Need some motivation

Options
I recently fell off the eating healthy lifestyle. I gained about 15 lbs over the last month or so. I’ve been depressed, stressed, tired, and unmotivated. I really need someone to do this journey with. Workout partner, recipe sharing, and be supportive of each other.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Welcome to MFP.

I’d just like to point out that stress and exhaustion can actually create temporary water weight gain as well as actual “fat” gain.

It may not be as awful as you’re thinking.

Do you have any options to reduce the stress, and have you tried any methods to help with the exhaustion?

Have you ruled out that there’s no physical reasons for exhaustion, such as iron deficiency, illness or lingering Covid issues?

I’m sincerely sorry that something (or someone) is causing you so much stress that they’re affecting your health to such a degree. I’ve learned from experience, don’t place control of your own well-being in someone else’s hands, even unintentionally. It’s not as precious to them as it is to you.
  • OnTheRoad24
    OnTheRoad24 Posts: 212 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

I have long said to not put a lot of credence into scales... too unreliable, too many variables. How do you feel, how is your health and how do you look are what's important... at least to me. I'm back at it again.

Find a healthy diet plan and work it. Do some regular exercises stay consistent and be persistent and good things will happen!
  • Cali_girl43
    Cali_girl43 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey I’m also looking someone to share this journey with.
    Fell of the wagon this last month and now that the holidays are over, I feel I can focus on me a bit more.
    Feel free to add me :)
  • LN2023
    LN2023 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I’m trying to get back on track too. 😊
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I think what helps me most is getting into a routine. You're not always going to be motivated, so it's really not a reliable weight loss tool. You have to tell yourself that checking in, staying on top of your diet, etc. is something you just DO. Not because of motivation, but because that's your routine.

Think about it like this, are you always motivated to go to work? No. But you go, because the benefits of going usually outweigh the benefits of not. Your weight loss should be the same. You do it because the benefits from sticking to it will far outweigh what will happen if you don't.

So to sum it up, you don't need "motivation", you need discipline and routine. You need to "go to work".

And remember, it just takes a few pounds lost to start feeling better. A few more to start looking better. And even a few "off days" won't ruin it.
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love routine also.
    Today, just make one big change. Drink your water instead of “X”. And weigh and measure everything and log it. See where you are at really in habits.
    Tomorrow, go for a fruit and veg shop and set yourself up for success. (Walk a loop through the store first for extra steps).
    Next day, eat veggies at every meal. Limit protein to healthy lean cuts only.
    Just keep making strides.

My motivation will never be yours, and vice versa…BUT sometimes I go stand naked in front of the mirror when I have a bad habit craving. The image staring at me wins out. We started due to Mr. having a blocked artery and open heart surgery. It scared us straight. Who do you want to be healthy for. As women, we usually steer the household, cook the meals, serve the food…who do you cook for that needs your good decisions? Maybe your loved ones can benefit from your healthful cooking more than your waistline?

Meditate, dig deep, reflect inward, pray to your higher power and get brutally honest with the woman in the mirror.
    I am not an expert but I know that we build on our own successes. They all come from that first step forward. You are your own best hero. You did it before, you can do it again. Pull up some of your old days menus and start there. You took a month off, 15 pounds up, okay…now stop the excuses for taking another day off and get to it. You are a warrior, go fight your fight and conquer!
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The best way I've found for me to decrease stress and lose a little weight is to take a 20 minute to one hour long walk. When I don't feel like doing it, I put on my tennis shoes and jacket and berate myself a little ("you're all dressed for it, get yourself out the door!"). Start with an evening walk around your neighborhood, before or after dinner, breathe in the air and snoop through your neighbor's windows (ha!) and admire the landscaping. After a while, check out nearby parks. And call up a friend and suggest going for a walk together then grabbing a cup of tea at your favorite cafe. Walking outside isn't a punishment, but an opportunity to gift yourself less stress and ultimately feel more in charge of your day. Here's a silly thing I've done: bought a paper calendar, and every day I write down how long my walks are. Every day I walk, I draw in a gold star. I'm not kidding, I'm a child at heart and this little weird act motivates me!