Is there such a thing as a low carb rice option

Options
It doesn't need to be keto, just not 80 carbs per serving!

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    How large is that serving size? 80gr of carbs is about 280gr of cooked white rice, that's a very large portion in my book
    The only 'low carb' option is eating a smaller portion.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    Options
    What leitchi said.

Or try some other similar side/ingredient that has fewer carbs, like quinoa or chickpea "rice" (really a chickpea orzo-shape pasta).

There are other grains with slightly fewer carbs than white rice, too. It's been too long since I researched to remember, and I was looking for higher protein rather than specifically low carb (butmore protein in X calories implies lower carb). Look some up, see if the nutrient profile meets your needs.
    Some to look at might be millet, spelt, teff, barley, buckwheat, oats, corn . . . .

I think wild rice has fewer carbs than white rice, but it's a very different flavor, plus usually more expensive.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I really like mixing rice with shredded carrot. Yeah, not as liw cal as cauliflaur but very tasty in the right dish, and pretty to look at.
  • leigh940
    leigh940 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    shirataki rice
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    leigh940 wrote: »
    shirataki rice

Good lord I hope that doesn't actually exist. Shirataki is disgusting. But, to the OP, the most well know low carb rice option is cauliflour rice.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Red lentils make a great lower carb high protein option for a side dish. I also like mung beans, and farro is a good higher fiber option too .
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options
    I don't mind replacing 30% of rice with blitzed raw cauliflower. Do not like cauliflower "rice" on its own as it does not absorb sauces such as curry, but replacing some of it is not detrimental to an asian dish. I prefer the texture of blitzed raw cauliflower over cooked but you should experiment with that.

• BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    leigh940 wrote: »
    shirataki rice

Good lord I hope that doesn't actually exist. Shirataki is disgusting. But, to the OP, the most well know low carb rice option is cauliflour rice.
    It does, although I don't see the point of the whole "ricing" thing. I just buy konnyaku blocks. Works for me, and it is the same product, just in the form it is used most often in Japan. If you have a Japanese/Korean/Chinese store in your neighbourhood. It should be easy to find. It is very popular in hot dishes such as oden.
    I should add that they sell both shirataki and the rice-shaped version at Loblaws. That may be helpful if you are in Canada.
    zyn611vy3ymv.png

• BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    ploomka wrote: »
    Red lentils make a great lower carb high protein option for a side dish. I also like mung beans, and farro is a good higher fiber option too .
    Red lentils and mung beans have the added advantage that you can cook them on their own in the rice cooker or mix them with rice to cook them. Other lentils work very well as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Shuamapes wrote: »
    It doesn't need to be keto, just not 80 carbs per serving!

Do check your entry. It would take more than 281 grams of cooked rice to equal 80 carbs per serving. My servings are on the small side, 75-100 g of cooked rice, but triple that seems excessive.

I wonder if you are using an entry for raw rice.

91yghcl3e7be.png

Unfortunately, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that seems to be what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I tend to bulk up dishes normally served with rice by including other "bulky" vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower. I don't really like riced cauliflower or other products designed as direct substitutes, but I can eat a lot less rice (or none) this way and be just as satisfied.

And yes, watch your entries! The raw/cooked can throw a lot of people off.