Anyone else eat rolled oats with yogurt etc cold?

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,395 Member
I once bought a pack of rolled oats for cookies. Found out I didn't like them, and then wondered what to do with them. So I mixed some oats with skyr and added some mixed fruits I had at that moment. Since then I have oats with skyr (40 and 88gr) with raisins and whatever fruit I have. The idea of cooking oats with milk just doesn't appeal to me at all, as does having a warm breakfast. My skyr with oats is very stiff, quite chewable, and has some nice sweetness due to the fruit and raisins. Anyone else eating unusual oats?

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have oats as a shake on mornings I commute. I just bought flavored packs of them to try and have really liked them. I mix the oats with some oat milk and leave it in the fridge overnight. Then they're ready to drink in the morning. Excellent for a commute!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,714 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's important to soak( over night oats, in yogurt over few hours) bur yes, I love overnight oats
  • yirara
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I've heard it's important to soak( over night oats, in yogurt over few hours) bur yes, I love overnight oats

I don't soak them. If I can't work in home office and have to go to the office then I'm always slightly grumpy because my oats are softer from preparing them at home and bringing them along. :D
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Still processing how one doesn't like oatmeal cookies. :D I recently made a half batch of oatmeal/walnut/raisin/apple sauce/yogurt cookies that didn't last 48 hours. Sooo worth trading for a proper meal!
    I frequently make overnight oats with milk and yogurt in the summer when the berries come in. I don't mind uncooked rolled oats in no-bake cookies, but generally cook them.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal cookies that I make myself. All the store bought ones are always way too sweet for my tastes. ... And yes, I do have a habit with my oatmeal porridge that my family and friends find very unusual ... I use water for most of my oatmeal dishes, and that 1 cup of water to 1/2 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats become the basis for many varied and flavorful bowls that I eat several times a week ... and never seem to replicate them. It depends on what else I put into that simmering pot but it usually includes another food group or three. Each time I make it I choose a different element for the protein, fat and fruit that's cooked in. There is one I do make on milk and this one turns in a sort of pudding.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The most unusual (and the most common) way I use oats is to make a low calorie cheese sauce for pasta or cauliflower cheese.

I don’t eat breakfast so that’s about the only time I’ll eat oats, although, once in a blue moon, I’ll make porridge for lunch because I’m craving it - made with oat or almond milk in a saucepan, the old fashioned way.

For the cheese sauce I grind a few spoonfuls of oats at a time into a flour. 8g of this oat flour will thicken around 250ml of oat or almond milk, simply cooked to what I guess is a thin, fine porridge. I add some nutritional yeast and 15g of a 30% lower fat mature cheddar, a shake of paprika and a dab of Dijon.

Works for me as a sub for standard high calorie béchamel style sauce in any number of things. 😊
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,239 Member
    Options
    I eat uncooked rolled oats and plain yogurt (full fat or low-fat but not non-fat) all the time.

For years it was my eat-at-work "breakfast" around 10:00 or 11:00. I don't go to the office anymore. I've been liberated from that. Best thing I've done for myself in a long time. It's still a favorite first meal of the day. I take a vitamin D supplement. It absorbs in the body best if taken with some protein and fat. Bingo! I have started just making a half serving rather than a full serving.

I use Nancy's yogurt. I like that the only ingredients are milk and organisms. I weigh 85 grams of yogurt into a small bowl, then add 25 grams of thick rolled oats and mix. I let it sit 20 minutes to two hours for the liquid to absorb into the oats, then I eat. It's also good if you chop up a half an apple in it. Or use fruit of your choice. In season I have berries in the yard. I used up all the ones I had in the freezer in this daily yogurt.

Some days I'll have something else, but I find that the combination of fats and fiber and protein from oats and yogurt keeps me sated very well until mid afternoon if I decide to wait that long for lunch, late lunch, or something that's a combination of lunch and supper. Kind of like the opposite of brunch I guess.

So you're not alone @yirara
  • yirara
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I eat uncooked rolled oats and plain yogurt (full fat or low-fat but not non-fat) all the time.

For years it was my eat-at-work "breakfast" around 10:00 or 11:00. I don't go to the office anymore. I've been liberated from that. Best thing I've done for myself in a long time. It's still a favorite first meal of the day. I take a vitamin D supplement. It absorbs in the body best if taken with some protein and fat. Bingo! I have started just making a half serving rather than a full serving.

I use Nancy's yogurt. I like that the only ingredients are milk and organisms. I weigh 85 grams of yogurt into a small bowl, then add 25 grams of thick rolled oats and mix. I let it sit 20 minutes to two hours for the liquid to absorb into the oats, then I eat. It's also good if you chop up a half an apple in it. Or use fruit of your choice. In season I have berries in the yard. I used up all the ones I had in the freezer in this daily yogurt.

Some days I'll have something else, but I find that the combination of fats and fiber and protein from oats and yogurt keeps me sated very well until mid afternoon if I decide to wait that long for lunch, late lunch, or something that's a combination of lunch and supper. Kind of like the opposite of brunch I guess.

So you're not alone @yirara

Woohoo! I knew there was someone else! I also prefer the thick oats. But I usually use skyr, which is fairy dry and doesn't soak into the oats too much. I really want something to chew on as I know liquid-y or soft things don't fill me up well. For me it's the mix of carbs, sugar and some protein that keeps me full enough to concentrate on my work.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    You can make homemade granola in about 10 minutes on the stovetop in a skillet. Recipes online. I love my homemade granola with coconut, cashews, walnuts, raisins, figs, some cinnamon, a splash of maple syrup (the real stuff) and a little walnut oil for the pan.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    You can make homemade granola in about 10 minutes on the stovetop in a skillet. Recipes online. I love my homemade granola with coconut, cashews, walnuts, raisins, figs, some cinnamon, a splash of maple syrup (the real stuff) and a little walnut oil for the pan.

Along those lines, but really a dessert, is Mark Bittman's Skillet Pear Crisp:

https://time.com/3484279/mark-bittmans-skillet-pear-crisp/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Here's another thread about oats, mostly rolled and hot:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10881788/quaker-oatmeal
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Along those lines, but really a dessert, is Mark Bittman's Skillet Pear Crisp:

https://time.com/3484279/mark-bittmans-skillet-pear-crisp/

Pretty much exactly what I do - only I use different fruit(s) and also put layers in the bowl of 100g Greek yogurt mixed with 4g vanilla Jello powder and 6g protein powder, then the warm fruit, topped with the granola. So yum for breakfast or a snack.
  • yirara
    Options
    Hey, some nice suggestions coming up here! Thanks a lot guys.
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle a few tablespoons of Rogers Porridge Oats & Ancient Grains Blend on my lunch salads. Raw. Tried it after buying a pouch for a recipe my son hated (so I'm not planning to make again anytime soon) and having a lot leftover. Discovered that those 3 tablespoons made a huge difference in my energy level later in the day - I no longer start to drag mid-afternoon. I already knew that carbs have a big effect on my energy level, but I never expected much of a difference when I was adding them to a salad since it's already mostly carbs 🤷‍♀️
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I like sort-of-Bircher muesli. For two portions, 50g oats, 25g seeds of choice (I use pumpkin and sunflower), 25g nuts of choice (I use almonds, hazelnuts and sometime Brazil nuts), one finely chopped apple and about 150g yoghurt. I sometimes add a bit of milk if it’s too claggy? And I have added protein powder in the past. You’re supposed to soak it overnight but I don’t like it soggy, so I mix it with the yoghurt just as I’m about to eat it. Keeps me full for ages and v tasty 😀

ETA: I like the nuts and seeds only roughly chopped, husband likes them pulverised in a blender
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I like them raw too...however I don't digest them easily this way. They 'remain' in my system a little too long..😶