Restaurant logging

Options
alkues
alkues Posts: 30 Member
I was hoping some folks could share any tips/tricks for how they log meals when they eat out. How do you get it the most accurate? How do you enjoy a meal out while staying within your calorie range?
Tagged:

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You're never going to be entirely accurate if you're eating food someone else made. However, there are a few options. Some places have nutrition info online, and some of those also have the ability to customize the nutrition to your actual order (think Starbucks and Chipotle-type places). Since a great many chain restaurants have entries in MFP, your best bet is to look up a similar dish from a chain and use that entry.

As far as enjoying a meal out...I do that several times a week. I don't cook, so restaurant meals are a huge part of my diet. I distilled eating out to a few rules that I stick to and find it pretty easy to maintain my weight that way. I've been maintaining for a while now, but I'm sure it would be easy to tweak for weight loss.

My first rule is that dinner out is just dinner. By that I mean not every meal out is a 4-course celebration with drinks and apps and dessert. I stick to an entree and maybe one drink and skip the rest. I do take a bite or two if apps are ordered for the table, but never order one for myself alone.

My second rule is eat half. Virtually every meal out, I only eat a half or sometimes a third, depending on how "healthy" the portions are. Some people box up half when the meal begins, but I'm so used to it now I just eat what I plan to and leave the rest until after the meal.

My third rule is make the best choices you can. Things like skip the fries and get the steamed vegetables or fajitas instead of a fried burrito or a leaner protein...that kind of thing.

Following these has made the biggest difference in balancing out the caloric effects of restaurant food. It's not a perfect system, but it's proven pretty workable for me!
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I watch what I eat but eat what I want and do a good-faith estimate as soon as I can log it. I have cut down on dining out for sure, but it’s too fun to give up!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,677 Member
    Options
    A few things beyond the above...

First, I only drink water when I dine out at a sit-down place. This is in part to save calories, part to save money, and part simply because restaurants do their own mixing of ingredients, and it's often not done all that well IMHO, especially sodas where the ratio of syrup to sparkling water is off. Let me just drink water. (Exceptions for a single glass of wine at my wife's favorite Italian place, and the sweet tea served at my preferred steak house.)

Second, the highest calories IME come when food is fried or when there's a heavy sauce, especially cheese-based or most salad dressings. Almost invariably there's an option for baked/grilled instead of fried, you can ask for "light" helpings of sauce or dressing, or put into a dipping cup on the side instead of smothered across. Personally, I've come to prefer my salads without any dressing at all; I can actually taste the various ingredients, and saves a ton of calories.

If I know I'm eating out ahead of time (say date night with my wife), I'll plan ahead and eat low-calorie options during the rest of the day, saving calories for that night. I may eat lighter during the week leading up, as well.

If I'm out with my wife, we'll split a single dessert, if we have dessert at all. At the end of date night, it's romantic for us to be huddling close over the same dish, each of us taking turns spooning up a portion for the other to enjoy. (We sometimes ask the waiter to split a dessert into two separate plates/cups if we want to instead sit back and enjoy.)

Many sit-down restaurants serve different sized portions whether it's lunch or dinner. Usually you can ask for the lunch portion at dinner, which can be anywhere from 10%-50% smaller. (Alas, I cannot ask for the larger dinner portion at lunchtime.)
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    For me, eating at a restaurant is a rare enough occurrence that I enjoy myself and don't stick to low(er) calorie foods and options. I will bank calories ahead so I have them to "spend," but also don't panic if I happen to go over. I find similar items in the database and have go-tos for various cuisines (favorite date night spots, heh.)

If I have absolutely no idea or find the idea of logging every single thing just too tedious, I just quick-add 1200 calories. I wouldn't if I was going out to eat all the time, but it has worked well enough for my purposes in the past.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 997 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I eat out 3-4 times a week at least and none of the restaurants I go to in NYC have calories posted. (Not sure I’ve ever seen calories posted at a restaurant honestly..)

I guesstimate as well as I can. I also ask the food server questions if needed.. ie was this cooked in oil? that helps.

Also - many of the logging tips @AnnPT77 had were great!
  • TeresaWJ
    TeresaWJ Posts: 15 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    A good on-line tool to reference values for restaurant foods is
    https://www.calorieking.com/us/en/foods/c/calories-in-fast-foods-fair-foods-eating-out-restaurants/O3wZwU8oQt2Mv66PkrT0MQ
    Not all restaurants are included but it's a start.
    I have always found servers to be very helpful in selecting alternative foods.
    "Dietary restrictions for health reasons" works like a charm.
  • alkues
    alkues Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for giving such in depth advice! Everything I've read in this thread has been incredibly helpful. Eating out is feeling a little less daunting! I meal plan for the week but many times weekends end up being food on the fly (kids are in so many activities!!). Plus, I've been wanting to get a sitter and check out a new restaurant and I don't want to be obsessed with calories.
  • mrsmeteor
    mrsmeteor Posts: 35 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Most of the big chains have their nutritional info online so you can plan before you even get there. With independent restaurants you could try deconstructing your meal into it's individual parts and logging each one separately, or looking for a similar entry in the database; it's never going to be exactly right.

As far as staying within your calories, lots of places have "light" menus (means different things to different restaurants, so YMMV). Also: you can ask for modifications like butter/dressing on the side, hold the cheese, skip the bread, etc. I guess I don't really worry about it much. We went to Cracker Barrel and I got the Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese, sweet tea, and biscuits and it was an outrageous amount of calories but I didn't care because it was totally worth it :D and I won't do it again for a while.