need a new veggie side dish

Options
lmr9
lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
I'm tired of my usual line up -- broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, corn. Or at least how I'm preparing them - which is just plain steamed. Have any new ideas for me? I need something different to go with my grilled chicken tonight. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Charise317
    Charise317 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    We do baked sweet potatoes
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Roasted vegetables are delicious and easy. Quarter or cube them, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake from 30 to 45 minutes in the oven. Tonight, I'm going with fingerling potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets, parsnips and carrots - kind of a root veggie bonanza.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    try something crazy like making your own sweet potato fries or maybe go for the spaghetti squash! its wonderful with a little marinara sauce
  • nannyx6
    nannyx6 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    steamed zucchini and squash with some fat free cheese grated on top
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Take any one of those and make them into puree... caulfilower is an awesome sub for mashed potatos too!

I love making puree... gives me something to dip my meats into.
    I do it in my magic bullet...

veggies + low sodium chicken broth + greek yogurt + spices = yum
    (i usually just nuke the veggies first before putting in the blender)
  • Faery7
    Faery7 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Trader Joes veggies. They have one called Beans so Green it has a little bit of flavor to it too... also Trader Joes Organic Foresome. Those are my staples right now. Hope this helps :)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    pico de gallo is excellent with grilled chicken - chopped roma tomatoes, red onion, jalapenos, and cilantro. Squeeze a lime and add a little bit of salt and pepper.

I also love to make a salad with as many vegetables as I can find - green leaf and spinach, celery, tomato, bell pepper, cucumber, onion. Sometimes I chop the grilled chicken and put on the salad, and to make it really delicious, throw warm brown rice on top of the salad too. It gets the lettuce warm and delicious.

Sauteed spinach (or any greens) in a tiny bit of olive oil with a lot of pepper.

Any steamed veggie tastes better with a little bit of fresh squeezed lemon juice and red pepper flakes (I like the heat though). That would give you an option to keep cooking the same things but change the flavor a little bit. Hope this helps!
  • likeaphoenix
    likeaphoenix Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    i agree with the spaghetti squash idea (very easy, and truly delish with marinara)

Roasted Brussel Sprouts are THE BEST!! Many easy-peasy recipes online :) It's almost like an entirely different vegetable.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I agree with the baked sweet potatoes...yummy! Also a baked potato with no butter with some low fat sour cream or sauteed fresh veggies with whatever you like. I love sauteed yellow squash, with fresh mushrooms, onions, green bell peppers, okra. (whatever you have on hand, fresh or frozen) Your possibilites are endless:)
  • kaywhyzcu
    Options
    I usually need more calories so I am able to cook with olive oil :)

On zuchinni if you add some onion and garlic then 'fry' them in a tbsp of Olive oil it comes out so tasty and the onion and garlic add alot of yummy flavor. You could probably use less oil as well. Its does give them the 'steam' effect so it holds alot of its flavor!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Roasted is definitely the way to go. For root vegges and brussel sprouts: Cut into chunks, drizzle with EVOO, sprinkle with sea salt or Lipton Onion Soup Mix (watch out the Sodium is high) then roast at 400 degrees for 40-50 minutes
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Well, I tend to prepare the same veggies but i can give you a couple of different ways to make some. For Brussels sprouts, I saute some sliced onion while I boil the sprouts for three minutes. I cut them in half if they're big. Then drain, add to the onion, a bit of salt and a couple tablespoons of :vinegar. My husband used to think he hated Brussels sprouts. He loves them now.

Broccoli: http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

It calls for olive oil and parmesan, but you can adjust how much you use to fit into your calories requirements. Very tasty!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Zucchini:
    Prep - Cut it into 1/2" chunks.

Heat some olive oil in a pan on med heat. Add some minced garlic and sautee it until just brown. Add your zuchini and some onion (if you want) and cook until done.

I also do this with fresh green beans and it's very good.

Asparagus:
    Prep - Cut it into 1" segments.

Sautee in some olive oil until tender. Transfer to a baking pan and top with some fresh grated parmesan cheese. Bake until done. This is also good with garlic on it.

Sweet Potatoes:
    Prep - Cut into 1" chunks.

Toss with olive oil, sea salt, and oregano. Bake at 350 until done.
  • twowheelhooligan
    Options
    Around here we have had a bunch of skinny zucchinis. They are about 1 - 1.25 inches in diameter, maybe 6-10 inches long. Take a peeler, skin one strip, skip a strip, etc the length of the vegetable. Then grill or broil them. We'll add "SPIKE" seasoning. Cook to your liking of tenderness. Go on the shorter side if you don't want them getting soggy/mushy on you. Grilling them will be quite tasty get that char on them.

DELISH!!!

Another one is with mini yukon gold potatoes, cut up yams, carrots and parsnips. Cook those, and it's a good hearty vegetable side. Goes well with a locally grown pork-chop!

Best of luck and happy grilling! :)
  • kknudson
    kknudson Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Corn on the cob if you can still find sweet corn!
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Steam 4 cups of broccoli in the microwave for 5 minutes (with just two TBSPs of water in the bottom of the bowl), and then once it's done, toss it in 1/4 Calorie-Wise Italian dressing, and if you'd like, add 1/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese....SO yummy!
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I make this with chicken lots:

Peel and cut 1 sweet potato into circles. Toss with 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced, 2 Tbsps olive oil, and salt and pepper. Raost until tender, about 20-25 minutes at 425. Toss potato mixture with 2 cups spinach, 2 Tbsps lime juice and dash salt. Makes 2 servings.
  • Legalchica
    Options
    I'm tired of my usual line up -- broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, asparagus, brussel sprouts, green beans, corn. Or at least how I'm preparing them - which is just plain steamed. Have any new ideas for me? I need something different to go with my grilled chicken tonight. Thanks! :flowerforyou:

GRILL THEM!!!! I grill zucchini and asparagus ALL the time. Get some spray on olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. YUMM same spices work for both. I will also throw in some cayanne if i feel like something spicy :)