Seeking hiking boots that are cushy like sneakers

Options
It's too cold for my comfy sneakers, which have mesh. I figured it was time to retire my old hiking boots, which are too clunky anyway. But all the boots I've tried on are hard as rocks. Suggestions for more comfortable hiking boots? I want them to be waterproof and over the ankle, as I plan to wear them in light snow.

My OH loves his Timberland's, so I ordered a pair in my size, but they are not as comfortable as I'd like and rub on the ankle. I didn't wear them outside, as they cannot be returned if worn, and I'm not loving them enough to take a chance.

https://www.timberland.com/shop/mens-mt-maddsen-waterproof-hiking-boots-black-2731r001

I'm female but have big feet and have been wearing men's sized boots since I was in the military and there weren't any my size in the women's section :lol:

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Have you looked at Sketchers? I have two pairs of their boots and love them--light and comfortable.

PS: I have large feet for a woman too--size 10's.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    I've worn Danner for years and love them, but they are a little bulky and my Merrell's, they get used the most. I also have a pair of Lowa's which I wear mostly in the winter.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    While I love my Skechers, my Merrell boots are warmer and better-made. I have a pair of Merrell waterproof polar fleece that I can wear comfortably all day long.
    For ages, I have been confident ordering Skechers online - knowing they'd be a perfect fit. However, in the past year or so, every Skechers shoe I've ordered has felt tighter across the instep. And no- my foot width did not increase!
    Clarks have been hit or miss. The same shoe that feels heavenly in navy feels too snug in black. But generally, with one exception, Merrells would be my number one choice for wear, warmth, comfort and quality.
    BTW - Woot dot com is having a Merrell sale today!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Consider waterproof socks, with whatever shoes you find comfortable (that tolerate being wet, drying out after).

This is a thing for canoe/kayakers (who need to portage), but I also use the waterproof socks for rowing.

Some sock options: Plain Goretex or equivalent; insulated Goretext or equivalent; neoprene.

I found uninsulated Goretex most flexible. Late-season canoe/kayaking, we wore these with canvas shoes that have eyelets to drain: Good. If cold, use a wool inner layer. Add another inner inner layer if wool makes you itch. For rowing - where we shed our boat-carrying shoes at the dock, don the shoes that are attached to the boat, I like the neoprene ones for late season . . . though they're a little insulatingly warm for me, as someone with inherently very warm feet.

Just another option to consider.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Why not snow boots? I wear them every day. I’m on my second pair of UGGS. They have quite a variety. I’m in Minnesota. We get a lot of snow, and we have been below zero for a week straight. They are easy to walk in.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Sketchers? I have two pairs of their boots and love them--light and comfortable.

I was going to suggest Sketchers too. I have a pair I’ve had for years that I wear for moderate trail hiking. I know they’re not considered the best, and my daughter says I’m very unfashionable for owning Sketchers.

I will qualify my suggestion by saying I don’t usually mess with cheap shoes, especially for exercise. (A painful bout of plantar fasciitis taught me that!) But somehow, these boots are still around.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Merrells. I live in them!
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Merrells fan too - I’ve just ordered another pair. But I buy their trail running shoes as I’m short so boots always rub my ankles. Merrells always seem really comfy straight away and they last really well too.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Not sure my advice will be any use to you as I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum with super narrow feet and my main concern is arch support. My summer hiking boots are Merrells. Not as narrow as I'd like but excellent arch and ankle support.

I just bought a pair of Keen winter "hikers" that are rated to -40, primarily as daily winter boots and not for hiking although I think I did do a couple longish walks in them when the temperatures had dipped below freezing. Acceptable level of cushiness. They're definitely a bit too wide for me and I'm doing a little side to side sloshing in them, but at least I'm not stepping in and out of the heel box which I've done in other winter boots and given myself horrifying blisters. And they're somewhat daintier than my other -40 boots (Sorels) so I can safely drive in them.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I have trekked all over the US, Switzerland and Germany in Sorel Boots..(including the base of the Matterhorn) absolutely my fav most comfortable hiking boot.

I’m particular about comfy shoes .. and these worked for me! Hope you find a pair you like.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    My wife and I are both big fans of Salomon hiking boots. My wife wears the Salomon Cross Hike Mid GTX which she claims are about as close to a sneaker feel as she's ever had. It must be true because she rarely changes out of them and back into her sneakers when we're camping and she wore them for an entire 5 days over our fall break trip due to wet and soggy conditions even walking around the little mountain town we were staying in. It's a mid so it goes up the ankle a bit...

I also wear a mid and we both have used them in snowy conditions, though not super deep snow. I wear the Salomon Ultra 4 Mid GTX. It's pretty comfortable, but it's a bit more rugged than my wife's boots...but still lighter and much more comfortable than my previous hikers...I guess that's why hers are a "cross hike", it's definitely more like a high-top hiking shoe and mine or more of a traditional boot. Both are gortex so completely water proof.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    ythannah wrote: »
    Not sure my advice will be any use to you as I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum with super narrow feet and my main concern is arch support. My summer hiking boots are Merrells. Not as narrow as I'd like but excellent arch and ankle support.

I just bought a pair of Keen winter "hikers" that are rated to -40, primarily as daily winter boots and not for hiking although I think I did do a couple longish walks in them when the temperatures had dipped below freezing. Acceptable level of cushiness. They're definitely a bit too wide for me and I'm doing a little side to side sloshing in them, but at least I'm not stepping in and out of the heel box which I've done in other winter boots and given myself horrifying blisters. And they're somewhat daintier than my other -40 boots (Sorels) so I can safely drive in them.

My snow boots are Sorels and are amazing for clunking around in the snow, and dainty is indeed not a word that describes them :lol: They were invaluable for winter camping and breaking trail out to my tent. I also wore the inserts to bed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Consider waterproof socks, with whatever shoes you find comfortable (that tolerate being wet, drying out after).

This is a thing for canoe/kayakers (who need to portage), but I also use the waterproof socks for rowing.

Some sock options: Plain Goretex or equivalent; insulated Goretext or equivalent; neoprene.

I found uninsulated Goretex most flexible. Late-season canoe/kayaking, we wore these with canvas shoes that have eyelets to drain: Good. If cold, use a wool inner layer. Add another inner inner layer if wool makes you itch. For rowing - where we shed our boat-carrying shoes at the dock, don the shoes that are attached to the boat, I like the neoprene ones for late season . . . though they're a little insulatingly warm for me, as someone with inherently very warm feet.

Just another option to consider.

Interesting idea...

I have a different model of Asics that ran about 1/4 size bigger than my other models, and I'm able to wear wool socks with them. It was above freezing today, and this combo worked well.

While I do tend to have fabric sensitivities, I've been fine with organic* wool and also alpaca.

* I'm assuming the benefit to me of organic wool is lack of certain processing inputs: https://ota.com/sites/default/files/indexed_files/OrganicWoolFactSheet_Final.pdf
  • mfowler883
    mfowler883 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Merrell junkie here. I haven't tried the Moab 3 yet, but I have several of the Moab 2 variants including a WP pair. I recently picked up a pair of Salomons that I really like as well, they're lighter on my feet and super grippy; I'll probably look at more of their line when I look for new shoes again.

-m
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Hoka has made a couple models of hiking boot. A woman in my hiking group wears them and loves them. I’m partial to Keen, myself. Though I have worn (and liked) Morrell and Timberland myself.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's for U.S. customers only but Merrell dot com is running its after Christmas sale: Apply code "WINTER25" to take an extra 25%. Free shipping on orders over $49USD.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I hike in the dog park routinely in MN in my Sorel boots. Warm, dry, comfy. Mine are from 1995, and they're still fantastic!