Weighing my options

Options
Looking at going to a gym. In my area I have 2 options… Planet fitness or the YMCA. Because of my budget I’m leaning toward Planet Fitness. Any opinions on Planet Fitness? Is it worth it?

Replies

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    i used to go to the Y in my area when i first got into working out, and i loved it. that being said, it was smaller than most major gyms. our local Y now doesn't have the equipment that works best for me and has very few free weights while one a few more miles away has more equipment. i guess what i'm saying here is whether you should go to the Y depends partly on the Y closest to you and whether they have what you need. i've found them pleasant to work out in, at least here in the los angeles area.

i have heard a lot of negatives about planet fitness, and while they have a lot of members, friends of mine were happy to move to someplace they felt was better. i went for a tour of a planet fitness and decided to pass, but my needs may be different than yours. if you want a laugh, check out videos of planet fitness issues on youtube.

why not get a tour of both gyms, compare things like parking availability, cleanliness and quirks. compare equipment that you'd actually use - i was a member of a gym with tons of stuff but almost none was what i was looking for. also try and do the tours at a time you're likely to work out so you can compare how crowded each one is.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    It depends on what you want to do at the gym. If you're primarily using it for cardio equipment and/or intend to do resistance training with mostly machines and/or dumbbells, PF is fine. If you want access to more free weights, including squat racks, bench and incline bench, deadlift platforms and bumper plates, etc you're likely better off with the YMCA depending on what your YMCA has. The Y that I worked out at many many years ago was fully equipped with everything but I'm not sure that is true across the YMCA board.

I was a member at a PF briefly in the winter of 2018 mostly to use their cardio equipment at lunch as the facility was only a couple miles from my office...it was fine but I found various things annoying and their "weight room" was very lacking for what I need to follow my programming, but it was just my "backup gym". I much prefer a fully equipped gym.
  • paints5555
    paints5555 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I've been a member of both PF and the Y at different times. If all you are going to do is use machines and/or weights, then PF will probably be fine. If you enjoy group classes and the structure they provide, the Y will be the better option although it will cost more. And of course, PF locations do not have pools so if that is something you would use, the Y is the obvious choice.

The individual locations of both can vary in terms of individual issues but that's where a personal visit can help with the decision.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    Your budget matters . . . but if the Y is affordable even though more money, then perhaps other things matter more.

What may matter more - which are issues of personal preference - is things like:

* what kinds of equipment, classes, and amenities each offers
    * hours they're open
    * cleanliness of the facility
    * general "culture" of the facility, i.e., are staff (and maybe even patrons) pleasant to be around
    * how convenient the location is for you (I don't have a cite, but I saw some survey-type research recently suggesting that convenience of location is a surprisingly large variable in how often people work out, and small differences of distance are meaningful).
    * how crowded it is (and how much competition therefore for equipment or space in classes)
    * pricing of added-cost options, if there are any relevant to you (classes, personal training, services like massage or whatever)
    * payment methods available
    * cancellation rules/methods if you decide to stop
    * ability to put membership on hold (no charge) if you're out of town for an extended period (if that may matter to you)
    * etc.

Since this may be a long term meaningful decision for you, make a list of things you'd like in a gym (or what activities you think you'd like to try/do at one). Then make a list for the things in my asterisk list that you care about above plus any others you think of. Some of it you can get from their web sites, but you'll want to visit each, and ask for a tour. (Call in advance in case you need to schedule, but prefer a time close to when you'd be most likely to go.) Compare lists side by side in context of the price difference, then decide.

If you totally have no idea, go with the cheap one, as long as it's not dramatically less convenient.

Just my opinions.
  • lauragirl84
    lauragirl84 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! I’m taking it into consideration.
  • QuietRunner
    QuietRunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello there. The wife and I were members of PF for several years before moving away into the middle of nowhere. We both had very enjoyable experiences. The biggest issue was there was only one PF in our town and it could get quite busy at certain times of the day, especially after work. That being said, there appeared to be enough equipment available to transition soon enough from one exercise to another w/o long waits.
    I can only speak for the PF gym we went to, but the staff was really good, and I never once saw anyone being looked down upon for their size or abilities. There was every body type there and I was amazed at how people, who didn't know one another, would encourage each other in their journey's.
    I have never been a member of the Y. The wife has and she liked PF better, even though the Y has more classes for folks to attend, if they desire. I do know the PF we attended had personal trainers available, but I assume that was extra or part of a higher membership fee.

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I used PF as a secondary gym for a year when I was traveling regularly to the Buffalo area. I always found the staff friendly and the cleanliness was A+. They had more than enough cardio equipment of all varieties and on lifting days I had no problem completing my routine. PF isn't big on free weights but there are plenty of cables, Smith machines, and DBs. For $10 a month and a 1 year contract I thought it was well worth it. It was easy to quit when my travels lessened. The only negative was they didn't open until 7am on weekends (remainder of the week is 24hr access). I have no experience with the Y.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,198 Member
    Options
    Hello there. The wife and I were members of PF for several years before moving away into the middle of nowhere. We both had very enjoyable experiences. The biggest issue was there was only one PF in our town and it could get quite busy at certain times of the day, especially after work. That being said, there appeared to be enough equipment available to transition soon enough from one exercise to another w/o long waits.
    I can only speak for the PF gym we went to, but the staff was really good, and I never once saw anyone being looked down upon for their size or abilities. There was every body type there and I was amazed at how people, who didn't know one another, would encourage each other in their journey's.
    I have never been a member of the Y. The wife has and she liked PF better, even though the Y has more classes for folks to attend, if they desire. I do know the PF we attended had personal trainers available, but I assume that was extra or part of a higher membership fee.

I'm not replying to your post to disagree with you at all . . . but to continue the line of conversation.

I know that PF has used marketing tactics suggesting that other gyms can be bullying or critical of people who are not gym bros/babes, but I think that's less common than they might like us to believe.

One of the things I've loved about my Y was the diversity of patrons, and how supportive everyone was. There were people of all ages, sizes, ethnicities, fitness levels, and speaking various languages in the locker rooms and such. The staff was friendly and helpful, and I found other gym-goers to be pretty nice, too, and encouraging to others. My Y had a sort of "scholarship program" for people who couldn't afford to join the Y, but desperately needed workout support for reasons of health or obesity. I knew some of the recipients, and saw them getting great support - not just the financial side, but practical and personal support, too.

I've also been to other commercial gyms around here for classes and that sort of thing, including when I was obese (plus older), and didn't perceive any kind of negative reception from instructors, staff, or other patrons. I admit, I didn't spend as much time in those as at my Y's various locations. I'm sure there are gyms that seriously aren't welcoming to less-fit or obese people, but I don't think that's as common as PF marketing implies.

I know we hear from people here who have anxiety about going to the gym, and I can understand that . . . but I think most gyms in most places are not abusive. It's fairly common for people to ignore others (because they're focused on their own workouts, not there to socialize), but I don't think bad behavior is super common.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,521 Member
    edited December 2022
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I know that PF has used marketing tactics suggesting that other gyms can be bullying or critical of people who are not gym bros/babes, but I think that's less common than they might like us to believe.
    Agreed. In fact, I've never seen that once in my life. Maybe there's a specific type of gym someone could find that's possibly like that, I'm thinking some hole in the wall with ancient equipment and a lot of free weights, and it's all young guys there. I don't know. Every gym I've ever been in, people have been focused on their own thing, and rather than look down on someone who's out of shape there, it's the opposite, they're pleased that people are taking up the hobby they enjoy. Probably the only time you'll be bothered is by someone offering to show you correct form so you a) don't injure yourself, b) get the most out of it.

Follow standard etiquette of course, like wiping down machines after use, not hogging them for ages if you are spending far more time resting than working, put away your weights, etc.

There's nothing to fear.
  • Leefitunlimited
    Leefitunlimited Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is usually a good gym option if you are on a budget. They have most of the weight machines that are needed to get a good full body workout. They also have a good recovery station that I would recommend using (the hydro massage and massage chairs).

The downside of going to planet fitness is that they do not offer the best personal training options. If you don’t have a clear plan on what you would like to accomplish with your workout, it’s going to be difficult to get the proper guidance in there. I would recommend searching for a private personal trainer to help assist you with a fitness plan so that you will have a clear idea of what you should be doing while you’re at the gym.

Hopefully this helps. The main thing is that you’re on the right path for wanting to have a gym membership. That is one of the first steps to having a successful fitness journey :)
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    I currently have both memberships and I like them for different reasons. The weights are better at the Y, but PF has more cardio equipment. I teach classes at the Y, and enjoy the social aspect of that, but when lifting I like to be left alone. I lift heavy for me, but not exactly "heavy" so PF has sufficient weights for me (they don't go as heavy as the Y does if you need that sort of thing). I really prefer lifting at the Y, not sure why.

In general:
    If I'm going before work I almost always go to PF. They have nicer showers and I can do a nice circuit workout with machines there in an hour with no waiting.

If I'm going after work it is usually for a spin class so it's the Y. I'll also stay and lift after spin. I can kill hours at the Y and not realize it, whereas I feel rushed at PF.

When I had young kids the Y was a game changer because they offered child care and swim lessons, soccer programs etc. that the kids could do while I worked out.

I agree with those who said tour and get a feel for the two. The one you feel comfortable being in is the one you will use. If you feel good in both spaces by all means go based on price.

Good luck!
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I use a PF bc it's ~1min from me, cheap and has everything I need. So what's the most important priority for you? Pick the cheapest one as long as it has the equipment/features you want/need.

As far as the marketing aspect of PF being 'judgement free'....whatever, gyms (where people powerlift specifically) are some of the most supportive places/people I've ever met. So I'm never worried about that. It's simple math - cheap, close/accessible so I know I'll go. If I had to drive more than 10 min to get to a gym - I'm sure I wouldn't.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i've never seen anyone bullied at a gym - not heavily overweight people, people who don't know how to use the machines, just not anyone. and i've belonged to a number of gyms in l.a.

a tour at hours you might work out seems like the best way to get a feel. most gyms also offer a free workout with the tour, which will let you see how well the equipment is maintained, too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness is the gym that everyone loves to hate but there's one close to my office and it's cheap (I have my barbell, plates & rack at home for the heavier lifting).

In their favour they tend to have a good variety of well maintained equipment and many of the locations are open 24 hours a day. On the downside they're poorly equipped to handle the needs of an aspiring powerlifter, they don't have cages (if you've ever squatted in a smith machine you'll understand why this is a problem) and they don't have bars & plates (lots of dumbbells & fixed weigh barbells).

Honestly for what the vast majority of people need in a gym they're fine. It is ironic that they claim to be a judgment free zone but openly mock "lunks".
  • kbmnurse3
    kbmnurse3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am also on a budget. I use YouTube for my fitness routines. Leslie Sansone and Grow With Jo are a few of my favorites. Bought some weights and an exercise mat. I work out at home at least 5 days weekly. No cost involved. I work out in the morning. As soon as I get up I put my workout clothes on. Grab a cup of coffee sit and read my horoscope (LOL)/news/weather. Then off I go!!!!!!!!! Also if you have Roku you can stream YouTube for free.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cross posting from another thread:

I belong to two gyms. The Y near my home is very convenient and not terribly crowded in the early morning. It has a good mix of free weights and power racks, machines, and cardio. I don't take advantage of the pool or classes. I also belong to an old school hole-in-the-wall gym which is a bare bones barbell gym. It gets the job done and the staff is awesome. I've been to PF only once. It was clean with a reasonable selection of resistance and cardio machines. I found it to be very crowded (the parking lot is full every time I drive by). I think it depends on your goals and budget. If you're focused on a full body workout a few times a week, I don't think you can go wrong with a PF membership. If, on the other hand, you are looking to explore a more intense lifting program, a gym with free weights might be a better option.