Nursing mother NEEDS to know...

Options
2»

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    As for your issue with breast feeding vs dieting/exercise- Try just focusing on your amount of calories you are suppose to have a day to feed your child- and make better food choices to get those calories that will help as well- So when you do decide to stop breastfeeding you are already eating healthier food and then you can kick up your workout routine--

But again talk to your doctor and your childs Pediatrician-- if you were close with your Nurse Practioner give her a call maybe she can help you as well
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    no advice this way my kids were formula fed-- Also try talking to your doctor and the pediatrician- That is the best people for you to talk to-- Mfp is great for ideas but if you are starting to dry up since your saying you aren't getting as much then you need to talk to someone as well--

Im sorry some of you ladies breastfeed until your child is 1 or until over 1 wow-

Breast Milk is best for the first couple of weeks-- Im sorry hope I don't offend I just got a mental pic of a 1 year old lached on..

WOW! I am nursing my 11 month old & you really did offend me. Do NOT be sorry for me, Mrsyac. I am doing what I think is best for my children, just like you did what you think is best for you children. Please remember that breastfeeding is a personal choice & refrain from juding those of us that chose to breastfeed to 12 months or longer.

BTW - are you a dr.? Do you know for a fact that breast milk is only "the best for the first couple of weeks?"

Actually I work in a high risk maternal fetal medicine office and after posting I went and asked questions-
    Sorry I offended you I thought about my children who were off the bottle and formula at 1years old- To each is own yes it is a choice to breastfeed I don't see nothing wrong with breast feeding a newborn baby what-so-ever- Just got thrown of course that a 1 year old is still attached to a breast or bottle when they should be drinking from a sippy at 6-7 months old -- and bottles should still be there but limited and the child should be eating food
    And yes I did go and ask around the office- First couple weeks are the most important due to immune system..

But you still aren't a doctor. The first couple weeks are the MOST important, you are correct, but that doesn't mean that the child doesn't benefit from breastfeeding beyond that.

My children were also on sippy cups at 6 months (breastmilk & water) & eating baby food at 6 months, but I was still nursing them. When your children were eating baby food at 6 months old, were you not also still giving them formula? I am honestly surprised that you were "thrown" that a child could still be breastfeeding at 12 months old.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    no advice this way my kids were formula fed-- Also try talking to your doctor and the pediatrician- That is the best people for you to talk to-- Mfp is great for ideas but if you are starting to dry up since your saying you aren't getting as much then you need to talk to someone as well--

Im sorry some of you ladies breastfeed until your child is 1 or until over 1 wow-

Breast Milk is best for the first couple of weeks-- Im sorry hope I don't offend I just got a mental pic of a 1 year old lached on..

WOW! I am nursing my 11 month old & you really did offend me. Do NOT be sorry for me, Mrsyac. I am doing what I think is best for my children, just like you did what you think is best for you children. Please remember that breastfeeding is a personal choice & refrain from juding those of us that chose to breastfeed to 12 months or longer.

BTW - are you a dr.? Do you know for a fact that breast milk is only "the best for the first couple of weeks?"

Actually I work in a high risk maternal fetal medicine office and after posting I went and asked questions-
    Sorry I offended you I thought about my children who were off the bottle and formula at 1years old- To each is own yes it is a choice to breastfeed I don't see nothing wrong with breast feeding a newborn baby what-so-ever- Just got thrown of course that a 1 year old is still attached to a breast or bottle when they should be drinking from a sippy at 6-7 months old -- and bottles should still be there but limited and the child should be eating food
    And yes I did go and ask around the office- First couple weeks are the most important due to immune system..

But you still aren't a doctor. The first couple weeks are the MOST important, you are correct, but that doesn't mean that the child doesn't benefit from breastfeeding beyond that.

My children were also on sippy cups at 6 months (breastmilk & water) & eating baby food at 6 months, but I was still nursing them. When your children were eating baby food at 6 months old, were you not also still giving them formula? I am honestly surprised that you were "thrown" that a child could still be breastfeeding at 12 months old.

when I think of breastfeeding I think of that latched on a breast- I know that you can pump as well- I was just caught off guard with that mental picture- There isn't anything wrong- Yes at that time when my kids were transitioning into food they did receive formula- I know it is said the atleast 1 month breastfeeding and then up to 12 months- But like I said the mental pic I had was a child latched on the Breast- -
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    Well, then you pictured me. It isn't like I have a 5 year old coming up, lifting up my shirt & asking for a drink to do with his cookie.
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean mrsyac2... my 6th month old is the size of a one year old (22 lbs) and it is really difficult for me to nurse comfortably.. he is so big we just cant get in a good position half the time.. I dont know how people can nurse 12months and up, but i give them props..

I watched this show on dateline or one of those a few weeks ago and these women were breastfeeding a 9 year old. :huh: . now that is CRAZY...and i have no problem telling any woman that, if they are still breastfeeding at that age!!!!!!!!
  • Theresa35
    Theresa35 Posts: 1,102
    Options
    I'm sorry you have such a horrible mental picture of an act that is truly precious and also nature's choice for nourishing our children.

I have breast and bottlefed my children...and there are pros/cons to each situation, family, and child. The original poster did not ask for advice on the benefits or reasons why it should or shouldn't be done...she already made her decision and is breastfeeding and also pumping (which I highly commend, because it's not an easy thing to do), she simply asked for help with breastfeeding in conjunction with weight loss.

Again, I'm saddened to hear that such a special moment between mother and child presents such motification to you.
  • emibmas
    emibmas Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water while breastfeeding. Also standing in the shower and allowing warm water to hit your breasts will help produce milk. I breast fed my children for the first year for their lives. This is what helped me. :flowerforyou:

A side note....breastfeeding is a fragile subject which should be talked about very carefully. If you have not done it, then you really have no basis to comment here.
  • Venusjems
    Venusjems Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water while breastfeeding. Also standing in the shower and allowing warm water to hit your breats will help produce milk. I breast fed my children for the first year for their lives. This is what helped me. :flowerforyou:

A side note....breastfeeding is a fragile subject which should be talked about very carefully. If you have not done it, then you really have no basis to comment here.

Yes, the shower thing works for me too. It seems no matter if i just fed 10 mintues before, after i get out of the shower i am "full" again!
  • WannaBHotMommaN2010
    Options
    :indifferent: I'm SO sorry I started something here...I just needed some tips, I certainly hope I did not offend anyone.

I don't know if I could nurse until she's a yr old, but certainly hope to "pump", if possible...and if not, that's fine too. She's already on baby food...and I had my other two completely off bottle at 9 months...and am hoping the same for Calyssa.

I too saw that show on TV, and was completely apauled! But, like someone said, to each his own...I certainly aint throwin stones. More power to them, but honestly, I don't even let my 6yo girl and 4 yo boy see me nurse my 4mo baby!! Guess I'm just too modest.

I'm hoping to keep at least pumping for the next few months. I have enough milk in my freezer (180+ bags) to last her through...just don't wanna let go.

Sorry everyone got the wrong "picture" here. Certainly don't wanna start an offense to anyone. Just open for suggestions and thoughts. :flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    Options
    :indifferent: I'm SO sorry I started something here...I just needed some tips, I certainly hope I did not offend anyone.

I don't know if I could nurse until she's a yr old, but certainly hope to "pump", if possible...and if not, that's fine too. She's already on baby food...and I had my other two completely off bottle at 9 months...and am hoping the same for Calyssa.

I too saw that show on TV, and was completely apauled! But, like someone said, to each his own...I certainly aint throwin stones. More power to them, but honestly, I don't even let my 6yo girl and 4 yo boy see me nurse my 4mo baby!! Guess I'm just too modest.

I'm hoping to keep at least pumping for the next few months. I have enough milk in my freezer (180+ bags) to last her through...just don't wanna let go.

Sorry everyone got the wrong "picture" here. Certainly don't wanna start an offense to anyone. Just open for suggestions and thoughts. :flowerforyou:

You posted it as a "nursing mother" post. Everyone should have known what they were getting into when they opened the thread. You did nothing wrong. :flowerforyou:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Because of infections in my c-section incision and other issues, I was only able to breast feed for about a month with my son.

I am 14 weeks pregnant and am definitely going to try again and hope I can continue for at least 6 months and maybe to a full year.

Thanks for the great information ladies! You will be the ones I come to when I am needing advice about it!!

:flowerforyou:
  • WannaBHotMommaN2010
    Options
    Thanks. :ohwell:

I just need advice on how to lose weight while still nursing.
    Sorry to have opened a can of worms, sorta speak. I meant well.:ohwell:

Never thought about the shower thing...now that it's been mentioned...happens all the time!

Anyone have ideas on the types of foods that are best, that are packed with protein?
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    Kudo's to all of you mothers who are able to do this for your baby's first year of life.

Like Tami- I could not breast feed past 1 mth. I plan to have another child and hope that I am able to be more successful that time around.

Everyone should do what is best for them, their child and their situation!
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    1st, this is a great thread. And we our here to voice are opinions on how to help you out. That being said, people always have different opinions and some get pretty passionate about them. Not your fault at all. You might have to weed through some little arguements, happens all the time and it's nothing to do with you or your question.:wink:

2nd, protein?! Yogurt is great, although not usually a low cal food. Nuts are wonderful, also not low cal. Chicken, if you're not a vegetarian is a wonderful thing. Fish is good. You know, milk, cheese...I don't think anything that is naturally high in protein is gonna be really low cal, but you get the idea.

Lastly, to the ladies who think nursing an older child is not their cup of tea. I just want to say, I grew up all over the world...literally. And in lots of countries where formula and cows don't abound, some women will nurse til the child is 5 years old. I don't think I'll do that, but "Whatever." :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Those children don't end up emotionally messed up by it I assure you.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options

I'll just add, you didn't offend me. But your whole, "I'm sorry some of you ladies breastfeed" bit is entirely uncalled for and unhelpful.