Which books/podcasts helped you during your weight-loss journey?

Options
refactored
refactored Posts: 399 Member
edited January 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
Have you read a book or listened to a podcast that has helped you during your weight-loss journey?
Tagged:

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    My weight loss journey was back a dozen years ago and my go to for nutritional information was and still is google scholar. I preferred to look at the actual raw scientific data as opposed to podcasts, main stream media and docuwhatevers simplly because there's so much misinformation, disinformation, agenda's, bias and just really uninformed persons giving out nutritional advice. Even the scientific data is full of bias and payoffs. It's definitely a mind field and the need to tread carefully is an understatement. Cheers.

I found this stimulating recently.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_7aIgHoydP8&t=2672s
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Probably the MFP forums have been the biggest help to me, but I like the Half Size Me podcast:

https://www.halfsizeme.com/category/podcast/

This book on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for overeating was available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I second Half Size Me - it took me a little while to come around but I love it and it has made a real difference in my life. Also We Only Look Thin.

Both promote small, sustainable habit changes so you can balance your health and fitness goals with enjoying your life so that you can learn to maintain weight loss once you lose weight.