Do you think antidepressants made you gain a lot of weight?

Options

Do you think antidepressants made you gain a lot of weight? 59 votes

Definitely Yes
38%
allisond8linsey0689pink_mintrebuzsDebJB30crpowell55joans1976Lala478910joowelzmomnottomnay0m3kickbox3makingnewstartsJayPaul05Eg14816Dogperson1MeganLuna13MaintainingMegansuestringer17AATrz 23 votes
I Think So
10%
miriams76retta87blkadrsetier1577ktleenieamandajchisholm 6 votes
Probably
10%
lbpowers0506stephakneeeeeTheElizaBotMellouk89QueenSanii6k6z7yb7nz 6 votes
Maybe No
11%
JLG1986BeachywatermelonPAPYRUS3GeeBee08505kathy2845lunarfelinesdanairayen 7 votes
Definitely No
28%
sheahugheskshama2001floppybackendAlyssa_Is_LosingItcsplattdragon_girl26Psychgrrlsmithker75The313ChelzFitLiveOnceBeHappysbellettiAnnPT77siberiantarragonreginakarlcatzPinboardGoosekybludevl 17 votes

Replies

• AATrz
    AATrz Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Definitely Yes
    I took Venlafaxine or Effexor for 7 years aprox, I was aprox 160 lbs and now 280!!. Started within the first month on the pills, and so on
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Definitely No
    Nope. I've been on Lexapro since July and I may have gained a couple of pounds (haven't actually weighed myself but just going by fit of clothing) but if I did, it was from eating more because I actually had to gain some weight back anyway.
  • Raely101
    Raely101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot of weight but was it the anti-depressants or was it the depression? In my case I think it was the latter.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options

From the Mayo Clinic:
    Can antidepressants cause weight gain?
    Answer From Daniel K. Hall-Flavin, M.D.
    Weight gain is a possible side effect of nearly all antidepressants. However, each person responds to antidepressants differently. Some people gain weight when taking a certain antidepressant, while others don't.

Generally speaking, some antidepressants seem more likely to cause weight gain than others. These include:

Certain tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline, imipramine (Tofranil)
    Certain monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), such as phenelzine (Nardil)
    Paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva), a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI)
    Mirtazapine (Remeron), which is an atypical antidepressant — medication that doesn't fit neatly into another antidepressant category
    While some people gain weight after starting an antidepressant, the antidepressant isn't always a direct cause. Many factors can contribute to weight gain during antidepressant therapy. For example:

Overeating or inactivity as a result of depression can cause weight gain.
    Some people lose weight as part of their depression. In turn, an improved appetite associated with improved mood may result in increased weight.
    Adults generally tend to gain weight as they age, regardless of the medications they take.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Definitely No
    I don't think the drugs themselves cause the weight gain. I think it's a whole, crazy spiral: A person finally decides to see Dr. about mental health issues (likely long over-due), which have caused great distress that may have led to them eating too much or not eating enough. Then they begin taking an AD and then their coping mechanisms may change. They become less anxious so can be more sedentary or less sedentary. Then their eating habit change again. And on and on and on. I think it's a complex system of moves.

I've been on Lexapro for a while now, and I weighed my highest (173 lbs) and my lowest (118 lbs) while taking it. I am in maintenance now, still taking Lexapro daily.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    If they cause you to be in a calorie surplus then yes they cause weight gain.
  • miriams76
    miriams76 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I Think So
    Yes, but only because they improve my mood/appetite
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Definitely No
    [My No vote is because there are antidepressants not associated with weight gain, such as Wellbutrin, which I took off and on for 20 years until it stopped working for me, and while I think it's fair to say something like "Some antidepressants can increase appetite" I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that "Antidepressants cause weight gain."]
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    From the Mayo Clinic:
    Weight gain is a possible side effect of nearly all antidepressants. However, each person responds to antidepressants differently. Some people gain weight when taking a certain antidepressant, while others don't.

Generally speaking, some antidepressants seem more likely to cause weight gain than others. These include:

Mirtazapine (Remeron), which is an atypical antidepressant — medication that doesn't fit neatly into another antidepressant category
    While some people gain weight after starting an antidepressant, the antidepressant isn't always a direct cause. Many factors can contribute to weight gain during antidepressant therapy. For example:

Some people lose weight as part of their depression. In turn, an improved appetite associated with improved mood may result in increased weight.
    Adults generally tend to gain weight as they age, regardless of the medications they take.

Ugh, I am sleeping SO well on Remeron, but my appetite is ridiculously high. I thought it's been like that since my surgery Nov 3, but perhaps it goes back to when I started the Remeron, which was earlier in the fall. I'm under a lot of stress and self-medicating with food, and don't know how much of my appetite is physical and how much is emotional.

Remeron + gabapentin + melatonin (and larger bladder capacity now that I no longer have uterine fibroids) is giving me the best sleep I've had in 20 years but I can't deal with overeating due to being hungry all the time. I'd been thinking it was emotional so it's good to have read this, and confirmed in a quick search for "remeron increased appetite."

Back to the doctor...
  • Sinisterbarbie1
    Sinisterbarbie1 Posts: 712 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Yes and no … you have received some good advice - I gained A LOT of weight on a combination of Effexor and Gabapentin taken for various chemo and post chemo problems so part of it had to do with other things, but some people have different/stronger reactions to some drugs than others. In my case I was not overweight (though near the top of healthy BMI) when all of this started but I ended up obese. I was also on beta blockers briefly bc I was having panic attacks/racing heart which could have been from the high blood pressure from the rapid weight gain and the multiple drugs after almost a full year of chemo. I ultimately came off all of the meds bc the danger to my health was worse from being obese. I eventually lost all the weight and more so I am now slimmer than when I started, all my statistics are healthy and I take no drugs. But I was not being treated for severe depression or another mental health concern where stopping the drugs was a problem, If you need to take the drugs for mental health reasons you should just discuss options with your dr, weight gain is a legitimate side effect that drs are concerned with and switch prescriptions for.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    Over the years, I have been on some medications that made me lethargic and not want to move much. They actually worsened the depression. When my depression is bad I over eat. When it is really bad, I don't eat. It took a while to find the right combination of medications (yep I take more than 1) that would reduce the anxiety without triggering depression or mania, but they finally got it right. With my mood stabilized losing weight isn't a problem, well not any bigger than anyone else's problems. I guess what I'm saying is that the wrong meds can cause your behavior to change in a non-optimal way. Be honest with your medical practitioners and don't settle for hum drum because it is possible to be in a good place.

Best of luck!
  • xrj22
    xrj22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Venlafaxine (effexor), and Sertraline each clearly made me gain about 15 lbs in the first 2 - 3 months, and then my weight stabilized. They pretty clearly increased by appetite and made it very hard to diet. I had no problems with Bupropion. It did not make me lose weight, but I found it much easier to stick with my plan when I was not depressed, so I wound up losing on it.
  • kshama2001
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Definitely No
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    [My No vote is because there are antidepressants not associated with weight gain, such as Wellbutrin, which I took off and on for 20 years until it stopped working for me, and while I think it's fair to say something like "Some antidepressants can increase appetite" I don't think it's fair to make a blanket statement that "Antidepressants cause weight gain."]
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Ugh, I am sleeping SO well on Remeron, but my appetite is ridiculously high. I thought it's been like that since my surgery Nov 3, but perhaps it goes back to when I started the Remeron, which was earlier in the fall. I'm under a lot of stress and self-medicating with food, and don't know how much of my appetite is physical and how much is emotional.

Remeron + gabapentin + melatonin (and larger bladder capacity now that I no longer have uterine fibroids) is giving me the best sleep I've had in 20 years but I can't deal with overeating due to being hungry all the time. I'd been thinking it was emotional so it's good to have read this, and confirmed in a quick search for "remeron increased appetite."

Back to the doctor...

I sent an email to my doctor and got back an "I'm sorry to hear...make an appointment." At first the scheduler said the earliest phone appointment was 2 months out. I told her this was unacceptable. Then she found one a month out. Then she said she'd sent a note to the doctor to try to squeeze me in.

Meanwhile, I've halved the Remeron, which is the dose I started on last fall. I've had an 18 month break from Wellbutrin/Bupropion and plan to ask on going back on that.

As for sleep, well, there's something legal in my state that works fairly well which I discontinued when I started the Remeron but have quite a stash.

ETA: the scheduler called back and gave me an appt today at 2. :smiley:

I'm a veteran with health insurance through the VA and I have found it imperative to be aggressively proactive with my healthcare, but I'm sure this can be valuable with regular insurance as well.

People, don't settle for an antidepressant with bad side effects - there are so many out there - the trial and error is worth it - work with your doctor.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Definitely Yes
    I have a difficult time with any medication because I feel like it is only covering up the real issue with my body and I would rather heal myself holistically, which is why I prefer to see a naturopath. However, when it came to being diagnosed with PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) I didn't feel like the efforts I was making were helping so I got on fluoxetine. I am fit and lift weights 4-5 days per week along with live an active lifestyle and I eat 80% whole foods. I have been roughly the same weight for the past 3 years and within a few months of taking fluoxetine, I noticed my weight creeping up and also this weird storage of fat on my hips. It has now shot up about 10 pounds and after reading SOOOO many other stories of people gaining weight after taking fluoxetine/prozac, I decided to stop taking it just a few weeks ago. Because there have been no other changes in my life, I am attributing this weight gain to the medicine. In addition to this, it has affected my libido greatly and I just don't feel like myself so I would rather learn how to navigate the mood swings and sadness that comes with my cycle each month.

So I can't say definitively but I can say that I know my body and know myself and believe the weight gain is associated with the medication. I do realize some people truly have a life or death need for medications and there is no judgment on my part. Just sharing my experience.

I am hopeful I truly can find the ability to navigate PMDD on my own!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Definitely No
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Back to the doctor...

I sent an email to my doctor and got back an "I'm sorry to hear...make an appointment." At first the scheduler said the earliest phone appointment was 2 months out. I told her this was unacceptable. Then she found one a month out. Then she said she'd sent a note to the doctor to try to squeeze me in.

Meanwhile, I've halved the Remeron, which is the dose I started on last fall. I've had an 18 month break from Wellbutrin/Bupropion and plan to ask on going back on that.

As for sleep, well, there's something legal in my state that works fairly well which I discontinued when I started the Remeron but have quite a stash.

I'm a veteran with health insurance through the VA and I have found it imperative to be aggressively proactive with my healthcare, but I'm sure this can be valuable with regular insurance as well.

People, don't settle for an antidepressant with bad side effects - there are so many out there - the trial and error is worth it - work with your doctor.

I've been taking a half dose of Remeron the past two nights and am not sleeping as well, but haven't tried adding in other stuff yet.

I'm going to be starting on Trintellix (vortioxetine) when it arrives in a few days. It's not in the VA formulary but my doctor got it approved because we have tried so many other antidepressants. Oh, and she said Remeron is their antidepressant MOST associated with increased appetite. FFS. >.< :angry:

• PinboardGoose
    PinboardGoose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Definitely No
    I found the opposite, being on anti-depressants made it easier for me to get my *kitten* together and be consistent enough to start losing weight for the first time in years.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Definitely No
    From the Mayo Clinic:

Back to the doctor...

I've been taking a half dose of Remeron the past two nights and am not sleeping as well, but haven't tried adding in other stuff yet.

I'm going to be starting on Trintellix (vortioxetine) when it arrives in a few days. It's not in the VA formulary but my doctor got it approved because we have tried so many other antidepressants. Oh, and she said Remeron is their antidepressant MOST associated with increased appetite. FFS. >.< :angry:

So I've been on half dose of Remeron for a week and my appetite has decreased from "ravenous" to "able to meet calorie budget if I earn 700 exercise calories and eat at maintenance" which is about 550 calories more than I want to be eating.

I started the Trintellix today and last night will be the last dose of Remeron. Definitely having to work harder at sleep hygiene in order to get a good night's sleep.

I'm still really angry at my psychiatrist. This is the second time she flubbed my meds. The first time I had side effects that landed me in the ER.
  • retta87
    retta87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I Think So
    I’m on a few meds for mental health. For many years I was on lexapro and maybe gained a few pounds. It wasn’t till I started taking a mood stabilizer that my weight went up. It could’ve been because I felt relaxed and not manic though. Years later I was put on Wellbutrin and lost weight because it made me so worked up. I’m proud to say today I don’t take an antidepressant and have been free from any suicidal thoughts for over two years. Working out is my antidepressant and it’s the best one I’ve ever had. I’ve been off of them for over a year now. I do take other meds like resperidone and adderall. I don’t gain weight but I don’t lose any either. Resperidone runs a high risk for diabetes and obesity. I’m at the low end for a healthy bmi. I still eat like trash at times lol! But I sleep at night so I’m grateful for it. If not I’d be up for days. Idk why my brain is the way it is. But it is so I work with what I got!

Also if you take an antidepressant and gain weight it could be because your not depressed as much. The ability to enjoy food again is a pleasure after not finding pleasure in anything around you.
  • FitGirlNai
    FitGirlNai Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Some drugs make people loose and some make people gain. It depends on which medication it is, the dose and the individual. Remeron and Zyprexa would be the worst in causing weight gain for some . Wellbutrin is used for weight loss in the drug Contrave.
  • DebJB30
    DebJB30 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Definitely Yes
    I took Zoloft for 3 years - not for depression, but for migraine prevention. Since my mid 30s, I’ve been putting on about 3lbs per year due to a sedentary lifestyle and a typical American diet. While on Zoloft, I put on 10lbs a year. Since being off Zoloft, I’ve gone back to the 3lbs a year, except for the times I focus on taking better care of myself. I’m certain that Zoloft was responsible for the extra weight I gained over those three years.