Very confused

luannslink
luannslink Posts: 1 Member
edited January 2023 in Getting Started
This is day one and I’m NOT good with technology! Very frustrated. I just want to get ideas for each meal to follow.
Is it better to count calories or focus more on fat/carbs/sugar?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,710 Member
    Better for what? What goal?

Generally speaking:
    - calories for weight management
    - macros for health and satiation

For example:
    - some people feel more full at specific macro distributions (for example high protein, or high fat)
    - a minimum of protein is necessary to protect muscle mass (limit loss or gain, depending on the situation)
    - a minimum of fat is necessary to ensure brain and hormone health
    - carbs aren't strictly necessary, but some people do need them to feel energized or capable of intense/long exercise
    - some people get hungry again very quickly when they eat high carb/sugary foods

I started out losing weight just by looking at my calorie intake, and then later on increased my protein intake because I found out it was low. You don't need to look at your macros if it makes things unnecessarily complicated for you.
    If you want to, it's enough to look at the weekly average, since it's even more complicated if you want to reach your macro goals 'precisely' each day. ('precisely' isn't necessary either, a percentage over or under isn't going to have a big impact)

MFP's standard macro split is a good starting point, but others are possible too depending on what works for you.
  • Just commenting to support Lietchi's comment. Most of us start off just counting calories. Thes rest comes more (or less) important as we get more focused on the journey and our goals. For instance, I noticed my protein intake was woefully low week by week so I keep an eye on that. But that's it.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Agree with the other posters. Just get used to counting calories and staying within your daily goal. You can branch out when you're ready.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Day 67…down 24#…still just logging in my foods to worry about calories. Making healthy good choices naturally helps me meet my macros. Simply trying to fit 5 food groups into each of three meals at 500 or fewer calories each meal will guide you and a widely varied diet helps get all the vitamins and minerals in the mix. Portion control covers you for minimizing calories. Keep your varied proteins lean, your dairy fat free if possible, your grains whole, your fruit colorful and lastly, your plate full of vegetables in all the colors. This will be enough to keep you busy while you adjust to a new eating plan. The first couple weeks dish out salt, sugar and fat withdrawals which is the hardest part…just drink plenty of water. Spend time looking for new grocery items to try that are healthful low calorie options…might I suggest my favorite finds…Wasa crackers and sardines, diet pudding and nonfat milk for night time dessert treats, an almond, walnut and a Brazil nut each day, and Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides in your morning cuppa or your smoothie. Our weather has been icky but we try to walk as much as possible, even just walking in place inside if we must. All of it together builds to a reduction on the scale, your pants slipping down your hips and feeling better every day. For motivation, find the next size down in your closet and try them on every morning until one morning they fit. Then find or buy the next size down and repeat.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Meal ideas to give you a template to start on.

Upon waking…8 ounces lemon water with any am medication.

Breakfast meal idea…Egg, poached…1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt…Clementine orange…1/2 cucumber…small bread toast slice with hummus or avocado smear (or) 1/4 cup (dry) steel cut oats with flax seed and 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil. 8 oz. Lemon Water and coffee. Age appropriate multi-vitamin. 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar in 6 ounces body temperature water. 1 teaspoon cod liver oil. ~350 calories

Snack…1 almond, 1 walnut, 1 Brazil nut, nonfat mozzarella cheese stick, celery stalk, 5 cherry tomatoes, 5 green grapes. 8 oz lemon water, green tea plain. ~200 calories

15 minute walk, fastest pace you are comfortable with.

Lunch meal idea…lettuce…small can chunk light tuna…1 teaspoon mayo or miracle whip & 1 tablespoon plain nonfat Greek yogurt…mustard salt and pepper to taste…apple…carrot sticks…1/4 cup low sodium nonfat cottage cheese…Wasa cracker. (Eat as salad, lettuce wrap or on Wasa cracker…more lettuce is better). 8 ounces lemon water, raspberry tea. ~280 calories

Snack…1 almond, 1 walnut, 1 Brazil nut, 1/2 cup applesauce, carrot sticks, small oatmeal cookie (lowfat, low sugar, homemade, bake and freeze one week at a time), black tea, 1/2 teaspoon sugar or honey, 1 tablespoon milk. 8 ounces lemon water. ~290 calories

Dinner idea… 3 oz chicken breast…big serving broccoli…1/2 cup brown rice…cantaloupe….1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt. 4 ounces red wine, 8 ounces lemon water. ~500 calories

Dessert…Twining's honey vanilla chamomile tea, 1/2 teaspoon sugar or honey, 1 tablespoon milk. ~30 calories

8 ounces of lemon water for pm medications and bedside use throughout night.

This is about 1650 calories which would provide “most” with a 500 calorie daily deficit. This should show about a pound a week reduction at the scale. It also includes plenty of water. It is similar to what we try to shoot for in our home since Mr.’s open heart surgery. We use “I can’t believe it’s not butter” spray in lieu of butter. We wipe pans with olive oil, not douse them. We season sparingly with salt but use Mrs. Dash more. The caffeine in afternoon snack is good to pick you up and to help keep water retention down. Lemon in water makes it more palatable if you “hate” drinking water. If you need more bulk like I do, just add raw veg. You can eat 2 full cups for usually under 50 calories. Plain popcorn cooked in the microwave in a lidded Corning dish can give you that after dinner crunching snack…try to keep it to a cup. You might say where is the flavor? After 2 months we are really loving the true food flavors. Our dependence on salt fat and sugar is gone. You can always use low-cal condiments but be careful of sodium content. We try to limit our sodium to 1 mg per calorie but always under 2300 mg. I was down to 900-1000 mg sodium but was getting cramps, headaches and not feeling right so don’t go too far into low sodium.
  • tdkomane35
    tdkomane35 Posts: 3 Member
    @luannslink i agree with you. I’m not so bad with technology but this is the worst App I’ve ever come across and user friendly at all. I have not even started my program yet because I’m still trying to figure it out. Anyone out here who can advise what email address to use to get some guidance on using MyFitnessPal please?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    edited January 2023
    tdkomane35 wrote: »
    @luannslink i agree with you. I’m not so bad with technology but this is the worst App I’ve ever come across and user friendly at all. I have not even started my program yet because I’m still trying to figure it out. Anyone out here who can advise what email address to use to get some guidance on using MyFitnessPal please?

I’ve found the app quite user friendly and I have a low patience threshold.

Look at it honestly. Some folks subliminally want the app to be frustrating so they can blame it for failure. Do you want to actually invest the time in learning to use it and have potential success?

Invest a few hours into reading the “sticky” threads at the top of each board category. Read the threads that resonate with you. Identify the posters who strike you as reliable and informed, versus the ones simply propagating woo woo or po’po’pitiful me posts.

The app is only going to work as well as the effort you’re willing to put into learning it. IOW, same as much of life. How many times have we put something together without bothering to read instructions, only to realize we’d wasted time or ruined something?

YOU, your body and your health are WORTH investing in.

ETA: I’m also eating a hella lot better than the poster above, staying within calories, enjoying tacos last night, lasagna tonight, and not limiting myself to one nut for a snack, counting grapes, or forcing down apple cider vinegar (a favorite topic of woo here on MFP and I will confess, I did that myself before learning better by regularly reading these boards ). My diary is open, btw.
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    luannslink wrote: »
    This is day one and I’m NOT good with technology! Very frustrated. I just want to get ideas for each meal to follow.
    Is it better to count calories or focus more on fat/carbs/sugar?

I can see why this app seems overwhelming to some. I have some family members who have found it cumbersome.

MFP is not a weight loss program. It’s a tool to capture and analyze the food you eat, whatever program or plan you’re following. I like it because I like to eat what I want, when I want. There’s nothing to follow; I just watch my calories and nutrition and try to improve.

If you do want to follow a plan, check out Eatingwell.com. I’m a huge fan for how easy it is to search, and they also have a LOT of 7, 14, 30 day plans depending on your goals, dietary needs, and calorie needs.

You could start by following a plan (the internet is full of them, just make sure the source is reputable) and then enter everything in MFP to start to get familiar with how it works.

• Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    I misspoke above when I said MFP wasn’t a program. I just saw there is a premium feature that offers an eating plan and recipes here. Sorry about that! I had never clicked that button before!