Weightloss with phentermine

Options
For those of you that have ever used phentermine to lose weight how did it go for you?? Did you notice it helped you tremendously or no? I am 270 lbs and I started it today.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Oh, wow. So sorry, Elphaba1313.

I didn't think they still prescribed it! Such a dangerous drug. :frowning:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    I didn't internalize healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it. And now I am on medication for heart palpitations.

Here's my favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Despite some doctors’ willingness to prescribe it, it is not safe. I don’t recommend it at all.
  • alisha9575
    alisha9575 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So I'm going to say this is day 4 of taking it it has not given ME very much of a heart rate increase just a little bit I'd say, it definitely stops ME from being hungry and I am now down 5lbs already from where I started on Monday. I do have a headache now I'm not sure if I'm getting sick since my daughter is sick too or if it's because I'm not used to this medication yet. Every weightloss tactic that isn't completely natural is going to have it's risks, but so is being severely overweight. So I will keep going to see what I can do on it. Also diet and exercise must be modified and maintained after stopping this pill or you will gain weight again.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,647 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    alisha9575 wrote: »
    So I'm going to say this is day 4 of taking it it has not given ME very much of a heart rate increase just a little bit I'd say, it definitely stops ME from being hungry and I am now down 5lbs already from where I started on Monday. I do have a headache now I'm not sure if I'm getting sick since my daughter is sick too or if it's because I'm not used to this medication yet. Every weightloss tactic that isn't completely natural is going to have it's risks, but so is being severely overweight. So I will keep going to see what I can do on it. Also diet and exercise must be modified and maintained after stopping this pill or you will gain weight again.
    You have not 5 lbs of fat in 4 days you’ve lost water. You don’t know what you’re doing so you need to stop.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,999 Member
    Options
    alisha9575 wrote: »

My bold

so why couldnt you just modify your diet and excercise in the first place and skip the pill starting bit?

and like others have said, you havent lost 5lb of fat in 4 days - you may have lost that amount of water and you may lose at a higher rate than others if you are severely over weight - but that would happen anyway