New to this

Options
Im tired of being fat and want to lose weight and maintain it. My cousin suggested this app, but I don't where to start and there's a lot in this app that is a bit overwhelming. I want to form my own meal plan and work out routine so I can rebuild my current life schedule. Any tips on where to start would help....

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,354 Member
    Options
    Gradually, would be my suggestion. Changes trend to 'stick' better that way for a lot of people 🙂

Have you read the stickied threads at the top of each subforum?
    Starting with these:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My suggestion... Start by weighing and logging everything you eat or drink for an entire week. Weigh yourself daily, first thing in the morning, for that week.

This will give you a good idea of where you are starting and will kickstart the habit of weighing your foods and calculating your calorie consumption.

Once you have the hang of that, then use one of the online calculators to create a weight loss plan. Enter age, height, weight, sex and activity level. If you have a lot to lose, you can go for 2lbs/week weight loss, but I recommend starting with 1lb. The calculator will tell you how many calories per day you can consume.

Try that for at least four weeks and ideally six. Weigh daily and don't freak out when the scale moves up, down or not all all. By the end of 4-6 weeks, it should be lower.

If you choose to incorporate exercise early in, that's great! Keep in mind that it can create some weird fluctuations too as your body adapts. Again, wait 4-6 weeks before you determine if this is working for you.

If you've done everything right and logged accurately, you should see the scale move! If not, then come back here for help and we will be happy to provide some suggestions. Weighing and logging everything you consume is CRUCIAL, so no "guesstimating" or eyeballing or using measuring cups instead of a food scale. Good luck!
  • ThePerpetualDieter
    Options
    Well congrats for joining, that's the first step. I've just rejoined after being off for years but things have to change for me!! I'd suggest small changes to start as they're going to be easier to maintain rather than going all out and cutting out everything. I would not recommend weighing yourself daily and remember if the scales doesn't move it doesn't necessarily mean you haven't lost anything as you could lose inches and not weight (as has happened to me multiple times but always so disheartening when you don't see the scales go down!)
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As the others have said - ease into it - eat more veggies - have an apple for a snack , instead of cookies- move around more - go for a walk - start an exercise program
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Make small sustainable changes. Don't try to do everything all at once. Set one goal - eat three servings of veggies, or get in a 10 minute walk every day, or whatever. Once that goal is habit, then set another goal. Rinse and repeat.