

In grad school, a roommate used to put oats in a wide-mouth thermos, add boiling water, and close the lid. They'd still be warm in the morning. Sometimes he'd make them first thing in the morning and eat them later in the day. I wonder if @MsCzar could try that instead of the slow cooker. If they're not warm enough in the morning, a quick heat on the stove (or microwave if you have one) would bring 'em up to temperature. I would skip the milk for food safety, but the raisins should be fine. It's worth a try. Worst case is they are a failure and you won't do it again.
  • maryawozniak1
    maryawozniak1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Instant pot is the only way that I cook steel cut oats. The water to oats is 3 parts to 1 part, set on high pressure for 4 minutes then allow 10 minutes natural pressure release.