Running apps

Options
What's your favourite running app and what do you love about it? I tried Runkeeper yesterday and liked it and will try Nike running today.

Replies

• dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    I've used runkeeper and runtastic in the past. Currently I use Nike+ running. It seems more accurate with gps distances and I like how you can track the miles per running shoes. Helps to know when they are getting near the end of their lifespan.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run!

Mostly because it has zombies.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I've used most of them. Stuck with endomondo for a long time, have also used mapmyrun and runkeeper.

I'm trialling strava at the moment, and quite like it.

But they're all pretty similar. Not much between them, really. (Except obviously for the zombies.)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run!

Mostly because it has zombies.

^^ This. Love this app! The intervals during the zombie chases are fun. You gotta run fast if you don't want to hear them munching on you.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+, Runkeeper and Zombies, Run!

I started with Runkeeper, and kept it because I have other friends who use it, and because it has options for running, walking, hiking, etc.

I use Nike+ because it's my favorite - the Nike Fuel goals are a motivator, along with the ranking of most miles and runs among other friends using the app. A little competition can be a good thing. :smile:

And Zombies, Run! is a fun way to mix things up - nothing like a few good sprints mixed into your run when there are zombies breathing down your neck! :tongue:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Zombies, run I my favorite. Mostly bc I'm ADD and enjoy the entertainment while I run.

I also have one called interval run. It doesn't track you in maps or read out mileage but that's not why I got it anyway. It lets you freely preprogram intervals by time into it and set audible queues for interval work. It's all time based rather than distance. Simple with not a lot of features but I still like it bc it does what it's suppossed to do without the bells and whistles I won't use anyway.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I use Nike+ as it's built into my ipod nano and I have other friends using it, so, friendly competition. The badges are fun to get. I also like tracking mileage on my shoes so I know when to replace. I have to calibrate mine somewhat often (monthly), but that may be partly because it doesn't have GPS (the nano doesn't).
  • blgerig
    blgerig Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have loved using RunKeeper, have used it for more than a year. I have found that I have to turn my WiFi off when I run to get the most accurate pace/distance results. When I do that, I come out with the same stats as the friends I run with who have $300+ GPS watches, so I am happy with that!

I like the training programs, comparison of workouts, ability to map runs - but I am sure most of the apps have similar features!
  • Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Zombies, Run is my favorite. This app makes me feel like I save the world everyday!! The increased speed during the chases is fun too. I had some problems with the GPS feature at first but it seems to have worked itself out.
  • brunotolosa
    Options
    I used to go for the Nike+

Not out of choice- it comes with the iPod Nano 7th Gen so I was using it. I hate carrying my phone on runs.. In fact, I hate carrying ANYTHING at all. Sometimes the occasional running water bottle.

The reason why I said I USED to play with Nike+ is because I never opened the app anymore after my last marathon in Seville (feb 2013). I was crossing the 30Km mark and the app said "Well done for completing your marathon..."- No sir, I still have 13Km to go!!!! The lack of accuracy was just absolutely unacceptable.

People tell me to calibrate it but I just can't be bothered.

I see why people use it.. It is nice to keep track of your races and to visualise your own progression but it just didn't work for me. I will watch this post to see if I can change my mind. :)

Cheers
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've used mapmyrun for a few years now. The GPS seems to be accurate but don't count on it for calories burned, it WAY overestimates. I also like that it has a website and there are different challenges that you can join up (although there are a few people that don't understand the honor system!).
  • kaylarunshappy
    Options
    I use Nike+ and have had the best GPS results with that (for the most part, a few exceptions). The app is simple, you can integrate music and you can also view your results online.
    I do have RunKeeper but I don't really use it to track that much because I have gotten way more inaccurate results.
    Honestly, I am going to shell out a little cash for a Garmin soon.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    zombies run it is really the only thing that really keeps me motivated to go. I like the story and it feels like a really fun game.
  • hill00936
    hill00936 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like Victa app for running on IPhones. I like it coz it motivates me alot. U re not only run you also play game. You create your hero, it becomes better when you run. Also you can compete with your friends and other users. Run almost everyday and have much fun! you can find it on appstore here
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    I track my runs with my Garmin watch, but I use Runalyze for more 'data geek' insights.
    I like the recovery time functionality and the VO2max estimates (even though they're not fully reliable either, but they seem more reliable than my Garmin's estimates), as well as how they measure the intensity of a run. So many statistics and graphs!

I only started making real progress in my running when I started using Runalyze, it helped me discover that I wasn't pushing myself hard enough and needed to increase my running frequency and speed.

Downside: it does overestimate my fitness level, I would push myself into a burnout if I didn't keep some extra margin for recovery, and their predictions of race times are very optimistic for me.

• VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Zombies, run - good story, voice acting and motivation