2023 Cycling Challenge

Replies

• Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,142 Member
    Missing a few days for a bit of recovery. Slipped on the ice and fell down my deck steps. At 74 I don't bounce as well as I used to! lol!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Somebody sent (?) a Strava request? From this group? Anywhoo,,, I accidently punched sweaty fingers onto the slippery phone screen trying to answer a phone call, in the glaring sunshine, and somehow messed it all up, whatever was sent. :)
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,119 Member
    Tues, Jan 10
    20 Min Peloton All-Star Ride (Peloton): 6.84 miles
    5 Min Cool Down Ride (Peloton): 1.30 miles

Previous: 43.44 miles
    YTD: 51.58/2023 miles complete
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,065 Member
    @allaboutthecake - Sounds like a fun challenge

Previous 40.24
    Today 20.12 miles
    YTD 60.36/2023
  • wendsg
    wendsg Posts: 655 Member
    Oh no! @Bill70sStrong I sure hope you have a quick and thorough recovery!!!

Another slow ride today, keeping that 10 miles a day minimum promise to myself. Ankle was very stiff after the 3.5 mile walk for the Tour de Zwift stage 1 run (that I'm not running, but Zwift doesn't care if you stroll, as long as you're walking >2.5 mph so the run pod registers lol). Riding loosened things up, fortunately.

Ride - 10.00 miles
    Previous - 129.20 miles

Total - 139.20 miles / 2023 miles

Link - https://www.strava.com/activities/8370438927
  • Bill70sStrong
    @wendsg - Thanks for your recovery comments, much appreciated!! Got tired of being idle and eased back into it today. I think the movement helped loosen me up!

Previous - 66.76
    1/10 - 12.98
    Total - 79.74/2023
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    edited January 2023
    Few days late getting started for this year but would like to join.
    January miles
    1/10 - 4.5 - outdoors road bike
    YTD - 4.5
  • Mari33a
    Got up early so I would have it done before work. I need to put oil on the bike as it squeaks/moaning a bit when I'm standing pedaling.

Previous 60.36
    Today 20.12 miles
    YTD 80.48/2023
  • wendsg
    @Bill70sStrong Glad to hear that riding may have done you good!

@SteveCro Welcome to the challenge! Never too late to join (unless you're joining in late December, that is lol). Glad to have more riders!

So. Y'all ever have one of those days where you set off with a goal in mind (in this case, 100k), you're feeling great and grinning and just having a grand ol' time filled with fun and glee... and then when you note you only have 9 miles left to goal, your body says '&*#$ OFF' and you struggle, groan, (mentally) scream and decide that cycling is the stupidest sport ever devised by homo sapiens? Yeah, today was one of those days. Foot felt great until the last 9 miles. Knees were complaining during harder efforts throughout, but was tolerable. Hip didn't start wailing in agony until I had to dismount the trainer. Wrists are sore.

Of course, I'll be doing a 10 mile ride tomorrow lolz

Ride - 63.03 miles
    Previous - 139.20 miles

Total - 202.23 miles / 2023 miles

Link - https://www.strava.com/activities/8377259927
  • Bill70sStrong
    edited January 2023
    @wendsg - great ride today despite those pain in the *** aches and pains! And yes, of course you'll be back at it tomorrow.....#*&# bike!! lol

Previous - 79.74
    1/11 - 15.04

Total - 94.78/2023
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    edited January 2023
    January miles
    1/10 - 4.5 - outdoors road bike
    1/11 - 5.61 - outdoors road bike
    YTD - 10.11
  • Mari33a
    @wendsg - Wow that was a excellent ride aches and pains and all! Well done for pushing through!
    I've just got an ordinary spin bike and added Garmin Edge with speed and cadence sensors but haven't figured out if that's enough to use Zwift.

I got another 20 miles done this morning.

Previous 80.48
    Today 20.13 miles
    YTD 100.61/2023
  • wendsg
    @Mari33a If you speed and cadence sensors output in either BLE or ANT+ you can synch them with Zwift (and that's all you'll need - Zwift will estimate your power based on speed and cadence if that's what'cha got, so no need for an expensive power meter). If you're using iPhone/iPad/anything with MacOS or iOS, they won't detect ANT+ because they exclusively sense BLE - for those, you'll need one more piece of equipment - a Viiiiva heart rate meter. That beautiful little device acts as a bridge between ANT+ and BLE. It's what I used when I was onboard my last ship and riding LifeFitness i7 bikes in the ship's gym (those bikes have a built in power meter, but it only emits ANT+ so I needed a bridge so I could Zwift).

Managed a workout ride today. Short efforts are doable with this mangled foot o' mine. :smile: And I wanted to save something for tomorrow's Tour de Zwift Stage 2 ride - it's a 31 mile route (plus I'm doing the 'run' tomorrow as well for Stage 2, meaning I'll be walking 3.75 miles on the treadmill before riding the bike). Legs were plenty toasty from yesterday's effort, making this one tough but doable.

Ride - 11.00 miles
    Previous - 202.23 miles

Total - 213.23 miles / 2023 miles

Link - https://www.strava.com/activities/8381161684
  • Mari33a
    @wendsg Thanks a lot for this info! I use an iPhone so this explains why it won’t connect. The phone does pick up my speed cadence & heart rate monitor but only the speed & cadence connect with Zwift & not the heart monitor. The heart senor isn’t Ble but the others are. I was checking on Amazon & can get the viiiva for around €60-70. I’ll get one ordered in the morning. Thanks again
  • wendsg
    edited January 2023
    @Mari33a I'm glad I could help!! That Viiiiva and its app with that bridging ability saved my sanity when I was stuck onboard our ship in the shipyards (fast cruising for a solid week, so next to the pier, can't go home, and nothing recreational to do outside of the gyms). I even made a makeshift cellphone sleeve out of a paper protector and duct tape to hold my phone on the bike, and ran an extension cord through the overheads so I could drop power to my phone during longer rides LOL

ETA: Another great thing about the Viiiiva? It has a long battery life and is a good, accurate heart rate meter, so even when you don't need its bridging abilities anymore it's still a useful piece of equipment. I now use it when I run on the treadmill so I can track my efforts, even though everything in my house runs on BLE and I have no need for an ANT+ bridge anymore.

Today was Stage 2 of the Tour de Zwift! Did the run at a walk pace thanks to foot (it whimpered but didn't scream, so that's improvement, right?) and then after a short break hopped on the bike to finish that stage. Did the long one so I could get the associated route badge (it's the only one I didn't have in Zwift thanks to it being a new route) and finished without getting lapped on that gnarly 3-lap course. Yay!

My legs will punish me for this later. 😝

Ride - 30.09 miles
    Previous - 213.23 miles

Total - 243.32 miles / 2023 miles

Link - https://www.strava.com/activities/8386598914
  • wendsg
    @ashleycarole86 Ack!!! Sure hope your recovery is smooth and quick!!

Easy spin today, keeping that 10 miles/day if able promise to myself.

Ride - 10.04 miles
    Previous - 243.32 miles

Total - 253.36 miles / 2023 miles

Link - https://www.strava.com/activities/8391925921
  • ashleycarole86
    ashleycarole86 Posts: 6,119 Member
    @LeighAnn7777
    Hop on in (or in this case, pedal!)
  • LeighAnn7777
    LeighAnn7777 Posts: 11 Member
    @LeighAnn7777
    Hop on in (or in this case, pedal!)

Thank you so very much. I’m still getting the hang of MyFitnessPal too. Sorry.