Need breakfast ideas, please help

Options
emgracewrites
emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
So I’ve been working with a nutritionist lately trying to gain some weight, and she suggested I try some new things for breakfast. Looking for balanced ideas. Bonus points if they can be prepped the night before.

I also have IBS (yay 😞) so I need something that’s relatively easy to digest.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that you need not eat "breakfast foods" for breakfast. Any food you enjoy and tolerate well is fair game.

IBS is pretty individual: What are your personal food triggers?

I was diagnosed with IBS-C, but it's a negligible issue these days with changed eating, activity, and hydration habits.

Things I eat for breakfast: Ezekiel pita with peanut butter, plus nonfat kefir on the side. Oatmeal with mixed berries, blackstrap molasses, peanut butter powder, walnuts, hemp/flax seeds, plain lowfat Greek yogurt. (The latter is pretty caloric, but I'm in maintenance. The calorie-reduced core is oatmeal, berries, Greek yogurt . . . or berries, peanut butter powder, Greek yogurt.)

Other options: Scrambled eggs with veggies. Protein pancakes (like Kodiak). Overnight oats. Any of the many breakfast burrito options that you can prep in advance, freeze, microwave. Egg muffins (it's like a mini-quiche without crust - many recipes on the web). Leftovers from last night's dinner. Hard boiled eggs and fruit. Smoothies, if you like them (I don't).
  • mfowler883
    mfowler883 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My usual breakfast is one of three things with few exceptions.

1: A slice of Sara Lee 45 calorie toast, no butter, topped with a slice of Canadian bacon, 4 tbs of egg whites, a few pinches of fat free shredded cheddar and mozzarella and a splash of Valentina hot sauce.

2: A burrito wrapped in a La Banderita Carb Counter tortilla with half a sausage patty chopped up and scrambled with 4 tbs of egg whites, a few pinches of fat free cheddar and mozzarella and half a little container of this guacamole I found at Walmart.

3: Premade egg bites with 4 tbs of beaten egg whites, half a slice of chopped up Canadian bacon, 1/2 tsp of low sodium bacon bits, a few pinches of fat free cheddar and mozzarella mixed in a muffin pan and baked for 15 minutes or so at 350°F, served with a slice of toast or a tortilla or just eaten by itself, cold or reheated.

Yes, there's a pattern there. LOL. It works alright for me, YMMV...

-m
  • emgracewrites
    emgracewrites Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I know peanuts and peanut butter are a definite no-no. And eating too much sugar by itself, especially in the morning.

The rest I’m still trying to figure out, since I was only diagnosed about three months ago. It’s so frustrating not knowing what’s safe to eat and what’s not. Like my symptoms flared up really bad yesterday afternoon, but the only new food I ate was for breakfast, so I don’t know if the issues were caused by that or by something else entirely.

So now today I have a lot of anxiety about eating, which makes my digestive system act up, which makes me anxious….and the cycle continues.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Look up feel good foodie protein baked oats! It is like eating a bowl of oatmeal and it is filling and healthy and yummy! I add more protein powder than it calls for and I choose the 3x size of the recipe and make in an 8x8 pan that I divide into 4 servings of 2 squares each. On non-training days when I am trying to eat more fat, I do add a bit of peanut butter to help keep my hormones balanced. Check them out! You can add different toppings if you want but I keep them simple to try to keep the macros and calories solid!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I know peanuts and peanut butter are a definite no-no. And eating too much sugar by itself, especially in the morning.

The rest I’m still trying to figure out, since I was only diagnosed about three months ago. It’s so frustrating not knowing what’s safe to eat and what’s not. Like my symptoms flared up really bad yesterday afternoon, but the only new food I ate was for breakfast, so I don’t know if the issues were caused by that or by something else entirely.

So now today I have a lot of anxiety about eating, which makes my digestive system act up, which makes me anxious….and the cycle continues.

I think some people may have missed that you're trying to gain weight, so where recommendations include no-fat or low-fat options, you should consider using full-fat versions, unless that causes your IBS to flare up.
  • KATGIRLNC1972
    KATGIRLNC1972 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I love 2 cooked eggs in a La Banderita Low Carb tortilla, topped with lettuce, onions, pico de gallo!
  • engelhardtmd86
    engelhardtmd86 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1 - 5.3 oz container of Oikos triple 0 Greek yogurt.
    1/2 cup Good Culture skim milk cottage cheese
    1 oz blueberries or strawberries
    6 pecan halves broken up
    1/2 teaspoon or more cinnamon
    Filling, stays with you, good protein sources, and taste like dessert.
  • SoUl_ReBeL2021
    SoUl_ReBeL2021 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Omelet with ham,spinach,bell peppers, onion,mushrooms and Mexican cheese with blueberries and strawberries on the side. Oatmeal with honey,almond milk, blueberries,cinnamon, ground up flax seed. Wheat toast with PB2,banana sprinkle cinnamon on top. Sometimes just Greek yogurt with granola...
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    On weekdays I make a smoothie with 1/2 cup frozen fruit (thawed), 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt, a scoop of protein powder, 1/4 cup of Fibre 1 cereal (obviously skip this if high fibre triggers your IBS), and 1 cup of walnut milk. Dump it all in the blender, top it up with water to the 750 ml line (usually ~1/2 cup of water) and mix. I dump it in a shaker cup and drink it at work. Super fast and easy! And I know a lot of people find liquid calories less filling, so that might help since you're looking to gain.
  • kbmnurse3
    kbmnurse3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some of my breakfasts include: Toasted English Muffin with a slice of Canadian bacon and an egg on each half. I feel like I am eating Eggs Benedict. Plain Greek Yogurt, 1/2 cup fresh or frozen fruit and 15 GM Kind Healthy Grains, Bagel thin with all natural peanut butter and 1/2 banana.
  • alkues
    alkues Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don’t have IBS but I do have UC. It’s been a long time (childhood) since I’ve been in a position of needing to gain weight. When I did I found the easiest way to get the extra calories in was with adding smoothies to my diet. Back then the doctors forced Ensure+ down my throat (🤢) but these days there are many nutrient dense supplements you can add to a basic fruit/veggie homemade smoothie.

As for triggers, the best way to figure that out is with an elimination diet. Cut out all of the foods that are known to be inflammatory (gluten, dairy, eggs, sugar, nuts, etc…you can Google it but it would be better to work with a nutritionist that has experience with IBS) for about two weeks. Then add them back one at a time and take note of any reaction. When I did this I only added back one a week. Turns out dairy is my biggest trigger for flare ups. (That and stress!!! ) Good luck!!!
  • alkues
    alkues Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Ugh, and I just realized you already said you were working with a nutritionist!! Sorry for that!!
  • p_hand
    p_hand Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are super easy. I put 1/2 cup of oats (the 5 minute type, not the instant) with 2/3 cup of milk in a mason jar. Cover and put in fridge overnight. In the morning, mix in banana, raisins, a few drops of vanilla, and a heavy shake of cinnamon. Or any combo you want. It tastes great. Then for protein, some eggs, any way, but hard boiled are great to grab and go.