Doubts

Options
I have been trying to lose weight for 3 years. I am on the verge of being overweight but not obese. No serious health concerns caused of my weight (slightly high cholesterol is all), and I realized that being only mildly overweight is killing my motivation at night. I have discovered when I reach for the bowl of cereal at night before I go to bed, its the voices in my head saying " you're not THAT overweight, why worry yourself with losing weight? You have so many other things to worry about. You've been stressed all day, You don't have to care about your weight, alot of people don't and they are overweight and happy. don't stress"
So I eat the cereal, even though I wasn't really hungry and I go to bed. I wake up feeling farther from my weight loss goal, feeling like i am not going to ever make it, feeling undisciplined, like I can't trust myself to reach my goal. Anyone have tips to battle those doubts at night and stay motivated and calm the doubting voices in your head?

Replies

• fakidomutitsa
    fakidomutitsa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The thing we all do wrong is that we justify ourselves for everything. We pat ourselves on the back even though we might be doing harm. I’ve been there, done that. It certainly didn’t help me lose weight. Once I started thinking and telling to myself that there’s no excuses for being overweight and it’s merely my fault, I realised that if I don’t act on it I will just have to deal with the fact that I’ll be like that and I’ll have really no excuse for that. I can’t even describe how good I feel now that I’ve lost the weight. I hadn’t realised being overweight affected me in so many aspects. I dropped so many things that I thought as normal. Pain in my back gone. I always thought I must have some spine problem or smth definitely not related to weight. And I wasn’t even that much overweight.
    My advice is stop excusing yourself. You can do anything you set your mind to, you just have to keep your eyes on the price. It’s hard in the beginning but the outcome deserves it all. And the pride you’ll feel about yourself for achieving your goal is gonna be pretty rewarding afterwards. At the moment you just let yourself down by indulging in your thoughts. Sure it’s easier to just not do something that our mind consider as “needing a lot of effort”, but the aftermath will be that either you’ll just feel *kitten* about yourself, either disappointed with a low self esteem. It’s a vicious circle that only you can break 😌
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    rmwood57 wrote: »
    I have been trying to lose weight for 3 years. I am on the verge of being overweight but not obese. No serious health concerns caused of my weight (slightly high cholesterol is all), and I realized that being only mildly overweight is killing my motivation at night. I have discovered when I reach for the bowl of cereal at night before I go to bed, its the voices in my head saying " you're not THAT overweight, why worry yourself with losing weight? You have so many other things to worry about. You've been stressed all day, You don't have to care about your weight, alot of people don't and they are overweight and happy. don't stress"
    So I eat the cereal, even though I wasn't really hungry and I go to bed. I wake up feeling farther from my weight loss goal, feeling like i am not going to ever make it, feeling undisciplined, like I can't trust myself to reach my goal. Anyone have tips to battle those doubts at night and stay motivated and calm the doubting voices in your head?
    Cereals are sugary, they have no satiating power whatsoever, they are virtually nutrient-free and, at most, they keep you busy until you finished the bowl. You could try to eat a bowl of microwaved vegetables, or drink a nice hot black coffee or tea followed by sugar-free chewing gum. Those are two things that work for me. Not always, but usually.

Another mitigating step could be to switch your cereal for something that is less bad. My favourite is Smart Bran. It is still an industrial cereal, it is still junk, but because about 65% of its calories come from fibre, it is much less of a disaster than other cereals and it has (in my opinion) a very pleasant flavour and structure.

The point is this: instead of unthinkingly grabbing for what we know, it is a Good Idea to look for lower-energy alternatives that we also like, or even like more, until we find them and then stick with those.
    Success. You CAN do it.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Your post reminds me of where I was for many years. I straddled that overweight/obese line, but was otherwise in really good health, was even pretty active, had much of the rest of my life in order, and even ate pretty healthily - I just ate too much, and while I was unhappy with my weight I had resigned myself to just being fat. It seemed out of my control.

I can't remember what really flipped the switch. This was in early 2021. I started reading the forums here instead of just doing the diary and learned how to log better. I learned that when I did try to lose weight I had a bad habit of going too hard and crashing and burning. For long-term success I probably needed to eat more, just at a smaller deficit. And I won't say the weight just melted off, but it did come off. Steadily, and I could make small adjustments here and there. I got meticulous about how I tracked which for me was really helpful because I could then observe trends rather than getting discouraged by hyperfocusing on one (seemingly) bad data point. And while at first I was frustrated about the pace, in one year, I lost about sixty pounds, and really never felt more than moderate discomfort about the whole thing.

I gained some back during my most recent pregnancy and so am back to it, and while I do have my moments of frustration (I really am a horribly impatient person 😅) I know it will happen, it just takes time. Weight loss (and maintenance after) are about trends over time - you eat, on average, less than your body needs to lose, and then you eat, on average, exactly what your body needs to maintain. You learn how by doing it.

I have a friend who dropped some weight just eliminating "night cereal." I don't know the precise numbers but she wasn't very overweight ever to my eyes, but definitely looked thinner after a few months. She didn't want to do the level of precision I do but the same principle was in play - she ate less, and over time the weight went away. How many calories is that bowl of cereal? How many bowls to lose one pound? One pound is about 3500 calories. One pound may not be much, but compound that over weeks and months, and it could be a lot.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,408 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Join us at the: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10880779/no-late-night-snacking-january-2023-challenge it’s amazing that small steps can produce a great leap toward a goal.
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don’t mean to sound like I am tossing out diagnoses on the internet (as someone with no medical background to boot), but have you considered whether you might be suffering from depression? I gained a lot of weight after recovering from cancer and chemo related/medication related ailments. Part of it was due to depression and I distinctly remember thinking things like “I am not fat enough to really care about it yet” which is sort of how I read your comments. I was not thinking these things because I felt great and happy and healthy about my body. I was thinking them because I was not happy with my body which had been tortured and mangled and I was scared about life going forward at that moment, so I just didn’t care about being healthier.

If you want to stop eating cereal before bed try to reframe it. It is not a snack. Regardless of what one thinks of cereal and its nutritional value, it is marketed and meant to be eaten as a meal. So maybe to break yourself of what might be an apathy induced habit having nothing to do with actual hunger, remind yourself as you reach for your “night cereal” that you are sitting down to what people consider a full meal and ask yourself whether you are indeed hungry for a full meal or whether you have eaten enough.

But if there is other stuff going on (and isnt there always for everyone?) don’t let it go without looking after yourself mentally as well as physically. The physical side of health is much easier to manage when your outlook on life shifts back to where it is meant to be.
  • lauraalicehatfield
    Options
    It's tough to lose weight, no matter what the cause (overeating, hormonal, physical limitations, etc.). What woke me up was getting diabetes, knowing that I had lost lots of relatives (most NOT overweight) to the disease.

I've lost over 50 pounds and kept it off, mostly by changing a couple of things. 1 - I started logging into myfitnesspal daily, using advice from a professional nutritionist (I'm very lucky because my insurance pays for her every 8 weeks) on macros, and 2 - increasing exercise in both large and small ways.

For example, I removed my chair from the TV room and can only watch TV while sitting on my rowing machine or bicycle, unless I want to stand and lift small weights. I got my weight equipment used, total of about $250.

I stopped eating out except in real instances where I could not get home in time (diabetics risk hypoglycemia from not eating). Keeping my hands busy while rowing also prevented me from eating while watching TV....until I started logging in my food, I really never realized how much I was snacking. It isn't easy at first, but when the pounds start dropping off you really do feel so much better that it gets easier to make better food and exercise choices. Have a doctor check your thyroid, too - mine was underactive and this is not uncommon as we age. My mental health is so much better now that I have gone from obese to a normal weight and I save a lot of money on food, too, as I eat mostly vegetables instead of processed foods.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I save a lot of money on food, too, as I eat mostly vegetables instead of processed foods.
    Same here. Except for a daily portion of sardines, I eat only plants, mostly vegetables and some beans. Some dietitians claim I am not getting carbs because I don't eat grains. I actually do. Most of my calories come from carbs. For reasons I have not (yet) been able to find out, many dietitians don't seem to know that vegetables contain mostly water and carbs. There are some exceptions to that rule, such as the late Vicky Newman, but as far as I can tell, she really was an exception on that subject.
    As for the underactive thyroid, I have that too. Contrary to popular claims, that does not make it impossible to lose weight. At most, it makes the loss a little slower, so one has to lower energy intake a bit more, but that is the limit of the problems were weight loss is concerned.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I think what would help me most in that situation is to simply pay close attention to how I felt after eating junky, non satiating food. If I've been eating nothing but healthy, nutritious foods for a while, and then have a greasy meal or a big snack of something empty, I feel it in my body. I feel more pain in my joints or my stomach is queasy or something else feels off. Another effect is hunger before I normally would feel it. Noticing these things can go pretty far in reducing temptation, especially if the question is "do I want to have some moderate pleasure for a few minutes, and feel like crap, or maybe have something better, and still feel good?" There are plenty of low calorie snacks that help you feel great.

Best of luck!
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year; now following the Mediterranean diet. As a short term substitute for night time cereal (500+ calories?) consider eating some healthy fats such as avocado, walnuts, almonds. I limit my snacks to half an ounce, which is about 100 calories. Satiated, and then sleep well.
  • brenn35
    brenn35 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i tell myself I am not eating at night and it usually works, if not I eat a piece of meat or cheese, or yogurt. Maybe you could try that if you are determined to eat, just not cereal.
  • rmwood57
    rmwood57 Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I honestly wasn't expecting anything, but was overwhelmed with your guys understanding and encouragement. These are my favorite things from each of you and I want to keep them in one spot to refer back to when those voices creep in.

1. "It's hard in the beginning but the outcome deserves it all"
    2. "Cereals are sugary, they have no satiating power whatsoever, they are virtually nutrient-free and, at most, they keep you busy until you finished the bowl." "I eat a piece of meat or cheese, or yogurt.""healthy fats such as avocado, walnuts, almonds" "If you want to stop eating cereal before bed try to reframe it. It is not a snack. Regardless of what one thinks of cereal and its nutritional value, it is marketed and meant to be eaten as a meal"
    3.Weight gain is likely secondary to poor coping skills for stress
    4. How many calories is that bowl of cereal? How many bowls to lose one pound? One pound is about 3500 calories. One pound may not be much, but compound that over weeks and months, and it could be a lot.
    5. " simply pay close attention to how I felt
    6. "What woke me up was getting diabetes, knowing that I had lost lots of relatives (most NOT overweight)"
    7. "Extreme, difficult things - restrictive eating rules and big calorie deficits, punitively intense and unpleasant exercise - those are optional. Fun ways of moving more (exercise or daily life stuff) and finding eating habits that are tasty, satisfying, practical and filling - but calorie appropriate - can work magic. Denial and self-punishment is not the right mental model."

Hi, you have already answered your own question. "Don't stress." You are under a lot of stress for whatever reasons, and so "You've been stressed all day," and THEN you eat the cereal, "even though I wasn't really hungry." You are eating the cereal as a learned habit to cope with stress levels. Weight gain is likely secondary to poor coping skills for stress, and the cereal has now become a habit. You made it a habit, so you can "unmake it." You need to deal with the stress and thoughts in your head.

What's on your worry list? Job? Family? Health? Finances? Other things? Rhetorical questions, but sit down in a quiet and undisturbed place for 10 minutes and take an inventory of everything that you can think of that is bothering you, AND for how long. You will probably find (based on your comments) that you have been under chronic stress, for at least 3 years.

There's an actual mental health rating given to stress levels based on what the situation is-death of a spouse, death of a family member, job loss, moving, new baby, marriage, addictions, on down the line--it's a long list. You can look it up yourself if you want, and you can even find self-assessments to see levels of depression or anxiety. The voices in your head are a dead give-away that the eating cereal at night is stress related. Some people drink alcohol and run into problems, others use drugs, others other substances, and some people eat, and so on. All of those things are used as coping mechanisms or evasion tactics for mental health issues, stress, and so on.

EVERYONE has problems, and EVERYONE has stress. There are no exceptions if you are human, but HOW we deal with those things are different, and what KIND of stress it is, and for how long, etc. Some people are better able to recognize their stressors, limits and triggers, etc. before things get out of hand, and some people need to work on those things, etc. It's always a spectrum or scale.

You can read more about these topics yourself. I won't do all of your homework for you, but again, you are having trouble with your weight because of stress, and then eating, which equals stress-eating, and then guilt, and then doubt, and so on.

Fix your stress levels! Your cortisol is probably high if in fact you are dealing with a lot pressure/stress, and so in the face of this, losing weight will become harder. You can't lose weight if the cortisol levels are high, because it overrides a lot of other things and the insulin levels will be affected also. Lower insulin levels equals weight loss. High insulin equals FAT storage!!

Once you have identified your list of stressors, your next step is to determine which of those you can eliminate right off to bat. Going crazy doing carpool for a bunch of kids? Stop it! Drive your own kids and reclaim some peace for yourself. Is your boss unreasonable and refuses to give you a raise that you honestly deserve? Then reevaluate your place/role at the job and see if quietly job hunting is where it's at. Are you bored at work and not feeling challenged enough? That's a huge stressor for a lot of people (me included!) If my brain is not challenged daily by work, people, intellectual pursuits or stimulating conversation, or something similar, then I get very cranky and I need to get away from the boredom.

How is your sleep? Not getting enough deep, quality and regular sleep is a HUGE stressor and WILL kill the ability to lose weight much faster than a good night's sleep. Again, Cortisol levels play a role in this. So, in order to fix some stress levels, you need to possibly fix your sleep hygiene. Ditch the phone and screens an hour or 2 before bed so you can get your mind prepared for sleep. If you have a lot of stuff in your head, get a journal and put it by your bed. Write down all the stuff still in your head at night before sleep if it is rattling around in there and needs out. "My kid crashed the car. The insurance is going through the roof!" "My wife needs new health insurance and our premiums are expensive." I don't know your situation, I am just making stuff up to illustrate points along the way.

KEEP YOUR BED FOR SLEEP! Ditch the TV watching in bed/eating in bed, and make your bedroom your sanctuary for rest and revival and not a home gym, home office, storage depot, where you keep all the extra clothes, books, toys, whatever. NO! Take out all the extra junk, and just leave clothes, the bed, and whatever other furniture you have, and maybe keep the baby crib or pet bed, etc. Otherwise, a bedroom is not an everything else room, and having no space is not a reason to junk up the room.

Okay, so you are working on your stress levels, and bringing them down, and your bedroom is clean, calm, comfortable, and uncluttered. You have a regular bedtime, and a regular routine for relaxing in the evening to prepare you for sleep. You can research more stuff yourself.

Once you are sleeping better, you will find your stress levels decreasing. How much water are you drinking each day? Add a bottle of water to your bedside table to drink upon awakening. Have a morning routine-journal, pray, meditate, exercise, stretch, whatever, and DO THIS BEFORE you start facing the stressors of the day.

Do all this stuff for 2 weeks consistently each day, and it will start to be a habit. NOW, start thinking about the voices in your head. They are negative. Flip the switch on them. Call them out. "I am NOT hungry, and I don't NEED this cereal right now. I am feeling xyz-angry, frustrated, bored, depressed, anxious, worried, whatever about Betty, work, the kids, whatever, and I acknowledge my feelings and I am CHOOSING NOT TO EAT THIS CEREAL. Instead I am going to drink a glass of water, brush my teeth, write in my journal, say a prayer, eat 5 carrot sticks, or whatever other positive substitute for the cereal you choose."

Put a post-it note on the fridge with, "WHY do I want cereal?" If you can truly identify hunger, and not just boredom, anger, or something else, then see if water does the trick. If not, and you are still hungry, can you make it until morning, or are you so hungry that falling asleep is going to be impossible? Figure that stuff out and come out with a plan to deal with it.

One thing at a time. You aren't losing weight because it is NOT YET YOUR MAIN GOAL. You aren't "there" yet, mentally. You have some work to do to clear out a few cobwebs and self-sabotaging things, or else face it, you wouldn't still be "trying" after 3 years with little to show for it. Start at the bottom to build a solid foundation MENTALLY, so that you can sharpen your willpower for later on. Your willpower is weak, and like anything, it needs to be trained and honed.

The military is great for rebuilding things (or so I have been told), but it is to subject individual wills to a collective will, so I am not advocating that, but advocating the rigorous pursuit of self-discipline in terms of reducing your stress, changing your thoughts (cognitive behaviour therapy might work for you), and finding ways to reduce your stress and get to a place where weight loss is more likely and more productive.

Once you get there, you will KNOW IT. Put in the effort and you will be rewarded. Slack off, and the doubts will keep coming and you won't be able to override them and the weight will keep on piling on. You are what you eat, and you are what you think, like all the rest of us. Good luck to you, and best wishes. Hopefully there's something in here of value for you, but if not, oh well. :-) Willpower and consistency are the mental keys to unlock it all. If you think you can, you are right, and if you think you can't, you are right again. Figure out what is reasonable, and logical and possible goals for you to obtain, and then go for it. But most of life is actually showing up and putting in the effort. (Winners NEVER give up--they might regroup, fall down, get hurt, or whatever, but they ALWAYS figure out a way to get what they want in the end--and they work their butts off to get it).

The cereal is something you are using to deal with something else. WHY cereal? Does it remind you of childhood and you were taken care of by Mom? Is it because it is sweet? Do you like the crunch of the cereal? Figure out what it is about that cereal, and you will be able to figure out a bunch of other things to substitute or solve also.

So go put on your detective hat and get to work. WRITE IT ALL DOWN, as hokey as it sounds, and you will not only get a lot of stuff out of your head, you may find that seeing it on paper is not as daunting, or it is daunting, but it is easier to make a plan to work with, and set goals, etc.

Here's to saying good-bye to Captain Crunch and hello to a new perspective ;-)

WOW! This actually made me cry a little. Thank you for diggin into whats behind that bowl of cereal. You're spot on with everything. Thank you!!
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I think you may have already gotten what you need, but I'll throw in one more thing...

If you truly enjoy eating cereal at night (and not just boredom eating and you grab cereal because it is easy), then I say eat the cereal at night. The caveat is that calories are calories and if you want to stick to your weight loss goals, then you will have to remove something else from your diet somewhere else. Maybe there is something you eat at other times in the day that you can substitute or skip with less heartache.

For me, success came when I started looking long-term. There was no way I was going to live the rest of my days without ever having tortilla chips or chocolate again. Can I eat as much as I want of those things? Of course not (because for me, that would mean I just keep eating.. haha). However, deciding that I can never have those foods because they are "junk" wasn't going to help me make healthy choices in the long run. Eventually, I'd fall back to eating the things I really like, would feel guilty about those foods, and toss myself down that awful guilt spiral and give up (and then gain weight. again.). So, I budget for the foods I like. Maybe I don't each chips and chocolate every day, but I certainly eat them every week and I stay on my calorie plan in the process.

Be kind to yourself. And be realistic. If you really like cereal, don't deny yourself that. Life is too short. Just figure out a way to make the cereal fit within your calorie goals.
  • lacylucy1935
    lacylucy1935 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just saw a recipe using a protein shake a two tablespoons of sf instant pudding mix. Use whatever flavor you like I used vanilla shake w/ chocolate pudding. it is amazing and you can add nuts/ chocolate chips to your liking, I choose not to because it is satisfying to me and I don't want to add more calories. This could replace your cereal for a start, huge protein boost!! Good luck!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    Options
    I just saw a recipe using a protein shake a two tablespoons of sf instant pudding mix. Use whatever flavor you like I used vanilla shake w/ chocolate pudding. it is amazing and you can add nuts/ chocolate chips to your liking, I choose not to because it is satisfying to me and I don't want to add more calories. This could replace your cereal for a start, huge protein boost!! Good luck!
    I no longer do things like this, but I most definitely have in the past. I have even put a recipe or two on Youtube some years ago. I no longer make those things because I find they are not worth the trouble, but if you like them, by all means, such ways of preparing can be really great.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!