OLD and ready for change!

Options
Here I am again. At 62….5’1” and pushing 200. I still play competitive tennis, wrangle puppies and dogs at work and 40lbs overweight - 50lbs if you go by the charts. (can’t stand those charts) I started counting Macros this time - it’s like a puzzle and working. I’m married. Two kids. Two grandkids and a rescue dog. Tired of joints hurting - really want to feel what it feels like again…lighter healthier!

Replies

• Betty
    Betty Posts: 8,832 MFP Staff
    Options
    Welcome back! Best of luck on this new journey.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm old too - in both age and MFP use - at 67 and nearly 8 years respectively. Now hanging around maintaining a weight loss from that first year. Looks like you and I first joined only a few months apart.

I found your thread title refreshing: I'm really tired of people saying "you're not old". In my view, I am, and as a cancer survivor and cancer widow, I think that's a really good thing (considering the only actual available alternative). It sounds like you're helping bolster the definition of "old" as being active and engaged, with goals in your sights that will be accomplished. Great stuff!

Glad to hear you're finding a course that's working for you: That's just great.

Just here to say "hi", and "welcome back" . . . and to say that getting to a healthy weight made a huge difference in my joint discomfort/pain, and I started seeing those improvements along the way, not just at the end. I used to have discomfort most of the time, and what I'd call actual pain maybe a couple of weeks a month in total, spread across the month. Nowadays, at a lighter weight and stronger, discomfort is reasonably infrequent, and actual pain quite rare. Huge quality of life improvement!

Going back to the "old" thing: I do feel younger now, in terms of quality of life, than I did even in my 40s - but it sounds like you're already more active than I was back then, so doubtless in better shape.

Wishing you great success!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,344 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

In addition to counting macros, you need to assure you are in a caloric deficit to lose weight. What loss rate have you set for yourself using the guided set-up? I trust it's a safe one that will work over time. It does take time. Don't give up.
  • Skybleupink
    Skybleupink Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm also 5'1" and have about 40 lbs. to lose. I'm one week in and feeling better, already the bloating has gone down! My joint pain is constant and I'm motivated to lose the extra weight that is contributing to my pain. I was referred to an orthopedic surgeon last week for a new hip. I've decided to take this route first. I look forward to cheering you on!!
  • tdodge123
    tdodge123 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Welcome!

In addition to counting macros, you need to assure you are in a caloric deficit to lose weight. What loss rate have you set for yourself using the guided set-up? I trust it's a safe one that will work over time. It does take time. Don't give up.

I’m not sure I’m replying right? Thank you for the advice seems I am always in caloric deficit - have a few carbs left, no fat, no protein. I feel really good and really ready.
    Welcome!

Welcome!

• tdodge123
    Options
    Geez, looking forward to the learn this app webinar. Lol
  • tdodge123
    Options
    Thank you you @AnnPT77 for the inspiration. Totally agree about people saying you’re not OLD. You are as old as you feel…somedays with 40 extra pounds I feel old. But that beats the alternative 😊 Have a great week. I actually am OLD Lady Dodge online. 😉
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    tdodge123 wrote: »
    Welcome!

I’m not sure I’m replying right? Thank you for the advice seems I am always in caloric deficit - have a few carbs left, no fat, no protein. I feel really good and really ready.

If you told MFP you want to lose weight (X pounds/kilograms per week), and you eat all of your full MFP calorie goal, you're already in a calorie deficit . . . maybe a big one, if you picked one of the faster loss rates. You don't necessarily want to eat below your calorie goal (for sustainability and health reasons), and it's not necessary to do so in order to be in a deficit (unless you set your goal at maintenance calories).

P.S. You're replying right.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to Round 2! I'm right there with you in age and rescues! I've found that if I really target macros its much more easier to shed a pound or two but it sure does take a long time to get it done! I also target a higher fiber base (shooting for 21gm a day). Do you like to ride a bike and/or walk? I do both. Toss in lap swimming in the summer.
  • OhioDido
    OhioDido Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    😊 you’re not old.
  • HumanoidTowers
    HumanoidTowers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The Willie Nelson song comes to mind ;) "on the road again...". Welcome back and if it helps to know, here I am again too. You're never too old to change and I'm beginning to realise that community makes all the difference. Wishing you all the strength to crack on and reach your goals!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    OhioDido wrote: »
    😊 you’re not old.

This almost seems to imply that there's something bad about being old, so people wouldn't want to be old?

Um what the actual heck?!? Old is pretty great, if you ask me. I know myself better, I'm more confident, I have more skills, I've learned quite a few useful things over the decades . . . it's good stuff.

I'm old. Old is good.

"Old" is not a synonym for weak, cognitively compromised, sick, incapable, disabled, or anything of the sort. Sure, some of those things can be higher risk with increasing age, but they aren't synonyms for "old". And those things aren't character faults either, anyway. Everybody's got a few challenges in their lives, seems like.

Yeah, maybe I'm not as cute to 20-somethings as I was when I was a 20-something myself, but I can't see why I'd care. I like myself fine, and that's plenty good enough. Twenty-somethings are more likely to be kind of callow, anyway. ;)