Brainstorming women needed! Help with style during weight lo

2»

Replies

• ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    Sending each of you huge virtual hugs! Thanks for all the ideas and specific feedback. I think I'll look at it like HIIT, not always fun but definitely worth it.

I'll get a gf and hit Target, LB, FB, Macy's, Nordstrom's, etc. I'll keep an open mind and see what happens and report back!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Old Navy has a plus-size line, only available online that is cut a little differently than the regular stuff, and goes up to I think 26.

You can also try Gap online. The online selection sells 18-20. Also, Gap Outlet does as well. Those are definitely worth a look.

At Macy's, you should try the Calvin Klein jeans. They gap at the waist for me, but based on your measurements, I am probably hippy compared to you, so they will probably fit well. (I have big quads too, since childhood)

Also, check out ASOS.com -- look for the "Curve" Section. They are a little trendy but you can find basics. They also go on sale. FYI: they are cut for people that are more hourglass in shape. Defined waists are the rule there. (UK sizes, so it goes up to more like a US 22-24) Also, if you are looking for skinny jeans that are slim at the ankle (and you have smaller calves) these are a good choice.

Have you tried the UK shop, Evans? www.evans.co.uk. I have a skirt from there, and they have loads of pants in their online collection.

I love Dorothy Perkins, and I have quite a few dressed from there. Another UK brand. They top out around US 20. Dresses are cut for a more hourglass shape. www.dorothyperkins.uk.co

[My body shape is pear w/ a large chest. I wear 18-20, but have narrower shoulders)
  • Tiffanydepiano
    Tiffanydepiano Posts: 169 Member
    OOhhh, Love Torrid!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 531 Member
    The timing of your post is perfect. Sounds like you are looking for some professional women's duds? I shop Macy's for my work clothes, great tailored suits and other casual clothes. They have a good selection of bras in all sizes, but if you can't find a bra there that works for you, DO have them at least measure you so although you think you know your current bra size, if you haven't been measured, it is time to do that. If they still don't have any in the store that fit you, I could go to www.jms.com (Just My Size) They have fantastic variety for all shapes and sizes. Macy's will also have someone help to put things together for you. We are having Macy's come to our office this week. They are doing a presentation on what types of clothes women can select that are in the process of losing weight so you get alot of wear thru a couple of sizes quite easily. Great timing. They had to move it to the auditiorium since the response was so huge!
    If you have Nordstrom where you live, they also have a personal shopper that can assist and they have a wonderful women's department. I go for the higher end stores for my professional wear. For casual wear, I am a Target girl or online at LLBean. Time to step away from the men's jeans, you can get great women's clothes in your size now!
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    My favorite store is Torrid!!! They have a pretty large variety of styles. I like their jean because they sit lower in the waist...I always feel like LB pants go up to my arm pits. I'm a large chested girl as well and Torrid fitted tops tend to run a bit small but their stretchy stuff works great! There's a store in the Northgate mall...and one in Southcenter, I think. Good luck!
  • ResilientWoman
    Funny how I ask my MFP peeps before Google-ing these days. You are all the best! Thanks!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    If you're least willing to pay more for you clothes, Nordstrom has personal shopping which is entirely free and a wonderful resource. I believe you can either do a phone consult upfront or meet with a personal shopper ahead of time to discuss your body, your style, your budget, etc. Then, when you come in to shop they've already pulled multiple items that they think will work and if those initial items don't work, you have someone who knows the entire inventory of the store helping you find additional items.

Obviously, Nordies tends to be pricier but the clothing is generally high quality. I don't think that finding the female equivalent of a beautifully tailored Italian suit would be too big a challenge at a store like Nordstrom.

Good luck!

I'm not for certain, but I think you can get your clothes altered there too. If you have trouble fitting your curves and muscles, a good tailor can be your best friend. This is especially true if you like to wear high powered, structured clothing.

I wear a lot of flowy tops because they are forgiving, and I'm busty like you are. However, that doesn't go well with the butch theme. I actually try to avoid the butch theme, because I have been severely made fun of for my Birkenstocks and manly winter boots. :) I still wear them, but I try to mix them up with girly clothes.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    I never wore dresses either, but since I discovered that it was ok to wear leggings under them, I'm all in. LOL.

However, I buy a lot of tops from Kiyonna Clothing online, in particular I have this shirt in 3 colours:

http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clothing/Tops09/28101801

I wear them with trousers from an Australian plus size brand called 'Taking Shape':

http://www.ts14plus.com.au/Shop_Collection/Shop_By_Category/Pants.htm/

I know the tops are 'a bit' girlie, but you've got a whole bunch of curves coming out, flaunt them :)

(By the way, by bra size is 20 F, I think that converts to 42 G US, and I don't have any problems with the neckline being too low).
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    I recall feeling oddly sad to melt my way out of Lane Bryant 'cause the staff in any part of the country were always so damn helpful and kind. Torrid staff too. I got a pair of good jeans at Torrid long ago. LB had lots of good sales on t-shirts and bras.

Right now I got to Nordstrom Rack as I melt my way through nice jeans. They have lots of styles in larger sizes and the mark downs are pretty good, occasionally great. There's one in Lynnwood and there's a Target not far away. Target has been great too. Good stuff on the clearance racks.
  • jadedone
    For any of you DDD+, try Figleaves.com for Bras. They have a big selection of bras and some styles even go up to K.
    I am a very annoying 36H/38G (LB/Torrid doesn't carry my size, apparently they don't think it is possible to be a 34 or 36 with a G. :P I also find I need to go down a band in LB so i am SOL)

Anyway, Figleaves is based in the UK, but they handle returns through a distribution center in the US.

Check it out! (They even have sizes like 28F and other rare ones.)
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    I second LB online- much less 'girlie' than in store, and the 'right size' line is made for women not twigs. Also, if you're in a large city and are still changing sizes I would suggest scouting out larger thrift stores, and resale shops. I live in Ohio and we have Ohio Thrift, Clothes Mentor and Plato's closet. I just picked up 2 pair of jeans, 5 shirts and 5 dress shirts for my husband for $28.00. I've managed to transition from a 16w to a plain 16 and/or large, and the hubs gone from a 17.5 collar to a 16.5 collar in 3 months. He has far less to lose than me, but the shirts we got for him still had the Macy's tags on them, and we paid $2 a shirt! The larger thrifts and resale shops have the larger name brand clothes I've noticed. You do have to scrutinize the items, but its a great way to get a few things to carry you over. I have 3 pairs of jeans and a Sag Harbour sweater to take to Clothes Mentor to sell as they're now too big on me.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    I just went to K&G last night... OMG you must go to there!!! They have SO many fantastic power suits. I should have taken a picture of the one I was looking at. It was in the plus size section (shut up I still go there out of habit) and it was dark gray pinstripe, instead of a jacket it had a vest and they paired it with a BEAUTIFUL purple satin button up. It was AMAZING. AND all their suit seperates are on sale right now!!! Buy one get 2 free!! Seriously! 2 suits for $160.00! And they have one in Southcenter! :bigsmile:

Here's the website... check it! OH! ANNNNND they have a tailor on site! (or at least they do at the one in Tacoma).

http://www.kgstores.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Nav_11153_10053_-1_N____/Suits-Suit-Separates/@/N-1iZ2/Ne-8/catID-59981/more-23?cm_vc=63148
  • jadedone

I didn't realize it was a chain. The one near my house has the crappiest quality clothing I have ever seen. Glad that not all are equal.
  • I like the longer style shirts that tie up under the beast and flow from there down to the thigh ish region. Great with leggings or jeggings and will still look good as you drop sizes. The tie under the breast line draws your eye to the smaller regions...pretty much everyone can look good in them:)
  • ResilientWoman
    I just went to K&G last night... OMG you must go to there!!! They have SO many fantastic power suits. I should have taken a picture of the one I was looking at. It was in the plus size section (shut up I still go there out of habit) and it was dark gray pinstripe, instead of a jacket it had a vest and they paired it with a BEAUTIFUL purple satin button up. It was AMAZING. AND all their suit seperates are on sale right now!!! Buy one get 2 free!! Seriously! 2 suits for $160.00! And they have one in Southcenter! :bigsmile:

Here's the website... check it! OH! ANNNNND they have a tailor on site! (or at least they do at the one in Tacoma).

http://www.kgstores.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Nav_11153_10053_-1_N____/Suits-Suit-Separates/@/N-1iZ2/Ne-8/catID-59981/more-23?cm_vc=63148

I so want to go tomorrow!
  • ResilientWoman
    For any of you DDD+, try Figleaves.com for Bras. They have a big selection of bras and some styles even go up to K.
    I am a very annoying 36H/38G (LB/Torrid doesn't carry my size, apparently they don't think it is possible to be a 34 or 36 with a G. :P I also find I need to go down a band in LB so i am SOL)

Anyway, Figleaves is based in the UK, but they handle returns through a distribution center in the US.

Check it out! (They even have sizes like 28F and other rare ones.)

Can't wait to check them out!
  • I can't believe no one mentioned thrift stores!!! I love shopping at the ones by my home, and I will even make the trek to the swanky part of town (secondhand Talbot's and Banana Republic work for me!) and I always find something in my size. This was especially helpful when I was in between sizes and I didn't feel bad buying something for $5 when I knew I was going to shrink out of it soon enough. Also, if you have some friends who are also losing weight, try a clothing swap. It helps you get rid of clothes you no longer fit into (for good reasons) and can help them unload things they no longer wear.