Cholesterol

Options
Has anyone successfully reduced their cholesterol through diet and exercise? I'm currently at 6 and I'm hoping to improve it within 8 weeks

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    Has anyone successfully reduced their cholesterol through diet and exercise? I'm currently at 6 and I'm hoping to improve it within 8 weeks

You're at 6 what? Yes, I have reduced my cholesterol and one of my good friends reduced her cholesterol. I have familial high cholesterol. My friend and I both lowered our cholesterol by cutting out meat. She went whole food plant based, I cut out red meat. All the saturated fat deniers hate that answer though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,957 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Yes it will. However the jury is still out whether low overall cholesterol is better.

Total cholesterol and all-cause mortality by sex and age: a prospective cohort study among 12.8 million adults

https://nature.com/articles/s41598-018-38461-y?language=de

The basic jist of this graph shows a hazard ratio/risk against total cholesterol levels.

The base is at 1.0 and if you look at the people with the highest cholesterol levels on the x axis it's showing a risk/hazard ratio on the y axis to be 30%

If you look at the people on the same x axis with the least amount of total cholesterol it's showing a risk/hazard ratio on the y axis of 230% increasing risk of mortality 8 fold.

There's a little confusion going on and it appears from the research that what is more important, is particle size and total particle numbers within the actual LDL lipoprotein. A lipoprotein is not actually cholesterol, it's a container that carries cholesterol along with other molecules to then be distributed to cells, which are manufactured in the liver and not from dietary sources simple because cholesterol is not water soluble.

k99523mlp0qz.png
  • sollyn23l2
    Options
    Yes it will. However the jury is still out whether low overall cholesterol is better.

Total cholesterol and all-cause mortality by sex and age: a prospective cohort study among 12.8 million adults

The basic jist of this graph shows a hazard ratio/risk against total cholesterol levels.

The base is at 1.0 and if you look at the people with the highest cholesterol levels on the x axis it's showing a risk/hazard ratio to be 30%

If you look at the people on the same x axis with the least amount of total cholesterol it's showing a risk/hazard ratio of 230% increasing risk of mortality 8 fold.

There's a little confusion going on and it appears from the research that what is more important, is particle size and total particle numbers within the actual LDL lipoprotein.

k99523mlp0qz.png

I agree, total cholesterol is not the issue, LDL cholesterol is. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. High LDL cholesterol levels do matter. Alot. I'm at a much higher risk of death from cardiovascular disease because my body cannot adequately get rid of LDL cholesterol, so I keep it down myself.

"Second, other lipid measures, such as low-density lipoprotein and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, were unavailable. Recent dyslipidemia management guidelines are more closely focused on these sub-fractions of cholesterol, so the direct application of our findings to individual patient care might be somewhat limited. " (from the study).
  • neanderthin
    edited January 2023
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

The base is at 1.0 and if you look at the people with the highest cholesterol levels on the x axis it's showing a risk/hazard ratio to be 30%

If you look at the people on the same x axis with the least amount of total cholesterol it's showing a risk/hazard ratio of 230% increasing risk of mortality 8 fold.

There's a little confusion going on and it appears from the research that what is more important, is particle size and total particle numbers within the actual LDL lipoprotein.

k99523mlp0qz.png

I agree, total cholesterol is not the issue, LDL cholesterol is. But let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. High LDL cholesterol levels do matter. Alot. I'm at a much higher risk of death from cardiovascular disease because my body cannot adequately get rid of LDL cholesterol, so I keep it down myself.

"Second, other lipid measures, such as low-density lipoprotein and high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels, were unavailable. Recent dyslipidemia management guidelines are more closely focused on these sub-fractions of cholesterol, so the direct application of our findings to individual patient care might be somewhat limited. " (from the study).

Yes I agree that the sub fractions are not only important they are paramount. This graph shows that low total cholesterol is more atherogenic and I suspect will be hard for most people to get their heads around that. Studies also show the lower a persons total cholesterol levels are, the lower their HDL will also be, and generally speaking triglycerides will be elevated and CRP C-reactive protein a marker for chronic inflammation will also be elevated. And in that context is not surprising the lower total cholesterol a person has, the higher the risk gets. Particle size and total particle numbers within an LDL cholesterol will factor into the atherogenic risk to a very high degree.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    6 is in mmol/l. A range of 5.18-6.16 is considered high which is 200=239 mg/dl.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,387 Member
    Options
    To the direct question in the OP: Yes.

My formerly high cholesterol became solidly normal through weight loss. AFAIK, I don't have familial hypercholesterolemia.

I didn't much change the range of foods I ate - already had quite a few healthy foods in the mix. I changed portion sizes, proportions on the plate, and frequencies of some calorie dense foods. For me, the key was reaching an appropriate, sustainable calorie level.

I didn't much change my activity level. I was already reasonably fit when obese, training most days at reasonable intensity . . . but had high cholesterol, high triglycerides and high blood pressure despite that.

Back then, I had high LDL, borderline to low HDL.

My total cholesterol became solidly normal part way through losing 50-some pounds, with improvements in both LDL and HDL and has stayed that way for around 7 years at a healthy weight since, after having been high for at least a decade and a half before that, probably longer.

Nowadays, my LDL is low, HDL high. My doctor seems to think that's a good thing.

Wishing you improvements via your efforts!

• peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options

You're at 6 what? Yes, I have reduced my cholesterol and one of my good friends reduced her cholesterol. I have familial high cholesterol. My friend and I both lowered our cholesterol by cutting out meat. She went whole food plant based, I cut out red meat. All the saturated fat deniers hate that answer though.

i have reduced my cholesterol by reducing carb intake to <50 per day and eating fat and protein. but all the all calories arent equal deniers hate that answer.
  • sollyn23l2
    Options

i have reduced my cholesterol by reducing carb intake to <50 per day and eating fat and protein. but all the all calories arent equal deniers hate that answer.

🤣😂 It's true, there's multiple ways to do it. Basically anything that makes you lose weight will show an initial improvement in cholesterol. Long term studies, however, show that a keto diet will raise LDL cholesterol over the long term. Most people don't stick to it that long, however.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I know you're just echoing the phrasing from the PP, but actually all calories are equal, just like all miles are the same length. For sure, though, calories aren't all that matters about food choices, when it comes to health!

The nutrition that comes along with those calories, from different food choices, does make a difference when it comes to health issues like cholesterol levels, absolutely. Saturated fat intake is a somewhat hot debate in that respect lately, seems like, and others know more about that than I. Carb intake IMU can be relevant to blood cholesterol levels (and triglyceride levels), so carb reduction may be helpful.

I'm not going to argue the merits of low carb or very low carb, which is a great thing for some people. It's certainly compatible with cholesterol reduction, and could be important depending on starting point.

Experientially, without AFAIK familial hypercholesterolemia in the picture, my cholesterol dropped with weight loss even while I was eating 150g+ carbs most days (and stays fine while eating 225g+ carbs daily in maintenance), but those carbs tended to be sourced mostly from veggies, fruits, low/no fat dairy, and other whole or lightly processed foods. This makes me suspect that low carb isn't universally necessary in order to lower blood cholesterol, but I can't speak to different circumstances where it's more and less important: Just don't know. As an aside, I don't get a lot of sat fat, just something near the MFP default goal (which I'd consider moderate), but that's kind of a coincidence, so I don't know what the effect would be if I did eat more (or less).

When folks find that fully plant based eating (sometimes imprecisely known as veganism) has helped them get to a good cholesterol level (sometimes even with familial hypercholesterolemia), my suspicion would be that most of them are probably getting moderate to higher carbs. Low carb fully plant based is a thing, but it's fairly difficult, so not what I'd assume when someone says vegan or fully plant based unless they also say low carb.

My point is really that OP may have multiple options to try, some of them more likely to pay off in certain scenarios than others (like the genetic variation implications). It may be helpful if we can be clear about what worked for each of us and what our individual circumstances are/were, so s/he can evaluate what to try.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    Ooo ooo ooo!

My NE=1 story is my cholesterol was a touch high and I'd read on another message board how someone ate foods with cholestorol so I tested that theory by eating one or two full eggs a night instead of just egg whites.

Nothing else changed other than the food those calories were replacing (which was most likely something bready or chocolatey). I exercised the same and, if I recall correctly, this was in the year I was in unintentional maintenance.

Bad cholesterol and triglycerides both lowered at my next blood test.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options

Yes; sort of.

I think my total cholesterol actually went UP after weight loss and increased exercise between 2017 and 2020. It is technically high, but my doctor isn't the least bit worried. My "good" cholesterol increased significantly and is definitely high. My "bad" cholesterol decreased from "borderline" to "near optimal." These markers are still in those categories. My blood pressure also improved from borderline to pretty damn good. If my "good" cholesterol wasn't so darn high, my total would be well in the normal range. Doctor thinks this is fine.

In the years between 2013 and 2017, I made lame attempts at improving diet and exercise. My doctor suggested meds more than once, but allowed me to continue working on diet and exercise. Something changed around 2017, and I got serious. It worked.

I don't think you'll see drastic improvements in eight weeks, but I may be totally wrong. Irrespective of the timeline to improve, the very VERY best time to start is RIGHT NOW!

• hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Many thanks everyone for your replies, I don't know how to reply directly to individual posts, I've hopefully attached my current test results, can anyone clarify what optimal levels are for LDL if possible, I'm already on BP medication which I'm hoping better living will sort, I don't want to take statins as well, I'm female but the familial high cholesterol is in the male side, the doctors have never mentioned it to me despite my dad passing at 42 from heart disease
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Many thanks everyone for your replies, I don't know how to reply directly to individual posts, I've hopefully attached my current test results, can anyone clarify what optimal levels are for LDL if possible, I'm already on BP medication which I'm hoping better living will sort, I don't want to take statins as well, I'm female but the familial high cholesterol is in the male side, the doctors have never mentioned it to me despite my dad passing at 42 from heart disease

Optimal LDL levels are less than 100 mg/dl. I lowered mine with diet and exercise and losing weight...my guess would be that the losing weight part had the most impact. You can see progress with your numbers in 8 weeks, but it's not likely you will be in the optimal range in 8 weeks. It takes awhile to lower. It took me about 6 months to get into the optimal range and I had lost a good 30 Lbs or so at that point.

Diet wise I just paid a lot more attention to my nutrition...more veg and fruit, more whole foods and home cooking, less eating out and almost no fast food. I started eating fatty fish like tuna or salmon 3x per week or more and in general started eating more lean meats like chicken thighs ( I don't do breasts), pork tenderloin and pork chops, and lean cuts of beef rather than my previously more typical short ribs or rib eye steaks. I also started doing some form of exercise most days for at least 30 minutes and up to an hour.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I think there's hope for noticeable improvement in 8 weeks, with the right intervention. (Repeating, my change was weight loss only, but I was already eating some healthy foods (too much!) and was already more active than average.)

At the time, my lipid panels were around 6 months apart. Here, normal ranges/values at the time were:

Total Cholesterol: 130-200 (mg/DL)
    Triglycerides: 10-149 (mg/DL)
    HDL: >40 (mg/DL)
    LDL: < 130 (mg/DL)
    VLDL: 18-41 (mg/DL)
    CHOL/HDL Ratio: < 5.0

On Dec 2 2014, results were:

Total Cholesterol: 230 (high)
    Triglycerides: 193 (high)
    HDL: 45 (normal but had been low on earlier tests)
    LDL: 146 (high)
    VLDL: 39 (normal, but borderline)
    CHOL/HDL Ratio: 5.1 (high)

I started losing weight on April 17, 2015, at 183 pounds (class 1 obese at 5'5" tall)

On June 10, 2015 (55 days - slightly less than 8 weeks - after starting weight loss), I weighed 165.5 pounds, so 17.5 pounds down (lost a little too fast . . . !). These were the blood test results that day:

Total Cholesterol: 192 (barely normal)
    Triglycerides: 126 (normal)
    HDL: 39 (low - rose again later)
    LDL: 128 (barely normal)
    VLDL: 25 (normal)
    CHOL/HDL Ratio: 4.9 (barely normal)

That's not perfect, but it seems like noticeable improvement from weight loss in about 8 weeks.

Most recent (on July 5, 2022, maintained a healthy weight since early 2016, that day 130.6 pounds):

Total Cholesterol: 187 (normal on the high end, but because of very high HDL, which is good)
    Triglycerides: 101 (normal)
    HDL: 72.7 (very high, above normal, which is seen as good)
    LDL: 94.1 (normal)
    VLDL: 20.2 calculated (normal)
    CHOL/HDL Ratio: 2.57 (normal, and 3.7-4.6 is "low cardiac risk" for women, so I'm lower than "low risk")

Yes, I really do have this data where I can put my hands on it quickly!

That's a lot of details: Bottom line is that figuring out and taking the right steps can definitely pay off.
  • neanderthin
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The confusion around cholesterol is not surprising, especially now when in 2015 the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee said it was no longer a nutrient of concern.

Dietary cholesterol is hydrophobic, basically it doesn't mix with water and therefore doesn't just enter the blood stream and why it has no effect on serum levels and it's the liver the manufactures cholesterol which has nothing to do with the cholesterol we eat, and this has been well known for 40 years or so and I suspect that the Advisory Board could no longer ignore this factoid. Basically cholesterol is just cholesterol in the context of metabolization.

Every single cell in the human body is capable of manufacturing it's own cholesterol, that is how important cholesterol is and why vegans don't need to be concerned and depending on the individual there may be times where more cholesterol is needed and that is were the liver come in, it's our factory to produce and distribute cholesterol and this is where HDL and LDL is produced. The liver makes lipoproteins, actual containers, that will then take the cholesterol it manufactures and distribute that cargo to the body. The liver will fill these lipoproteins with other nutrients as well. For example, triglycerides, which are hydrophobic as well will take up most of the room in an LDL lipoprotein as well as vit. E, CoQ10 and a few other nutrients including cholesterol.

What kind of cholesterol is the liver manufacturing and are they all the same. Depending on a persons lifestyle and diet that will effect the type of cholesterol and can and does produced oxidized cholesterol which is basically damaged cholesterol. Short answer. So, basically there are types of LDL cholesterol (sub fractions) that are less and more atherogenic and oxidized cholesterol, the small dense ones, that gets further oxidized and get stuck in the lining of the arteries, and it's these small dense ones that fit between cells and not the larger more buoyant ones, generally speaking and these LDL remnants are what actually contribute to atherosclerosis.

How do we know we have oxidized LDL cholesterol, is the real question. The best way of course to to address it directly with a coronary artery calcium score CT scan which will actually tell you how much plaque you have and your risk going forward. You only need to ask your PCP, but I suspect there will be a cost, it cost me, but I'm in Canada.

Other than doing that, certain markers will generally dictate oxidized cholesterol. Early on, 40 years ago it was just LDL levels in general but science around this has progressed, and back 20 years ago or so, if I remember correctly the correlation with low HDL and elevated triglycerides was evident in people that were omitted with heart related problems and consequently that combination was found to be a good indicator. Since then particle size and the number of particles is now the better predictor.

Basically there's 2 groups pattern A and pattern B. Pattern B are the small dense particles that easily pierce the endothelium and these are oxidized. Size again is important. Basically the small dense oxidized cholesterol will also have higher numbers in group B. Lets say our LDL is 100 but if we have a predominance of small dense particles that make up the 100mg/l there could be a problem and probably is. Getting a NMR Lipoprofile – separates LDL particles into A (large, fluffy, buoyant) or B (small, dense) and for particle size it's Vertical Auto Profile-11, or a Quantimetrix Lipoprint LDL System or tube gel electrophoresis – analyzes lipoprotein sizes and assigns either a normal (less than 5.5), intermediate risk (5.5 to 8.5), or atherogenic all of these can be had through a blood panel and you can ask your PCP to be tested and hopefully your Dr. doesn't have that deer and a headlight look when you ask them.

Of course saturated fat didn't get off as lightly and they doubled down and reduced it even further and considering cholesterol is only found in animal products it kind of makes you wonder why. If dietary cholesterol is ok what's wrong with saturated fat? Science and politics doesn't mix any better than cholesterol and water.

Anyway, if we consume saturated fat with carbohydrates, LDL is elevated and everyone gets their pants in a bunch obviously, but when we look at the science it shows that when we replace mostly the refined carbohydrates with saturated fat then particle numbers reduce and the particle sizes get bigger, basically less atherogenic, and when we replace carbs with animal protein triglycerides are reduced and HDL is elevated, not something your going to hear in main stream media very much or ever. And if I personally look at this logically and more critically then when you consider France the basic home of too much saturated fat and have pretty much the lowest incident of heart disease on the planet as well as Hong Kong who consume if not the highest amount of meat on the planet also live the longest and if I look at it in an evolutionary lens, then why would our physiology only have made it a problem in the last 50 years. None of this makes any sense.

Basically it doesn't matter if your a vegan, a vegetarian, a carnivore if your consuming a whole food diet and are not sedentary and exercise to any degree, the chances that we need to worry is probably a low priority. If a person is obese, diabetic, hypertension, smoke and other comorbidities of MetS then you might want to think about that low LDL or ideal LDL number because the vast majority in this demographic have low HDL, elevated triglycerides, elevated C-reactive protein, kind of the perfect storm, and when you consider 50% of the first heart attach are fatal it's probably a good idea to have an understanding that is a little more comprehensive than your doctor tells you or what the media says....Cheers

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    So how do you get these tests ordered in Canada if your NP doesn't really think you need them since she's only known you as normal weight / normal results and doesn't seem to be interested in getting your previous history from your retired doctor's files?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So how do you get these tests ordered in Canada if your NP doesn't really think you need them since she's only known you as normal weight / normal results and doesn't seem to be interested in getting your previous history from your retired doctor's files?

Not sure. Also not sure that "really doesn't think you need them" qualifies as a diagnosis for the state of the calcium in your arteries, but who knows, some Doctors know everything.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Anyway, on a more serious note. A CT scan basically tells the story and then you can plan how to proceed from there. If your score is 0, then a person can at least relax and continue the lifestyle they're on without too much worry. If it gets over 100 then it's probably a good idea to take health and diet more seriously. The popular saying in the medical community is "not everyone dies of heart disease, but everyone dies with it" Cheers
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    Well @neanderthin ... this would be under the "guidelines do not indicate any such test is necessary at this time"... the part where all past history is erased once your doctor retired during COVID and you start from scratch even though that history IS available to be pulled... I'm still trying to figure that out...
  • neanderthin
    edited January 2023
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Well @neanderthin ... this would be under the "guidelines do not indicate any such test is necessary at this time"... the part where all past history is erased once your doctor retired during COVID and you start from scratch even though that history IS available to be pulled... I'm still trying to figure that out...

Damn, well I'm not surprised really. It's ironic that LDL-C the lowest form of evidence, and any cardiologist will tell you that, but meets guidelines. Hope you find a solution. Cheers