Dairy free, but not vegan or GF.

Options
alkues
alkues Posts: 30 Member
Hello! I was curious if there was anyone else out there that is dairy free but not vegan or gluten free. I’m in a rut meal wise and am looking for some inspiration. However, every time I Google search the recipes seem to be all three. I have a dairy allergy so I stay away. Small quantities won’t mess with me too much but it’s best if I abstain. You’d think I’d just go more m Mediterranean with my diet, and I do quite a bit of that, but sometimes I just want something that’s rich and creamy and comforting. Anyone have a recipe they’d like to share?

Replies

• ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You can make a classic potato soup just substituting oat or cashew milk. Don't boil the alternative milks since they separate very easily. I am allergic to the proteins in dairy so I sub all the time. You can make cream sauces the same way and add vegan cheese to make a cheese sauce. Anytime you see vegan on the label, you know that it is safe to eat. I go for ready to eat vegan meals if I am in a hurry. Try to sub non-dairy milks in ANYTHING that calls for milk. Oat milk is creamer than the others but has a lot of calories compared to almond. Also READ LABELS!!!!! Sodium caseinate is a dairy product that is in a lot of foods including some lunch meats.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    alkues wrote: »
    Hello! I was curious if there was anyone else out there that is dairy free but not vegan or gluten free. I’m in a rut meal wise and am looking for some inspiration. However, every time I Google search the recipes seem to be all three. I have a dairy allergy so I stay away. Small quantities won’t mess with me too much but it’s best if I abstain. You’d think I’d just go more m Mediterranean with my diet, and I do quite a bit of that, but sometimes I just want something that’s rich and creamy and comforting. Anyone have a recipe they’d like to share?

What about Thai cuisine in general and coconut milk for creamy and comforting?

If that's a yes I will get you the name of my cookbook.
  • alkues
    Options

kshama2001 wrote: »

I would love that! I’ma fan of Thai but I haven’t had any luck with online recipes and I’m trying to stay away from take out as I just don’t know what’s in the food (plus we don’t really have good Thai around here anyway!!)

Thank you! 😊
  • alkues
    Options
    You can make a classic potato soup just substituting oat or cashew milk. Don't boil the alternative milks since they separate very easily. I am allergic to the proteins in dairy so I sub all the time. You can make cream sauces the same way and add vegan cheese to make a cheese sauce. Anytime you see vegan on the label, you know that it is safe to eat. I go for ready to eat vegan meals if I am in a hurry. Try to sub non-dairy milks in ANYTHING that calls for milk. Oat milk is creamer than the others but has a lot of calories compared to almond. Also READ LABELS!!!!! Sodium caseinate is a dairy product that is in a lot of foods including some lunch meats.

Thank you!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    alkues wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I would love that! I’ma fan of Thai but I haven’t had any luck with online recipes and I’m trying to stay away from take out as I just don’t know what’s in the food (plus we don’t really have good Thai around here anyway!!)

Thank you! 😊

I really like Quick & Easy Thai Cuisine: Lemon Grass Cookbook, which was given to me by my ex, who lived in Thailand for 3 years.

Note: the recipes that supposedly serve 4 only serve me, my partner, and another 1/2 serving for me. I also add about double the meat they call for.

My ex really liked the Red Curry Chicken recipe, which only has 7 ingredients.

I've never found a recipe for Pad Thai that tastes like what I get in a restaurant.

I do like the Street Noodles/ Pad Sei Ew recipe. My notes say: Use 1# meat and double all but cornstarch and pepper.

For Baked Rice in Pineapple - I never actually baked it in a scooped out whole pineapple, but otherwise followed the recipe - yum!

The recipe from the can of Maesri Thai masaman curry tastes just like the masaman curry I used to get in South Florida. However, never buy from Amazon if you have access to an Asian grocery store - it will be MUCH cheaper locally.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite dairy free recipes... I often double the coconut milk and double the spice blend and use shrimp instead of fish and serve over rice. It's so warm and creamy and comforting. It's like an island curry. Yum yum.
    https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/caribbean-fish-stew?utm_source=pinterest.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social-share-recipe&utm_content=20201008&utm_term=362094

I'll post the recipe below in case the link doesn't work

Ingredients
    Ingredient

½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
    ½ teaspoon ground cumin
    1 ½ teaspoons salt, divided
    ¾ pound Alaskan salmon fillet, skin removed and cut into 2-inch pieces
    ¾ pound red snapper fillet, skin removed and cut into 2-inch pieces
    3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
    1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
    2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 jalapeño pepper, minced
    1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
    1 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
    ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
    1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
    Garnish: fresh cilantro

Directions Instructions
    Step 1
    Combine black pepper, red pepper, cumin, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle salmon and snapper on both sides with spice mixture. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add fish, and cook 2 minutes or until browned.

Step 2
    Heat remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and next 4 ingredients; sauté 6 minutes or until vegetables soften. Add coconut milk, tomatoes, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a simmer. Add fish; cover and simmer 3 minutes or until fish is cooked. Gently stir in cilantro leaves and lime juice. Garnish, if desired.

Hope you like it as much as I do 🤤😋

• hoodlisa1979
    hoodlisa1979 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm dairy free, after covid I found i can't tolerate it at all along with citrus 😒I tend to stick with vegan if I'm eating out or buying ready meals, I'm in the UK and I get alpro soy single cream which is surprisingly healthy for cream, it doesn't taste much different to dairy single and i add it dishes i want to be creamy, I avoid coconut oils due to the saturated fat content and I find vegan cheese awful in taste and texture but I buy a dairy free powdered cheese sauce for mac and cheese and although it isn't as lush its passable especially when you add the soy cream, I found many decent vegan recipes on pinterest and Instagram that can be altered to include meat or fish that have that comfort feel to them
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Steak. Fish. Chicken. Eggs. Basic breads (non-enriched dough). A meat sandwich served on a roll made with non-enriched dough. The vast majority of Chinese and Thai food. Lots of Japanese food (sushi, ramen, etc.). Vegetables stir-fried with whatever meat suits your fancy. Vegetables "hashed" with shredded or meat a couple of fried or poached eggs sitting on top. Soup made with meat or poultry or eggs (toss some wheat noodles in if you really want to make a point). Anything normally made with cheese that you sub vegan cheese into. Mashed potatoes made with margarine and chicken stock instead of milk, cream, or butter.

Of course, if you refuse to eat things that vegans or people avoiding gluten would eat, you're going to miss out on a lot of yummy stuff: Popcorn. Peanut butter. Any vegetable or fruit that isn't served served with an animal product.