Eating Healthy is too expensive!!!!

Options

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Ummm no, I strongly disagree. I spend $100-150 a month for 2 people, that is dirt cheap!

The cost in the long run for your health, future medical bills, unhappiness and consequently psychological distress will save you hundreds of thousands in your lifetime.
  • h82bfat
    Options
    Many people have posted some great quick and inexpensive food options. But I wanted to highlight what Leola2011 said:
    And here's something that a lot of parents don't want to hear. Sometimes we do ourselves undue damage by being overscheduled. We want the kids in all sorts of extracurricular activities because we think it'll make them more well-rounded and enriched. But being overscheduled is not good for the family unit and sometimes it's better to say 'no' to some things if it means being able to say 'yes' to family face time and better emotional/physical health.

Extra curricular activities can be great for kids, but if we, as parents, are running, shuttling, or working every waking minute than the benefits they might gain will be more than offset but not knowing us as well. In our house we have a "One activity" rule. Twice a year we make them decide the extra activity they want to participate in. I know they are missing what could be great, this time dance and language lessons got cut. But in exchange they are getting something much better...time with their Mom and Dad.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Crock Pots make life and cooking easier.
  • tresmom08
    Options
    Ummm no, I strongly disagree. I spend $100-150 a month for 2 people, that is dirt cheap!

The cost in the long run for your health, future medical bills, unhappiness and consequently psychological distress will save you hundreds of thousands in your lifetime.

Ok what are you buying and eating for $25+ a week. I'm clearly shopping at the wrong spot.
  • campsallmel
    Options
    Well said.. I used to complain about the same thing.. but then I just realized it was an excuse I made because I just wanted an escape goat to not eating healthy! Buy your kids the cheap stuff for breakfast and lunch and then for supper they can eat the good stuff with you.

Quit whining. Instead, figure out a solution. What are you buying that is so expensive? I eat all organic, whole foods, nothing processed, and I spend between $85-$125 a month to feed two people and a cat that gets all homemade food. Buy local, it's cheaper. Don't buy "health" diet-foods...they really aren't that great for you and they're expensive. Stick to local fruits and vegetables...even frozen veggies, bulk grains and beans and lean meats...find one day a week to give yourself time to prep meals. It's possible, you just have to spend some time reconfiguring. We're all busy people with a lot going on in our lives...the less time we spend complaining about it will give you more time to do something about it instead.
  • tresmom08
    Options

I have a crock pot....just have to use it...I need meal ideas.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

I haven't used my crock pot since I went veg. Used to use it for roasts, etc. I need to look up some veg crockpot recipes! I think I saw a book somewhere....
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options

I have a crock pot....just have to use it...I need meal ideas.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Or, I have the best cookbook in the world... http://www.amazon.com/Crockpot-Collection-Editors-Publications-International/dp/1412729718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316725226&sr=8-1 desserts, vegi dishes, appetizers, breads, all different kinds of meats. I love the crock pot and have been in heaven since getting that book! (
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Quit whining. Instead, figure out a solution. What are you buying that is so expensive? I eat all organic, whole foods, nothing processed, and I spend between $85-$125 a month to feed two people and a cat that gets all homemade food. Buy local, it's cheaper. Don't buy "health" diet-foods...they really aren't that great for you and they're expensive. Stick to local fruits and vegetables...even frozen veggies, bulk grains and beans and lean meats...find one day a week to give yourself time to prep meals. It's possible, you just have to spend some time reconfiguring. We're all busy people with a lot going on in our lives...the less time we spend complaining about it will give you more time to do something about it instead.

OMG, how do you do that?! My boyfriend and I spend $150 a week for the two of us. And that's being thrifty, using coupons, choosing generic, etc. I'm so jealous of your mad saving skills.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options

OMG, how do you do that?! My boyfriend and I spend $150 a week for the two of us. And that's being thrifty, using coupons, choosing generic, etc. I'm so jealous of your mad saving skills.

Seriously. . I would love the answer to this as well. . will be watching.
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Okay yeah you're right but try a little sweetness with that (I know we're all trying to avoid sugar but this is a bit harsh....although accurate.

No, it's actually not more expensive to eat healthy ..... I mean it is if you buy all pre processed health food but if you stick to fresh fruits/veggies and grains it's actually quite affordable.....

Find a local couponing website and learn how to get your toiletries / meds / cleaning productcs free or close to it at cvs/walgreens. Grow that stockpile then find the cheap local farm markets....as some are so expensive and others' are just cheap. See if there's a bountiful baskets in your area or something like it.

Try advanced meal planning or once a week cooking - see if you can share 2 meals a nite w/ a nother family (they cook once and you cook once)

There are solutions if you look for them
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Seriously. . I would love the answer to this as well. . will be watching.

Not that I like the harsh tone of veg's post....but you can do this this cheap as she says if you learn to coupon and where to shop....I have a family of 3 (One of which is a teanager with a bottomless stomach)....I also have 3 people living with us for a while as they need a place to stay.....(1 mom, 2 young kids)....and they eat lots of fruit/milk/cereal.....we spend about $225/month and have a pretty large stockpile. We go out to eat about 2X a week.

I found one grocery store that has low traffic and has lots of the organics marked down....like my yves fake turkey meat and the nasoya wraps....alexia frie's etc. I've gotten those and amy's frozen veg meals 75% off after finding that store. I drive 2X a month 35 minutes away to a farm market that is literally 75% off of my grocery store prices (you need to look around, ask around and look on the internet to find these places). I coupon...I've gotten luna bars for .08, lara bars for .25, free boulder chips, 1.00 terra chips, almost free miur glenn, pretty cheap pacific soups, lunderburg rice for like .50 a package, .50 mom's best natural cereals, close to free honest tea, close to free metro mint, kettle tias chips for .50-1.00 a bag, vans waffles for 1.00 a box, morningstar packages for 1-1.50/box.

I get my organic chicken through zaycon foods events - there is one coming up.... 1.49/lb for boneless skinless chicken breast (must by 40 lbs...share with one or two other families!) They do bacon and other types of evens too but mainly we just get the chicken (I"m a veg but my family isn't)

There are many ways to skin this baby...look up coupon forums for your LOCAL area to get ideas and wherever you are learn CVS/Walgreens/Rite Aid - paying for toiletries at this point is rediculous!
  • susanofscottsdale
    Options
    It seems expensive and hard - particularly when you are making a change. There have been several good suggestions made, such as frozen veggies and buying in bulk if possible. I would also suggest that you find a few good recipes that are healthy, high value and can be made in advance. This takes planning, but soups can be a wonderful option made on the weekend and will cover you for multiple meals. And for fast/easy - roasted chickens are usually a very good value at most groceries.

Take some time to reseach and plan ahead, and you will be able to do healthy at the same or lower cost (particularly if you are using anything that is commercially prepared).

Good luck.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I don't find it expensive. Go to the farmer's market, they always have deals, especially if you buy in bulk. I started canning this year, so I am canning organic tomatoes, applesauce, and salsa. I will use the tomatoes to make sauces and soups. Also bought a lot of green beans, cleaned them, blanched them and froze them. I have 2 lbs of green beans so far and plan on getting more to keep in the freezer.
    Also if you have a store that has a bulk section, buy beans, soak and cook them. You can soak them overnight and even cook them in the crockpot if you work all day. They freeze well, too.
    I make freezer meals like burritos. I make a bunch at one time and then freeze them.
    I don't have a lot of freezer space either.
    I spend 80-100 a week usually on a family of 4 plus 2 cats and a dog.
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    I hate that eating healthy makes my grocery bill higher than buying the cheap unhealthy stuff. My kids love quick meals and it seems that thats all I have time for these days. Between girl scouts, school meetings, church, work, and homework I have no time to do anything. Let alone house chores that are a must....and trying take care of my "wifely duties"....Ughhhhh!!!! I'm so discouraged..don't mind me.

Understandable! As mentioned here I would hit up farmers markets as they're reasonable. But the point is it's CHEAPER to hit up a $1 menu at McD but not to eat a healthy dinner. Yet your body will thank you if you treat it right.
  • rachel1496
    Options
    I would love to know where people are finding farmer's markets that are cheaper than a grocery store. We have 3 in the city and they are all priced anywhere from 30-45% more than the grocery store. We still go when they're open (June-September) but I don't go in expecting to spend less than I normally would.

I get what you're saying and it's not even a matter of processed vs non processed food. White bread is cheaper than brown, same goes for pasta and rice, leaner cuts of meat are more expensive than fattier cuts and chicken is more expensive than pork, the good yogurt is more than the sugary crap..... Here's what I've found that works to keep the bills lower:

1) Figure out where the majority of your money is going, for us that was produce, dairy and meat, and look for ways to cut that down.

I feed 6 people for at least 2 meals a day, giving everyone a skinless boneless chicken breast of thier own is not in the budget but buying a pack of 2, slicing them and combining them with a bag of frozen stir fry veggies and a bag of whole grain rice is. I cut the amount of meat in my chili by half and used kidney beans to make up the difference, this way I can afford to buy the leanest ground beef available. Make meat an ingredient, not the star of the meal.

I will splurge on fresh local produce during our very short growing season but the rest of the year it's all frozen. I can't afford the tasteless imported "fresh" produce available to me in January. Get creative with frozen veggies and fruits.

2) Beans and lentils are your friends.

3) Crockpot365.com

4) Waste nothing. I keep 2 ziplock bags in my freezer, one for random veggie scraps and one for leftover pieces of bread. When the bread bag is full I lie everything out on a baking sheet, cook it on low until it's toasted through and run it through the food processor to make whole wheat bread crumbs. When the veggie bag is full I put it all in a pot and add some water. Simmer until everything is soft and then use the immersion blender to puree it all. Add a can of pasta sauce and you have a huge batch of sauce that's healthier and has more veggies than regular store bought sauce

Hope that helps a little.
  • lauehorn
    Options
    Frozen veggies... go no meat for a few meals a week (there are some amazing and nutritious meat free meals out there!)... make your own homemade pizzas (you can make dough ahead of time and freeze, plus it's healthy topped with veggies and kids love to help out)... find a local CSA... get a crockpot, which is great for breakfast (overnight steel cut oats) or lunch and dinner (soups, stews, enchiladas, etc)...

OH and eat in season and/or local! Makes fresh fruits and veggies much cheaper.
  • nanababy9
    Options
    Quesadillas are a wonderful, quick, and healthy dinner!! Or a good old Grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup is great as well! Pasta is usually easy too and not terrible if you use red sauce and put some veggies in there with it. Don't get discouraged. Eating healthy may be a little more on your grocery bill now, but it will save you money on medical bills in the long run!!!!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    this woman feeds a family of 4 of 5 dollars a dinner all together, not each.....i highly suggest everyone look at these recipes

http://www.5dollardinners.com/
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I agree, but think of the future :) Theres ways to eat healthy without breaking the bank...Believe me, we're very tight on money....:) Let me know if you need any pointers or help, keep your chin up you're doing awesome!