Eating Healthy is too expensive!!!!

Options

Replies

• tresmom08
    Options
    Thanks to all of you that offered POSITVE feedback. I will let my husband read your tips and ideas and sit down with him to make a plan. I was just feeling a little overwhelmed and frustrated...but I have to get it together for my family because they are depending on me.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    What's more important that your life fuel? Healthy food is my #1 priority of what I spend my money on. As others said, pay now or pay later with bad health, pain & suffering, medical bills. etc...

And we can blame a lot of the prices on government subsidies in the U.S. to unhealthy food corporations. They lobby with cash to the gov't, FDA, etc to make unhealthy food created with artificial chemicals more inexpensive and legal to sell. And even moreso, the reason it's cheap is because it's CHEAP, some 'food' so far removed from nature and created in a lab that of course it's inexpensive to make, but at what price to our health?

Edited to say:
    I totally understand the part about not having time.... I am struggling big time trying to find time to chop up fresh veggies, etc... it does get frustrating. But I just try to think that it's worth it.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you that offered POSITVE feedback. I will let my husband read your tips and ideas and sit down with him to make a plan. I was just feeling a little overwhelmed and frustrated...but I have to get it together for my family because they are depending on me.

Good luck to you! Don't be overwhelmed. There are a lot of options out there...
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    So, on September 20, 2005 my father had massive stroke following quadruple bypass surgery. For 25 years he didn't listen while the doctors begged him, (after multiple cardiac "incidents") to eat healthier and exercise more. When he finally "left" the hospital 25 days later his hospital bills totaled more than $350,000 dollars. Although, to me that number is meaningless. He actually paid the ultimate price for unhealthy, lazy eating, he paid with his LIFE.

I mean this with the utmost love and compassion-- get it together. Your family needs you to eat healthy. They need to eat healthy too. Please read all of the helpful comments here and make a plan. MFP is here to help you. You CAN do it if you make it a priority.

This. All of this.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Well I look at it like this, a little more money now for no hospitalization or multiple doctor visits in the future..In the end it would be cheaper to just eat healhty. I know it's pricey, but it benefits, trust me I see it all the time.

^^^^ This. . . . It will cost a lot more in medical bills if you end up with life long medical problems. . I watched my dad go through a whole list of medical problems and medications because he wouldn't change his fitness and dietary habits before it was too late. . . but after he had a heart attack. . the heart was damaged and then there was only so much they could do. . And that was just one of the things. .

So what I am saying is I am glad to see that you are on the road to health even though it may have taken your grocery bill up a bit. . . Fresh veggies and fruits are relatively cheap though if you watch for sales. .
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a magazine with 15-minute healthy, low cal meals.

As for scheduling:

FLYlady.net

You got this!

I am SUCH a FlyBaby!
  • sharifit53
    sharifit53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Family of 4, used to eat 2 hamburgers each, at $3 per pound that's 8 hamburgers 2 pounds $6 plus 1 pkg buns $2.50 = $8.50 for our main course.

Now eat 1 hamburger each, that's $3 + $1.25. I now have $4.25 to spend on a pound of strawberries and a package of frozen vegetables.

Now I have a 3 course meal at the price of one. I'm not finding it more expensive, really... the tough part can be saying "no" to all the other things they want you to buy along with. I have found that if I don't reserve budget money for ice cream or other nonessentials, I'm ok budgetwise.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Two words......STIR FRY.

You can throw anything in it that is nutritious. The veg, noodles, bits of meat.......all can be done in different ways and is healthy and filling.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Use the low cost oil/air filters, put the wrong transmission oil in your car, don't bother with a front end alignment or replace your belt, your car is going to last 1/3 of what it could if you spend a little time performing....

*preventative maintenance*

You could look at it the opposite way and say eating unhealthy is cheap. They need to lure you to the darkside somehow.
  • LycosNyctereutes
    Options
    I agree that eating healthy CAN be more expensive than not, if you're eating the dirt cheapest food you can buy- like ramen noodles. But fresh produce is so much cheaper than frozen or even canned. And tastes so much better. Especially if you grow it yourself or get it from a farmer's market. To anyone that's never tried home grown instead of industrial grown veggies, you will not believe your mouth! The difference is huge. And it can be cheaper, depending on where you live, no drought, etc.
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but so many of you swear by crock-pots. My mom used one for a few years when they first got popular (when I was a kid) and the darn thing caught on fire while everyone was gone to work and school and we almost lost our house. I have never left one (or anything else) unattended in my own home. Do you guys use some kind of surge protector or something? How do you ensure that it won't catch on fire while you're gone?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating healthy CAN be more expensive than not, if you're eating the dirt cheapest food you can buy- like ramen noodles. But fresh produce is so much cheaper than frozen or even canned. And tastes so much better. Especially if you grow it yourself or get it from a farmer's market. To anyone that's never tried home grown instead of industrial grown veggies, you will not believe your mouth! The difference is huge. And it can be cheaper, depending on where you live, no drought, etc.
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but so many of you swear by crock-pots. My mom used one for a few years when they first got popular (when I was a kid) and the darn thing caught on fire while everyone was gone to work and school and we almost lost our house. I have never left one (or anything else) unattended in my own home. Do you guys use some kind of surge protector or something? How do you ensure that it won't catch on fire while you're gone?

Uh, most crock pots now a day's have an automatic shut off feature.. so if it gets too hot, then it just shuts it's self off.

Also, my dad is retired and doesn't go anywhere.. so he's a pretty good crock-pot watcher :)
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    Frozen vegetables! They're healthy, pretty inexpensive and they last...no throwing anything out. I have 3 kids....so I totally get the whole budgeting thing. Frozen vegetables are my best friend.
    mine too!
  • tresmom08
    Options

Good question....I'm so paranoid about that myself.
  • TrekkerCynthia
    TrekkerCynthia Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I get my produce at Hispanic and Asian markets, so much cheaper there. Learn to make casseroles using ingredients like beans, rice, quinoa, whatever grains you prefer. These can be frozen in single size servings. It's time for you to change your children's palate as well, eventually they will rather have real food than fake, and think what you are doing for their health.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 ingredient cookbook that is my bible for my family of 4! I do find that now that my grocery bill is about 30 more a week that I've been buying more fruit and veggies. I am trying to cut back on other things to make the difference It does suck some weeks since we do live paycheck to paycheck with very little to spare.
  • Wingmistress
    Options
    AND......it's WAY cheaper buying GOBS of frozen veggies than GOBS of crap like pizza rolls and junk.

Agreed. Since I'm cutting out the crap and opting for healthier choices (for me and my children), my bill isn't any different and they are satisfied. You just need to do a little homework for rewards later. In the end, you won't be spending anymore and you and your kids will be healthier for it :)
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I get my produce at Hispanic and Asian markets, so much cheaper there. Learn to make casseroles using ingredients like beans, rice, quinoa, whatever grains you prefer. These can be frozen in single size servings. It's time for you to change your children's palate as well, eventually they will rather have real food than fake, and think what you are doing for their health.

I agree! I find that the big chain stores around here are crazy overpriced, so unless you find a really good sale and coupon, it is pointless shopping there (this week they are advertising $1.99/lb for peaches and other fruit... how is that a good deal!) but definatly try and find some ethnic grocery stores, I've also had great luck with super cheap produce and meats. The meats are the same brands and often I find the produce to be even fresher and tastier!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about the farmers markets (local growers) or frozen veggies. A lot of fresh things can be easily frozen, so do some google searching, and load up when you find a deal.

Last fall, I found huge green and red peppers at the farmers market, like 5 or 6 for $2. I bought a whole load of them, chopped them up and froze them (did them on a cookie sheet first, so they didn't get all stuck together). We grabbed a few out at a time and threw them in chili, quesidillas, etc...all winter long. I freeze sweet corn (cut off the cob and roasted), and we can and freeze tomatoes from our garden.

Whole wheat pasta, brown rice and beans are always inexpensive filler items that will help make a meal. Also, watch for sales and when you find deals on meat, freeze that too!
  • tmaksparkie
    Options
    Ok I don't mean to sound like a sour puss but I feed my family of 4(including a teenager) and my husband really eats for 2 and 6 daycare kids and my father in law, yes that's 11 people and my weekly groceries are $150-200 dollars. To me it is always an excuse and I say that because their is always a way to do it, maybe cutting out something else, we cut out our satellite, share garbage service with a neighbor and cut out all processed food because price per ounce clean real food is cheaper. I know how you feel but I really just have to brush it off we are busy people these days. Here is what I do every week. I run a daycare from 6am-5:30pm I have children 6-8of them and 3 under 2yrs. We have preschool time, then some free play outside then I feed all of them 2 meals and a snack, then I make my own lunch and snack for me and my father in law, included in one day 3 loads Laundry, 2 loads dishes, 6-10diapers, then my kids get home from school help with homework activities at school whatever, in between their somewhere scrub toilet and floor from the day, make supper for 5 people get another load of dishes in, and off to the gym(5 nights a week) get home and maybe get to bed by 10:30pm. And get up at 5am and do it all again. Saturday I spend at trainings for daycare and have all the shopping to do for a week worth of supplies and food, and Sunday I spend cleaning the house and disinfecting toys to be ready for the week. So yes we are all busy so gather up your pride as a mom and put it in your pocket and move on. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My mom used one for a few years when they first got popular (when I was a kid) and the darn thing caught on fire while everyone was gone to work and school and we almost lost our house. I have never left one (or anything else) unattended in my own home. Do you guys use some kind of surge protector or something? How do you ensure that it won't catch on fire while you're gone?
    That is terrible! I would assume that they are built different now. Did it have a timer? I've heard of toasters catching on fire, but never a crockpot! :ohwell:
    One option would be to use it only when you are home - like overnights, evenings or weekends, rather than during the day.