Subway

Options
Holy cow .. I thought I was doing good. I had a 6" Cold Cut Combo with American Cheese, Lettuce and Spinach on Honey Oat bread, and a small bag of chips. I even opted to drink water instead of getting lemonade. (I love lemonade)

I go about my business, and just put in my lunch. Really Subway? 1120 grams of sodium for that sandwich?

Has anyone else noticed the obnoxious amount of sodium in Subway sandwiches?

Replies

• Jaytee79
    Jaytee79 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I find most of the sub places are high sodium. Thats processed meats for you I guess.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    yes...that is why i dont get the bread and make my subway a salad.....saves me a load on calories and sodium....you can look it up on their website.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The bread is loaded with HFCS and ammonia. Their meats are super processed, so they are going to be loaded with sodium. They are not nearly as healthy as they promote themselves to be.
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    It's 'fast food', there is a TON of salt in that meat.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    oh yea the sodium kills at subway, it's all in the processed lunch meat
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Next time opt for the Oven Roasted Chicken
  • palmermarc
    palmermarc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy blows ...

:(
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    As soon as I heard cold cut I knew your post was going to be about sodium. Check out other deli meats from the grocery store... they are almost just as bad. I have started baking chicken on Sundays to make my sandwiches with. If I'm in a hurry like today, I won't use more than 2 slices of deli meat. It's insane.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    So that's Subway and McDonalds beaten to death.

Who's next?
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    how about jimmy johns?????
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Holy cow .. I thought I was doing good. I had a 6" Cold Cut Combo with American Cheese, Lettuce and Spinach on Honey Oat bread, and a small bag of chips. I even opted to drink water instead of getting lemonade. (I love lemonade)

I go about my business, and just put in my lunch. Really Subway? 1120 grams of sodium for that sandwich?

Has anyone else noticed the obnoxious amount of sodium in Subway sandwiches?

i know a place like subway can appear to be be good, but in no way is any type of fast food healthy. heck, i wouldn't even trust their salads.

you could probably use low sodium cold cuts, and whole wheat bread (or wrap) and light dressing and make this at home! you need to make the extra effort the night before, if this is something you like to eat for lunch. forward planning is one of the keys to success in this change of lifestyle.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Precessed meat will do it to you every time.
  • Even if you buy your lunch meat OTC from the supermarket it's always loaded with sodium as a preservative. Even the low sodium brands.

If it bothers you that much, you probably have to take it off your menu. If not maybe adjust your water intake accordingly.
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a killer, I feel like I can't eat anything out without drowning in it. I know making my own food at home is the answer and I do most of the time, but even then you have to watch out for the packaged foods being loaded with it and I'm sorry but I don't have time to make everything from scratch all the time. I try to track it somewhat but I don't not eat something because of it. If I see that I had a higher sodium day I will drink an extra bottle of water (2 cups worth). It is one of those things that in a perfect world I would do better on but until that happens I have to take the numbers with a grain of salt (pun intended lol).
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten a lot of responses . . but I just wanted to you to know my own personal experience, nearly identical to yours!

On my very first day on MFP (believe it or not!) I went to Subway thinking, I will just order a healthy sandwich . . I mean, Subway is touted to be "so good for you"? I came back to my desk at work and proceeded to log my lunch only to find out that the ham sub I had chosen was LADEN with sodium and fat. I was floored.

I think the key to eating out is planning ahead! If I plan to go out to eat for lunch, dinner, etc. I will look at the restaurant's website if possible and/or try to look it up on MFP to make the best choices possible. And I try to drink a LOT more water on the days I eat out, to flush out the sodium especially.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I had a six inch sub tonight (in the UK) surely this spec is good in their low fat range Chicken sweet onion teryiaki.

NUTRITIONAL INFO

6" Sub values include wheat bread, lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, green peppers and onions.

Serving Size (g)

Energy (kJ)

Energy (kcal)

Protein (g)

Carbohydrate (g)

of which sugars (g)

Fat (g)

of which saturates (g)

Fibre (g)

Sodium (g)

Salt Equivalents (g)
  • anvacarz
    Options
    I think you just need to rework your sandwich. I had subway last night, and I kept adjusting my choice on their website until it came out with the numbers that I wanted. The honey oat bread starts at 330, so the sodium came from the meats, mustard/mayo if you used any and then cheese, jalepenos, banana peppers, olives, and pickles all add up. My sandwich was about 600 which is still higher than if I had made my own, I'm sure. But, for a "fast food meal" I'll take it! Sodium isn't hiding in any of those things. You know going in that the processed lunch meat will be high as will the veggies that are not fresh and condiments you may add. Go to their site, play with the totals and then remember a sandwich that won't put you over for those times when you need a quick meal.
  • naesue
    naesue Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If you want to buy lunch meant and are looking for a lower sodium one I suggest the Healthy Ones brand lunch meats they are lower sodium then any of the others I know I will look at every single package of the same type of meat and compare before I buy and the Healthy ones are always the lowest in sodium and comparable in calories! Plus if you get the turkey breast from the Deli it is actually turkey breast you can actually see the grains of the muscles in your meat.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    As soon as I heard cold cut I knew your post was going to be about sodium. Check out other deli meats from the grocery store... they are almost just as bad. I have started baking chicken on Sundays to make my sandwiches with. If I'm in a hurry like today, I won't use more than 2 slices of deli meat. It's insane.

It's really shocking to see how much sodium is in deli meats. Many of them have like 680 in 1 serving!! Ridiculous! I do find some at lower amounts but you really have to look at the packages. I guess sodium must serve as some sort of preserver in those meats??!!
  • haterhaze
    haterhaze Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hardly eat out, but if I do, I go to subway. But since I plan my meals the night before, it helps me keep the sodium in check. Here is a subway calculator. You can use this to plan what you are going to eat so it's not a surprise later.

http://www.eddieoneverything.com/nutrition_info/calculators/Subway_calorie-calculator