Cholesterol change? Eating more eggs...

Options
Just a question.... Since I've been counting calories and doing workouts (about 3 weeks now) I've noticed my huge staple is EGGS. I love them but wow, I eat a lot of them. Most times at least 4 a day. I was curious, I've never had a cholesterol problem before, have any of you noticed an issue if you are eating more eggs than usual?

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has very little effect on serum cholesterol.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options

Can you dumb that down for me please? Is "serum" cholesterol what they test when they do blood work?
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have heard from a couple of different sources that the average adult can consume 7 eggs per week without affecting their cholesterol levels.

I believe your genetic component is a much bigger factor though, and a lot of the studies that have been done on saturated fat and cholesterol have been blown out of proportion. :-)
  • NicolioRussell
    Options
    Start eating egg beaters if you are worried. All the taste and usefulness of real eggs without any of the cholesterol. And much lower in cals.
  • Goomph
    Options
    Mine was under control with pils for quite sometime. Then I started to go bananas with eggs, two every morning for weeks. And tons of shrimps too.

And then went for a blood test, and my doctor told me that my Cholesterol was higher then usual and switched me to a stronger pill. When I asked her about egg consumptions, she told me, sure you can eat them, one or two a week. I was too embarrassed to tell her that I have been eating two a day ...

I did not go for another test yet, when I do, I will try to post it.

As Lockef stated my dietician also told me that the cholesterol we eat barely effects the amount we have in our blood. I guess if mine still is where it was last time, I will start eating eggs again :)
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    HDL is the good cholesterol. Eggs, Olive oil and others have this. This kind of cholesterol cleans your veins and is quite helpful in the right amounts. Bad (LDL) cholesterol causes problems. If you're not overdoing it you should be ok.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was really worried about that until I researched it. Eggs - particularly the yolks - are one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. As a dietary source of cholesterol, things aren't always what they seem. When you ingest cholesterol, your body senses that you've eaten it and will temporarily turn off the production of it in your liver and studies have actually shown that eating eggs lowers the bad cholesterol and raises the good. Eat up.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

Can you dumb that down for me please? Is "serum" cholesterol what they test when they do blood work?

The cholesterol you eat has very little effect on total cholesterol. As a matter of fat, the more cholesterol you eat, the less your body has to make and the majority of people will actually see their cholesterol levels go down, not up.

how is that for a simple explanation?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eating cholesterol doesn't necessarily give you high cholesterol. Japanese people eat more eggs per day than anyone on planet and have some of the lowest cholesterol.

Eggs are awesome.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Mine was under control with pils for quite sometime. Then I started to go bananas with eggs, two every morning for weeks. And tons of shrimps too.

And then went for a blood test, and my doctor told me that my Cholesterol was higher then usual and switched me to a stronger pill. When I asked her about egg consumptions, she told me, sure you can eat them, one or two a week. I was too embarrassed to tell her that I have been eating two a day ...

I did not go for another test yet, when I do, I will try to post it.

As Lockef stated my dietician also told me that the cholesterol we eat barely effects the amount we have in our blood. I guess if mine still is where it was last time, I will start eating eggs again :)

Carbs from grains, beans and sugar has more of an effect on cholesterol and the damage that leads to heart disease than fat or cholesterol.

There is no way I would every touch statins with a 10 foot pole. NEVER.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I have heard from a couple of different sources that the average adult can consume 7 eggs per week without affecting their cholesterol levels.

I believe your genetic component is a much bigger factor though, and a lot of the studies that have been done on saturated fat and cholesterol have been blown out of proportion. :-)

I eat anywhere from 3-8 eggs per day on a lot of days and my cholesterol has now dropped to an unnormal low. My cholesterol had always been in the normal range, but started dropping big time when I removed the processed carbs out of my eating plan.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i eat an average of 2 a day and have very low cholesterol. i wouldn't worry about it. keep exercising and choosing nutrient dense, non-processed foods and you should be able to keep your level in check.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options

Actually, I have heard that dietary cholesterol (cholesterol from food) is reflected in serum cholesterol (cholesterol in our blood) but that serum cholesterol is not linked to heart disease. So basically, cholesterol can tell us how a person eats, but it doesn't predict disease.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Does-Cholesterol-Cause-Heart-Disease-Myth.html
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Actually, I have heard that dietary cholesterol (cholesterol from food) is reflected in serum cholesterol (cholesterol in our blood) but that serum cholesterol is not linked to heart disease. So basically, cholesterol can tell us how a person eats, but it doesn't predict disease.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Does-Cholesterol-Cause-Heart-Disease-Myth.html

It does have an effect, but not that much. I've read studies where it's changes is ~10% of your total, and even then, your body adjusts over time.

Also yes... unless your cholesterol is >350 , the amount of cholesterol in your blood is not a good predictor of CVD.