Weight Loss & Health Bible Devotional

Options
Who else has read or is reading Taste for Truth by Barb Raveling? I'm only on day 4 and I feel like she's found all my excuses and put them right out in the front of me to really look at. Painful but needed for sure!

Do you have any other books like this that you have read or worked through? I'd love to hear your experiences or recommendations for books to read after this 30 days is over.

ff58uro0f2xx.png

Replies

• nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I'm reading let God fight your battles for you. I'm enjoying it I'm on chapter 6. I will surely read this one too. I'm sorry hello my name is Sandy I was just excited to see some one else trusting in Jesus to help with weight lose. I couldn't find that book on Google but I'll keep looking for it. I don't know if you've read I deserve a donut it's written by the same woman. I'm going to read to read it.
  • CurvyEmmy
    CurvyEmmy Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Please pray for my weight loss!! I have gained over 100 pounds since the pandemic started. I’m getting closer and closer to 300 pounds and I feel so scared and ashamed. I REALLY need God’s help!! Pray for my fat to be miraculously removed!!! 🙏
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,554 Member
    Options
    nanerkay wrote: »
    I'm reading let God fight your battles for you. I'm enjoying it I'm on chapter 6. I will surely read this one too. I'm sorry hello my name is Sandy I was just excited to see some one else trusting in Jesus to help with weight lose. I couldn't find that book on Google but I'll keep looking for it. I don't know if you've read I deserve a donut it's written by the same woman. I'm going to read to read it.

@nanerkay I Deserve A Donut is actually the companion book & app for this one. Once you're at day 14 she tells you to explore that every time you have the cravings. So if you've read I Deserve you are half way through this one. :smile:
    CurvyEmmy wrote: »
    Please pray for my weight loss!! I have gained over 100 pounds since the pandemic started. I’m getting closer and closer to 300 pounds and I feel so scared and ashamed. I REALLY need God’s help!! Pray for my fat to be miraculously removed!!! 🙏

@CurvyEmmy I actually started at 300 lbs. Keep in mind that was about 13 years ago and I'm still struggling. However, my journey includes things like.... I have PCOS making losing weight very difficult. I finally had a child during that time and even while 9 months pregnant never got back up that high. Moved 500 miles away from home and have been dealing with all the chaos everywhere for the past couple years like everyone else.
    With all of that I never went back to 300 lbs but I've also logged into mfp daily for most of that time. Even if I only logged breakfast then ended up backsliding for the day I always start with trying to check in. I have found accountability is a huge factor for me to stay the course. If left to my own devices I crash and burn.
  • SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The Wellness Revelation by Alisa Keeton is one of my favorites - along with her Revving the Word podcast that drops every Monday. Good stuff!!!

I am currently reading Your Good Body by Jennifer Taylor Wagner - I've only read the first chapter but very good also. (I heard her interviewed on a Revelation Wellness podcast and then bought her book.)

It seems like I have done/read every Christian diet book and Bible study out there.

I've lost about 110 pounds since April 2020. From April 2021 until now I have been focused on learning to maintain this weight. I do need to drop another 25 or so but I am not as worried about that. I'm older so I am also working on toning and strength building exercises. I take zero credit for the weight loss. I paid for a very expensive program and my husband completely changed the way he cooked. Yes, I am the one who gets up every morning at 3:30 to walk (later on the weekends but still pre-sunrise), I chose (and choose) not to cheat or sneak food - but I still give 95% of the credit to God, Red Mountain, and my husband.

I gained a few pounds over the holidays and realized that I was 'self-soothing' with food as we face/deal with my mom's dementia and its seeming rapid progression. With the holidays - sweets and treats were abundant in the office and .... I gained 6 pounds - 3.5 are gone again.

• pamperedlinny
    Options
    @SweetP27 I haven't heard of The Wellness Revelation. I'll have to check that out.
  • GigiShy
    GigiShy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @SweetP27 it's great reading about how you and your husband were able to meet your challenges as a team. How old is "older", if you don't mind my asking. ;) One hundred and ten pounds - that's awesome! I'll look up your recommendations as well.

I'm 59, and I feel in such a better place overall to make changes in my life health-wise. Plus, my husband is on board with the approach we're taking.

I'm truly sorry about your Mom's decline. May you know His comfort and strength as you love her through this season.

• SweetP27
    SweetP27 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    @GigiShy I am 56. Sometimes it feels older and at the same time I feel stuck at 26! lol

• GigiShy
    GigiShy Posts: 21 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I can say that I felt older at 56 than I do right now. Varying health issues started popping up in the years bracketing that age. Some I could address and others I have come to accept. <3
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    CurvyEmmy wrote: »

God can do many things, anything as a matter of fact, but you are expected to do your part. Sitting doing nothing and expecting a miracle is not going to happen. Pray instead about how to make progress, take action and look for supportive friends to back you up & pick you up.

Just a thought...

Best of luck!
  • canuck_OHS
    canuck_OHS Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this book (but thanks for the suggestion), however I follow Kim Dolen Leto and her podcast Fit Gods way. She also has a workbook by the same name that I bought. I've yo-yo'd most of my adult life. In 2018 I became ill with an autoimmune disease and lost 50lbs pretty easily while on ww. However, numerous medications, pre-menopause, 2 major accidents and I have gained back plus. I am at my absolute heaviest weight. My autoimmune disease is in remission but I have high blood pressure and teetering on the edge of pre-diabetes. I've also been working a 12 step recovery program for 2 years and have really been exploring my belief in a higher power and giving up my will to Him. I've never felt happier in life in general and now just need to get healthier. So here I am. I will have to check out this book.
  • pamperedlinny
    Options
    @canuck_OHS I am 11 days into the book and really enjoying it and how it's making me re-think all my food boundaries. I'm sorry about your autoimmune and health issues. I hope your journey gets easier.