What's Your Most Recent NSV

Replies

• elspectre
    elspectre Posts: 26 Member
    Hi. So I have been logging in forever but not doing anything. I have diabetes and just found out I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure I now weight more then I ever have in my life. Today is the first day of my healthy life. Went back to the gym. Felt good to move.

Well done! Glad you're feeling good. They won't all be great, or easy, but you're on a good path.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Do you have access to a very accurate scale, like a balance scale? Maybe at a gym or a doctor's office? It might be nice to know how accurate your scale is. I presume it's a digital scale. If not, you can adjust the zero.
    Just look for sales of medical scales. They are the most precise, the most durable and the most consistent. How accurate a scale is, isn't really all that important. What is important is that the (in)accuracy is consistent. If you have a scale that gives you a weight and then a higher weight immediately after going to the bathroom, that is the worst. Good scales will not do that.

I have a beam-style medical scale and it is arguably the best investment I have ever made for tracking my weight and it is quite likely going to outlive me.

That's precision.

Accuracy is getting close to the bullseye, at least on average. Precision is putting every arrow through the same hole. What you want most is precision. The skew is less important to track changes.

If you actually want to know the actual weight, then accuracy becomes important, too.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Do you have access to a very accurate scale, like a balance scale? Maybe at a gym or a doctor's office? It might be nice to know how accurate your scale is. I presume it's a digital scale. If not, you can adjust the zero.
    Just look for sales of medical scales. They are the most precise, the most durable and the most consistent. How accurate a scale is, isn't really all that important. What is important is that the (in)accuracy is consistent. If you have a scale that gives you a weight and then a higher weight immediately after going to the bathroom, that is the worst. Good scales will not do that.

I have a beam-style medical scale and it is arguably the best investment I have ever made for tracking my weight and it is quite likely going to outlive me.

That's precision.

Accuracy is getting close to the bullseye, at least on average. Precision is putting every arrow through the same hole. What you want most is precision. The skew is less important to track changes.

If you actually want to know the actual weight, then accuracy becomes important, too.
    That is the message I was trying to convey. I don't really care about my exact weight (unless it is 10 kg or so, obviously ^_^), but when I compare to another scale, I like the difference to be consistent and the most important thing for me is that 10 weighings give me the same result within the precision of the scale, in my case 50 g, but I don't even look at that, I take it by 100 g. That way I only have one digit after the decimal point and not two.

But you are right of course, sometimes we do need/want to have our weight in absolute numbers instead of relative ones. The advantage of most digital scales is that you can tare them. My scale is mechanical and has the possibility to adjust the zero, but not nearly enough to zero the weight of my clothes for example. But then, I know that anyway, so I just subtract it.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    ACDodd wrote: »
    The are usually pretty accurate however but they can also be way off. If the person leans back while they are weighing they can change the weight.
    Indeed. I can do that on my Seca scale. Leaning back or forward can make about 100 g difference, and that is precisely the reason I ignore the 50 g markings and also take the direction the indicator goes in into account: when I step on the scale and it goes up, I take the lower 100 g marking after it stabilises. When it goes down, I adjust until it goes up, adjust back until it goes down, and take that marking again. That gives me the lightest weight, but that is not really important when one weighs more than four or five kgs and chances are we all weigh significantly more. What is important, is consistency, because that makes it possible to track evolution. It does not take oodles of time, just mere seconds, and it is worth consciously doing that, for accuracy's sake.

• AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 85 Member

"I heard her slam some papers on her desk and then she said,” well, I guess we don’t need to worry about you, then.”

She did ask for the spreadsheet. I don’t think she believed me, lol. Sometimes, I don’t even believe myself. "

Spring, I love this so much!! You're my idol!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!