Eat before or after walking?

Options
Just wondering if it’s better to have something to eat for breakfast before I go for a walk or better afterwards? Does walking on an empty stomach increase cortisol- the stress hormone?
Tagged:

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter. Do what feels right for you. If you don't feel well walking before breakfast then don't do it. If you like a bit of fresh air before starting the day and enjoy it then do it. Cortisol can increase water retention, but again, it depends on you. And water weight is not fat weight, which I assume is what you want to lose.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You will have to experiment and see what works best for you. It will also depend on how much you eat. You could try a little something light---yogurt, or a coffee before, and your major breakfast after.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    How far are you walking, and how tough is it - up hill, trails, etc? Or a couple of miles fairly easy?

For me the answer to those questions changes the answer. I will happily walk/run up to 6 miles before breakfast, just have juice before I go. But of course I built up to that distance.

At the weekends I go for longer, it's a lot of uphill and tough terrain. I wouldn't do that without eating first, and would normally stick a cereal bar or something in a pocket in case I want it.

There's not really a right or wrong way.
  • I_AM_ISRAEL
    I_AM_ISRAEL Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you want to maximize fat loss, fasted cardio is best. The stress hormone released when exercises or doing physical activity is waaaay different from the stress that comes from worry.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    If you want to maximize fat loss, fasted cardio is best. The stress hormone released when exercises or doing physical activity is waaaay different from the stress that comes from worry.

Cortisol is cortisol. Exercise is "beneficial stress" but it's still stress.

Retroguy's right about the fasted exercise myth, too.

OP, most important factor is how you personally feel doing your walk fasted.

Some people feel more energized for workouts if they do them fasted, or find that eating before working out causes them digestive distress.

Others - like me - find that their workout quality suffers if they don't eat.

You may find different effects with different food choices, or different exercises. Experiment.

Subjective factors like that are going to be much more important, in a practical sense, than any tiny theoretical advantage.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's really a matter of personal preference. I tend to exercise fasted in the morning because I don't like the feeling of a full stomach when working out. For a casual stroll such as walking the dogs I'm good either way.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    If you're doing a nice long walk for fitness, do it when you wish. If you're a morning person and don't like to eat when you first get up, walk first. Or not.

I have read, and I'm sure this will be confirmed or refuted here, that at least a short walk AFTER eating a meal aids in digestion. Anyone?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

Fasted cardio may burn fat initially however as the day goes on and you eat, it all balances back out again. Also many people have more energy to do their cardio with more intensity or longer if they're in a fed state. Bottom line? Do what's convenient.

As an aside, Make sure you're prioritizing resistance exercises over cardio or at least not relying on cardio exclusively for fatloss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    If you're doing a nice long walk for fitness, do it when you wish. If you're a morning person and don't like to eat when you first get up, walk first. Or not.

I have read, and I'm sure this will be confirmed or refuted here, that at least a short walk AFTER eating a meal aids in digestion. Anyone?

I don't know about that, but have understood from some of my diabetic friends that a walk after eating helps them with blood sugar control. (I don't know that that's universal.)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    Thanks @AnnPT77

There's so much misinformation and disinformation out there regarding nutrition and food-related health. My dad asks me things about nutrition from time to time, and I always preface my answer that, "Nutrition science is a very young science, and we are often finding that things we once found to be correct weren't actually correct."

I remember in the '70s when the "wisdom" was to eat margarine instead of butter. I always said, "Eat butter; just don't eat the whole stick." Turns out I had a reasonable interpretation. Who knows what I've currently got wrong that I'll learn about tomorrow, next week, or in 2033?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

All I can tell you is that here, in Italy, it is tradition to go for a long walk after holiday meals. I can remember when the cousins and aunts and uncles all went walking after, all together--chatting all the way. This after a huge meal at my MIL's. We would see lots of others doing the same. The walk would last at least an hour, and lot's of times much more.
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio in the morning. Mainly because I don't want to do anything time consuming that gives me time to talk myself out of going to the gym. I wake up, go to the bathroom and take off to the gym. Haven't felt sluggish working out so I kept with it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

Fasted cardio may burn fat initially however as the day goes on and you eat, it all balances back out again. Also many people have more energy to do their cardio with more intensity or longer if they're in a fed state. Bottom line? Do what's convenient.

As an aside, Make sure you're prioritizing resistance exercises over cardio or at least not relying on cardio exclusively for fatloss.
    Actually it doesn't. You burn carbs first and foremost when you do physical exercise. And unless you're hitting the "wall" or slowing down your cardio to just a light walk, you're not touching any stored fat. Believe it or not, you burn the most body fat at rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Actually it doesn't. You burn carbs first and foremost when you do physical exercise. And unless you're hitting the "wall" or slowing down your cardio to just a light walk, you're not touching any stored fat. Believe it or not, you burn the most body fat at rest.

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor if you’re fasted and your glycogen is depleted ( the goal of fasted cardio) then you will be burning more stored fat than if you were in a fed state. To reiterate, as the day goes on and you eat, it

IDEA Fitness member

The goal of fasted cardio is to be in a glycogen depleted state. If in fact you actually ARE glycogen depleted then you will burn more stored fat at that time than being in a fed state however that is a temporary condition and at the end of the week your calorie consumption will determine fat loss\gain and not whether you did cardio in a fasted state. My observation is that people do fasted cardio are all slow SS.

I am no fan of any type of fasted exercise.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I don't know if it aids in digestion but my grandfather always took a walk after the evening meal like clockwork...but I would presume it was largely just his thing and kind of a tradition.

As to the OP, I walk in the AM in the summer first thing. I can't really eat at 5:30 AM and don't typically have breakfast until after 8 AM at the office. I usually just have my to go thermos of coffee with me on my walks and watch the sunrise. It's a beautiful way to start a day...I just can't hack it in winter though as it's too cold and dark at that hour.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If we're talking calories in/calories out, I don't think it really matters when and how you do your exercise, with or without food. I've done it without food and after food, and continued losing weight at a reasonable pace. I've never fussed about cortisol and stress hormones - walking outdoors reduces my stress and clears my head. Have done first thing in the morning, or after dinner. Depends on whether I'm in the mood for a sunrise or a sunset!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works for you and makes it the most likely that you will continue with your physical activity consistently. It doesn't matter if your stomach is empty or full.

I'm not sure you really need to worry about your cortisol ... walking isn't going to increase it much ('intense' activity may).

If I'm going for a walk, I don't care much really --- however, if I'm going on a run I will try to do that with an empty stomach simply bc I don't like how I feel if there's food in there (I belch/get indigestion). So I do it fasted, but that has nothing to do with losing weight or not.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor if you’re fasted and your glycogen is depleted ( the goal of fasted cardio) then you will be burning more stored fat than if you were in a fed state. To reiterate, as the day goes on and you eat, it

IDEA Fitness member

The goal of fasted cardio is to be in a glycogen depleted state. If in fact you actually ARE glycogen depleted then you will burn more stored fat at that time than being in a fed state however that is a temporary condition and at the end of the week your calorie consumption will determine fat loss\gain and not whether you did cardio in a fasted state. My observation is that people do fasted cardio are all slow SS.

I am no fan of any type of fasted exercise.
    And while that's the goal, to be in total glycogen depleted state doesn't happen unless you're hitting the wall. At that point, most people wouldn't even be able to move. Ultra runners and marathoners are better at not letting that happen, but for the average gym goer/runner, they aren't burning stored fat the way they think they are because they doing cardio fasted.

IDEA Fitness member