!Help with decision please: Which one should I note down Macros per day, per meal or per each meal ?

Options
Greetings to everybody.
In my fitness pal, each meal is recorded in the nutrition diaries, or estimates of macros are recorded.
Which one, in your opinion, is more significant, relevant, and useful?
Aside from that, could you tell me why this is the case for you?

!Help with decision please: Which one should I note down Macros per day, per meal or per each meal ? 14 votes

Daily Macros (Or daily avarages such as daily calories, fibers...)
50%
noodlesnoLietchipenguinmama87nsk1951cinaliciklerclairrobGarysGirl78 7 votes
Weekly Macros
0%
Macros per Meal (Such as macros of breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks)
21%
kshama2001peggy_polentaherblovinmom 3 votes
Macros per each food (Such as hotdog, pasta etc.)
7%
candacebird4340 1 vote
Something else (please explain :) )
21%
AnnPT77musicfan68westrich20940 3 votes

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I selected daily. Right now my major aim is weight loss, so calories matters most to me for that.

The only macro I ever really concern myself with is protein because I've realized it's tricky for me to hit it if I don't pay attention to it. I don't worry about percentages, just that I hit the number target I've set for myself. I feel satiated and am better able to keep to my calorie goal if I eat sufficient protein and fat.

When I eat really only seems to matter for whether I can stick to my calories or not. I don't shoot for a particular distribution of calories over the day, but over time it does shake out to three roughly equal meals plus a slightly smaller snack (I'm a breastfeeding mom; when my baby is weaned I'll probably drop one of those meals, likely breakfast, not for any reason other than personal preference.)
  • cinalicikler
    cinalicikler Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I selected daily. Right now my major aim is weight loss, so calories matters most to me for that.

The only macro I ever really concern myself with is protein because I've realized it's tricky for me to hit it if I don't pay attention to it. I don't worry about percentages, just that I hit the number target I've set for myself. I feel satiated and am better able to keep to my calorie goal if I eat sufficient protein and fat.

When I eat really only seems to matter for whether I can stick to my calories or not. I don't shoot for a particular distribution of calories over the day, but over time it does shake out to three roughly equal meals plus a slightly smaller snack (I'm a breastfeeding mom; when my baby is weaned I'll probably drop one of those meals, likely breakfast, not for any reason other than personal preference.)

Thank you for your kind answer and I wish for good health and happiness for your baby and you :smile: I also hope to lose weight. My only consideration is for example the midnight snacks. I do not know if I should record such meals or just concentrate on the general daily intake.
  • penguinmama87
    Options

Thank you for your kind answer and I wish for good health and happiness for your baby and you :smile: I also hope to lose weight. My only consideration is for example the midnight snacks. I do not know if I should record such meals or just concentrate on the general daily intake.

IMO, if you eat it, you should log it, if you want the most accurate picture. Even if you don't count it, your body will.

That's not to say it's bad for you to have those things. Weight loss and health seem to depend on doing mostly the right thing most of the time; 100% compliance or perfection is not required absent some very particular circumstances. If your snacks have calories, your understanding of just how big your deficit is will be off if you don't log them, and you need a deficit for weight loss.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    If you log your food, you get both, right (as long as you strive to select accurate entries from the somewhat iffy total food database here)?

If the chief goal is weight management, then calories are the most important things. But averaging them over a day or few, landing around the goal number, is just fine. MFP may reset at midnight, but our bodies don't.

Most of us want some good health and maybe exercise performance, not just an appropriate body weight, though. For that, overall good nutrition is important. Macros are relevant there, but so are micros, fiber, beneficial phytonutrients, types of fats (saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, omega-3/omega-6 balance), probiotic and prebiotic foods, and who knows what else. It's way too much to dial in all at once.

If the goal is weight management, dial in calories first. Then start improving macros and fiber, if your logging history suggests there are issues. Treat protein and fats as minimums, because parts of those are "essential nutrients" in the sense that our bodies can't manufacture them out of any other intake (as it can with carbs).

Personally, I find that if I make it a point to eat a boatload of varied, colorful veggies and fruits, micros, fiber, and more fall into place without much micromanagement, but YMMV.

The basic idea is that you don't have to perfect any of this all at once, unless diagnosed with some serious diet-relevant deficiency or health condition up front. Also, these things all can be averaged over a day or few, though some nutrients are retained better by the body for balancing-out purposes. Humans are adaptive omnivores. You can chip away at improvement in some priority order over a period of a few weeks, as long as your starting diet isn't full-bore nutso, and do fine. Relax!

In the long run, IMO, it's vital to find a personally-viable, generally pleasant way of eating that we individually find balances being filling, nutritious, tasty, practical, affordable, etc. Dialing in those eating patterns as habits that can run almost on autopilot in the long run will help you both in weight loss and in maintenance, plus health, exercise performance, body composition and all that jazz.

Best wishes!

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,615 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    My only consideration is for example the midnight snacks. I do not know if I should record such meals or just concentrate on the general daily intake.

Yes you should log food you eat. Over time, you will be able to fine-tune your daily calorie goal. If you eat things and don't log them, you won't be able to do this. You will think you are consuming few calories than you actually are, and you run the risk of resetting your goal to an unhealthy low level.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Considering calories are your proxy for weight loss, it's better to have more detailed caloric information for more accurate calculations for success so, log everything, everyday. Cheers
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I voted for Macros per Meal because with the right combo of protein and fiber (and fat, but I don't have to work at that; it happens naturally for me) I feel full for less calories. So, it's important to me that each meal and snack be on point.

Definitely log midnight snacks for the calories. And consider logging them for the macros as well. I can have a protein bar for a treat and be satisfied for less calories than a traditional treat like cookies or whatever lower protein content food.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    For me personally, the only extent to which I even really care about my macros is related to feeling satiated.

I really only make sure I have the proper amount of calories. Sure, I try to make sure I have fat/carbs/protein in my meal - but I do not care down to the gram/percentage of my daily calories really for those.

However, I eat two different types of breakfasts on weekends and the one with more protein/fat in it keeps me 'full' for like 2+ additional hours. If being less satiated with a meal would cause one to overeat later in the day (eat in a calorie surplus)....then the macro split matters more. For me, it doesn't lead to me eating more calories in the day, I just change the timing of my meals because I will get hungry earlier than typical.

Overall, the trend over time is what matters, but if you are a person who wants a certain macro split....doing it by meal will ensure the most accuracy.
  • cinalicikler
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

Your body will count the calories whether you write them down or not. For me, I need an accurate reporting of everything I ate in a day. That lets me know where I might need to make changes either in my diet or my behavior. Picking and choosing which calories “count” just leaves me wondering why I may not be losing weight as I expect to.

But this just takes too much efort, doesn't it? How do you even manage it? Do you record after each meal? I cannot even find the foods I eat in the my fitness pal.
  • cinalicikler
    Options
    For me personally, the only extent to which I even really care about my macros is related to feeling satiated.

I really only make sure I have the proper amount of calories. Sure, I try to make sure I have fat/carbs/protein in my meal - but I do not care down to the gram/percentage of my daily calories really for those.

However, I eat two different types of breakfasts on weekends and the one with more protein/fat in it keeps me 'full' for like 2+ additional hours. If being less satiated with a meal would cause one to overeat later in the day (eat in a calorie surplus)....then the macro split matters more. For me, it doesn't lead to me eating more calories in the day, I just change the timing of my meals because I will get hungry earlier than typical.

Overall, the trend over time is what matters, but if you are a person who wants a certain macro split....doing it by meal will ensure the most accuracy.

That is actually an interesting approach :open_mouth: I also value the overall trend more but still am a little bit confused regarding to what should I keep track for in the long term and why :sweat_smile: Do you have any reasoning for your emphasis on the macro split and calories? Do you also keep track of your water drinking trends?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

Your body will count the calories whether you write them down or not. For me, I need an accurate reporting of everything I ate in a day. That lets me know where I might need to make changes either in my diet or my behavior. Picking and choosing which calories “count” just leaves me wondering why I may not be losing weight as I expect to.

But this just takes too much efort, doesn't it? How do you even manage it? Do you record after each meal? I cannot even find the foods I eat in the my fitness pal.

IME, no. I logged meticulously - every bite, lick, taste, to the best of my ability - during most of a year of weight loss and for some months in maintenance. Since then, I still log most days (for almost 8 years now, in total).

This isn't the right method for everyone, but I'll say this about it:

There's a learning curve with logging. It feels time-consuming and even burdensome at first while learning the ropes, finding good entries for foods and getting them into recent/frequent foods (where they'll show up first on search), learning how to use the MFP meals and recipes functions to best advantage, figuring out the tips that make a food scale the quickest food-measuring method (as well as more accurate), and that sort of thing.

At first, I think it even feels even more time consuming than it actually is, because it takes up quite a bit of mindshare.

Long term, after getting a good handle on how best to use the tools within my preferences and routines, I'd say it takes me way less than 10 minutes most days to log the day. To me, that's a super small price to pay to stay at a healthy weight after around 30 years prior to that of overweight/obesity. I feel so much better every day than I used to!

That first month or so is more annoying, sure, but it's an investment in the long term success. IME, most really major useful things in life take some time to learn. To me, this one is absolutely worth it. Will it be worthwhile to you? I can't say: That's your call.
  • penguinmama87
    edited January 2023
    Options

There's definitely a little more work in the beginning, especially if you prepare foods at home and want to create recipes to accurately log. Once you have searched and entered foods, though, it's much faster to pull them up to add to your diary.

I usually prelog my food the night before and then make little adjustments at/after each meal to the quantities. I often eat the same thing for breakfast and snacks, and eat leftovers for lunch, so I can just select "copy meal" and most of the work is done. As a person who cooks most of my meals from scratch, it didn't take long for my most frequently used recipes to be saved on MFP.

On the occasion I do eat something new or different, I can usually find what I want pretty quickly. You do have the option to enter in a new food to the database if it doesn't already exist (or isn't accurate.) If you don't want that trouble you can even just use "quick add" to get the number of calories in as a placeholder.

ETA: It just occurred to me that there might be gaps in the database if you don't live in an English speaking country or eat an otherwise mostly Western diet. I have found (usually by searching for obscure produce :sweat_smile: ) entries in other languages before but I would imagine the bulk of the entries are US-centric. If that's the case for you, you might have a little more data entry to do than some of us to get the diary to work well for you.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,615 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

No, not that much effort really.

Some foods can be hard to find in the database. Some have way too many entries, so you have to find the right one. Once you do, it is easy to find next time. You can also save something to "My Foods" so that it always will be available there. Foods you have logged recently are super easy to find. I have several things I eat often enough they're always easy to find. Some seasonal things take a bit more effort if I haven't eaten them in months; I have to find them again. But no, it's maybe 90 seconds per meal.

When I cook, I have a pen and some scratch paper next to my food scale. As I assemble ingredients, I write down what they are. Then while it's cooking on the stove or baking in the oven, I enter them on MFP.

Paying attention to what we eat and how much we eat does take some effort. If I didn't take that effort and just ate what I wanted.... Well, I did that for years. That's why I needed to lose weight. The tools available here on MFP helped me do it. I had to hold myself accountable; nobody else can do that. I log everything - at least an estimate if I can't get a good measurement. It works.

I think I heard someone once say, "Nothing worth doing is easy." I don't know if it is completely true. I do know that the trick to losing weight is very simple; have a lower calorie intake than you expend. But it sure as tiny ocelots ain't easy.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options

It does take a lot of effort, particularly in the beginning. Especially since you have to verify everything by hand before you actually use the entry. Once you log something though, it stays in your My Foods so it's easier to add that food again. I find it's helpful to log my whole day first thing in the morning or even the night before -- even if it's just an estimate and I go back and edit the exact amounts later. I find it takes less time and it gives me a plan for my day so I don't just graze on whatever because I can't think of something I want to eat. I also very rarely eat anything that doesn't have a label on it, which makes it easier to check my entries since I have the container right there. That might not work for people who actually cook though :D . It does get easier though, I promise!
  • kshama2001
    Options

Posters above me answered this question well. I just want to make sure you know that once the food is logged, so are its calories and macros.
  • kshama2001
    Options

That is actually an interesting approach :open_mouth: I also value the overall trend more but still am a little bit confused regarding to what should I keep track for in the long term and why :sweat_smile: Do you have any reasoning for your emphasis on the macro split and calories? Do you also keep track of your water drinking trends?

Once you've logged your foods, the calories and macros are there, and you can just look back when you are curious. You could look after every meal and notice how filling or not it was, or check less frequently, for example, if you are struggling, look back and notice you didn't hit your protein goal regularly so make a point of eating more.
  • cinalicikler
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Once you've logged your foods, the calories and macros are there, and you can just look back when you are curious. You could look after every meal and notice how filling or not it was, or check less frequently, for example, if you are struggling, look back and notice you didn't hit your protein goal regularly so make a point of eating more.

This totally make sense! However I just cannot keep the habbit. Do you have any suggestion on keeping up this regularly?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

This totally make sense! However I just cannot keep the habbit. Do you have any suggestion on keeping up this regularly?

Your going to continue to get the same answer and for good reason. If your going to use calories as your proxy for weight loss then the more accurate you are, which translate into more time to gather that data, the better you are to then control your caloric intake, and success it based on accuracy. full stop. Cheers
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

Well .. if it's too hard to work on the habit of logging all y our food ... then simply focus on jotting down what you ate and how much of it in as simple a method as you can stick with ... perhaps in a small pen/pencil and paper notebook, or by snapping a photo of each meal/snack you ate so you have something to remember the meal by to log later. ... The point being this ...
    ... The true purpose, for me at least, in logging my food is to remember what I ate and how much of it. If I have to keep track of a specific macro or micro nutrient, then knowing how much of that was in the food is important, otherwise it's not so important as keeping a well balanced meal in mind ... and a well balanced meal comes from eating across the realm of food choices and not from just one corner of it.

In the end ... try different approaches and settle on one ... Let the rest fall where they may.