Need to lose 60 lbs

Options
I need inspiration to see that it's possible. If you've lost 50+ pounds, please post pics and how you did it and how long it took!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds in eight months...then another 15 a year later.

Log your food. Every bite.
    Take a walk. Eat a little more to compensate for that walk.

Simples.
  • Goalthisyear1
    Goalthisyear1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • elaineblog11
    elaineblog11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    good luck on your journey!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,145 Member
    Options
    Four hundred sixty seven pages here, mostly photos, many 50+ pounds. Some of the oldest photos are lost to internet history, maybe start around page 400 per the link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167854/photo-only-success-stories/p400

I can't remember whether I put my before/after on that thread, but lots of people did, and mine are on some threads here, somewhere (including in the extra photos on my MFP profile in web MFP). I lost 50+ pounds at age 59-60 in just under a year using MFP, while severely hypothyroid (but properly medicated) if that matters (I think it doesn't), plus of course post menopause.

Just calorie counting, didn't materially change the range of foods I eat (changed portion sizes, proportions on the plate, frequencies), didn't materially change my exercise routine (already active). Stayed at a healthy weight for 7 years since, same way, now age 67.

You can do it: Just gotta wanna for real.

For me, it was much simpler than I ever expected, though not psychologically easy every moment. I could kick myself for not doing it decades earlier: Quality of life So. Much. Better.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,453 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

You can do it: Just gotta wanna for real.

For me, it was much simpler than I ever expected, though not psychologically easy every moment. I could kick myself for not doing it decades earlier: Quality of life So. Much. Better.

THIS!!!!!!

How bad do you want it? Bad enough to read up and learn and expend the time and energy to weigh and log foods? (It does get easier - and more accurate- after a few weeks).

Agree with Ann. If only, only, only I had done it years ago. But, at 60, I’m grateful to be here, now, and for having got off my couch potato, obese *kitten* to experience the absolute joy of movement.

My before picture is buried somewhere in that thread. That and the NSV (non-scale victories) threads were the ones that keep me going many a day.

• Goalthisyear1
    Goalthisyear1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I lost 100lbs in about 10.5 months in 2018/19. I just tracked on MFP (being super honest). I have gained some of that weight back over covid as the gyms were closed. I then had a super challenging year last year for one reason or another. So back on it to lose that weight but not going to beat myself up about it. I managed to survive a pandemic and one of the toughest years of my life so that was a win for me. The weight will come back off I just need to keep myself accountable going forward.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Weight is lost by eating less calories than your body burns. Always. No matter what weight loss program you follow. Someone has, or does, figure the calorie deficit of the plan. For those of us who have lost on MFP, we figure and record calories ourselves. Successfully lost over half my body weight (140#) in a year, with monitoring by my physician. There are thousands of people who have lost over 50 pounds. The success stories here are/were very inspirational for many of us.
  • springlering62
    edited January 2023
    Options

Hey @Goalthisyear1 the way to “save a thread” is to bookmark it. Putting a dot doesn’t save it, although it does bump the thread.

Bookmark threads by clicking the flag at the top of the page and if there’s replies, they’ll show under the little bell at the very top of some pages, or by clicking your profile pic at the top of the boards page.

0hxh3ecvml5o.jpeg
  • cmriverside
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @springlering62

I often post just a dot...and I don't do it to bump or save a thread. It's usually because after reviewing what I posted I decide it's not worth having to come back and defend my position (oh, yes, I know you all too well,) or it's posted in the wrong thread when I have multiple threads open. :lol:
    The other problem is that there is a glitch on the web version that disallows deleting something that has been typed in the compose box, so sometimes something will be posted accidentally. It's a thing.

• springlering62
    Options
    @springlering62

I often post just a dot...and I don't do it to bump or save a thread. It's usually because after reviewing what I posted I decide it's not worth having to come back and defend my position (oh, yes, I know you all too well,) or it's posted in the wrong thread when I have multiple threads open. :lol:
    The other problem is that there is a glitch on the web version that disallows deleting something that has been typed in the compose box, so sometimes something will be posted accidentally. It's a thing.
    @springlering62

Ah. Didn’t think of that.

I’ve seen it used on other boards either to bump occasionally, but usually as a placeholder so people are alerted to new comments.

🤷🏻‍♀️
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I notice that my posts get double quoted a lot, too. Wonder why that happens?
  • JeffUSA
    JeffUSA Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    l33qy7xlytl2.jpeg

Very doable! Resistance training, clean healthy foods & daily steps… I did zero “cardio” during my transformation. This is a 32 week transformation (still in progress).
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    Options
    Kudos, good job. Cheers.
  • springlering62
    Options
    I notice that my posts get double quoted a lot, too. Wonder why that happens?

Obvs, because you are two times the awesome. 🥰
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    @springlering62

When I see this I always wonder what I missed...
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    124 lbs down (316 to 191).
    58 lbs lost in the first 4 months of the program. 40 lbs down in the next 6 months. Lost 10 lbs a year since.

Track foods. Cut out sugar and bread/pasta, reduced alcohol to one or two low sugar drinks per week, close the kitchen at 6pm. No exercise. Recently started walking.

Broke plateaus by reducing carbs and increasing protein. These days I also cut packaged foods out, but that has been a slow change over time.

qcg8xienfwnh.jpeg

Btw. People love to say on this site that all that matters is calories in calories out. While that might technically be correct about weight loss, there are many foods that are less filling, create insulin spikes, create hunger hormone spikes. Also, if you think it doesn’t matter when you eat, you should do some searches out there and read the enormous piles of medical and scientific journals that prove this is untrue. Not to mention, calorie restrictive diets are proven to be difficult to maintain.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    No pics but I started out at 225 and lost my first 90 lbs on Weight Watchers. This was years ago when only fruits and veggies were free foods. :) I ate what I wanted..mostly....but knew I had to give up some things because I know myself and keeping the points low on pasta was never going to happen.

When I hit a plateau and they changed the program, I moved to calorie counting. I ended up gaining 30 lbs back. (I honestly suspect most of the reason was because I was undereating on WW) but it started coming off again and lost an extra 30 lbs.

Except for the 5 lbs I recently gained back, I've maintained an average weight of 105 lbs for the past 6 years.

With both WW and calorie counting, I ate what I wanted (sans my beloved pasta) WHEN I wanted. Just not as much as I wanted. :)