"Reply guys"

Options
chris_in_cal
chris_in_cal Posts: 2,170 Member
edited January 2023 in Chit-Chat
What are your thought? Some users here reply a lot. Even if the reply is good or not good what's your feelings knowing a user or certain users are going to reply (maybe multiple times?) As a free public app mostly that's just the cost of doing business here.

It is kind of an ancient across the board issue with internet-based chats. There are probably times I've replied more than good manners would suggest.

What do you think?

Happy New Year everyone!

Replies

• TwitchyMagee
    TwitchyMagee Posts: 4,579 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand the question
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Not sure where I fall on the scale. I try to participate with what I hope will be helpful or interesting.
    There are posters here I count on for brilliant recipe suggestions or practical advice and always look forward to their replies. There are others which I automatically scroll past given their repetitive responses or minor novels - but those viewpoints or lengthy replies may help the OP - so it's all good!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    In my years and years and years of internetting, I've found not many people have manners.* Reply however the hell often you want.

*Also could have been the "adult" channels I'd frequent on irc. Daaaaaamn, people can be so rude when you turn them down.
  • chris_in_cal
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Let's hope MFP becomes as GREAT a space as possible for a lot of people in 2023!
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    MsCzar wrote: »
    - so it's all good!

Yup, that's the good attitude and it is the cost of doing business on a free public space. You're right, some of them provide value and have good intentions. (if not self awareness)
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I post whatever I want whenever I want. I don’t worry much these days what anyone is going to think about it.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    Of course it can be anyone of any gender, but here is a funny "Reply Guy Constitution" piece by Emlyn Crenshaw: mcsweeneys.net/articles/the-reply-guy-constitution

Section 2 – The Comment
    Our replies to all tweets shall fall into one of the following categories: unsolicited advice, explanation, contrarian comment, request for research to be done on Our behalf, improvement upon the joke, and/or sucketh upping. When We cannot think of a proper reply to the tweet in question, a .gif of minimal relevance shall suffice. Above all, no woman shall be excluded from Our familiar and chummy tone.

Ha!
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    I don’t understand the question

Sorry 'bout that.

I have seen that here on MFP ( and other internet chat space) a member will make a post. Then a few users will invariably respond.

I can look in one of the communities here, open up nearly any of the threads and see 'Joe Blow' or some other regular almost always adding their two cents.

It is not necessarily being a troll, because they might be trying to add something, but it is very persistent and a high volume.

Does this make it more clear?

For instance someone may really value some techniques, whatever, low-carb, "starvation mode", intermittent fasting, HIIT.

On some posts they'll quickly jump in and talk about their thing.

Q: I am new and want to lose weight

A: You should do [(low-carb,) ("starvation mode",) (intermittent fasting,) (HIIT.)

Whatever their thing is.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    The only time I fault someone for replying is when they are offering nothing in response to the OP.

For example (and I have seen this exactly):

OP: I'm looking for new ways to cook carrots. Any ideas?

Unhelpful reply-er: I hate carrots, so I don't cook them.

I mean, why? They weren't asking YOU specifically. You don't HAVE to reply.

But, it's the internet, so you can't control what you get.
  • chris_in_cal
    Options
    OP: I'm looking for new ways to cook carrots. Any ideas?

Unhelpful reply-er: I hate carrots, so I don't cook them.

OP: I'm going to Timbuktu for a vacation anyone have experience going there?

Unhelpful reply-er: I've never been to Timbuktu, but you should go to Barcelona, it's great.

:) - Like that?
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Not sorry, but I will reply whenever and with whatever I feel like. I deserve to speak my truth. My voice deserves to be heard.
  • chris_in_cal
    edited January 2023
    Options
    CurvyEmmy wrote: »
    My voice deserves to be heard.

Preach Queen!