Have you ran a 5k when you thought it was impossible?

Options
Hello everyone! I’m gonna make a long story short. I’ve wanted to run a 5k, I started training for it and dropped it after a while cause once i reached my goal, I got outside to do it (had been training on the treadmill), I could only run about a mile and that was pushing it. Recently I’ve gotten a burst of motivation to try training again, but outside. I do have asthma and i had believed I had grown out of it until I went to run outside that day and I was pumping the inhaler afterwards. I know it’s normal to be out of breath when exercising but I had been doing the normal 5k amount on the treadmill, and had to take my inhaler after one mile outside. All of this kind of put me down and I gave it up at the time. Anyways, my question is, have you run a 5k when you (at one time) thought it was impossible?

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Running outside is harder than on the treadmill.
    Try the Couch to 5 k program so that you build up slowly, repeat weeks if you feel you need to, and go slow, slower than you think. You'll gradually speed up as you work through the weeks and get used to it.

Keep going, eventually there will be a day when your pootling along and realise you feel fine, and that's a really good day :)
  • metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have run a 5k when I was not a runner and felt uncomfortable with running, and was out of shape. It was challenging. I gave myself permission to walk when needed, and I did walk some of the race. It gave me a great feeling of accomplishment to just finish at that time, and encouraged me to do more
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've been running pretty consistently now for close to 15 years (did my first every 5K race in 2009) but when I started running I could barely make it around the block without wishing for death. When I ran my first 5K I had trained mostly on the treadmill so I had terrible shin splints by about the 3rd km but managed to finish and has since gone on the half-marathons and triathlons. The feeling crossing that finish line for the first time is indescribable and is what motivated me to keep running more challenging distances and races.

I'm not asthmatic though so my experience is probably very different from yours. Have you spoken to your doctor about your concerns?

Google Galen Rupp. He's one of the finest distance runners around and he has asthma and severe seasonal allergies.

Assuming that your doctor medically clears you my best advice is to make the transition from treadmill to running outside gradually and run at a very comfortable pace. Short distances run slowly and gradually build up. Make sure that you've got your inhaler with you at all times.

Good luck!

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    When I started running, it was on the TM doing C25k. When I transitioned to outdoors, the first month or so was more difficult, partly because I live in a hilly area and wasn't used to the higher incline. It is also hard to learn to gauge your pace so you are running really easily. It is much easier on the TM when you let the machine set the pace. Now, after 10 years as a runner, I find it much easier to run outside. It just takes practice.

As to the asthma issue: Talk to your doctor. I have two FB friends who are multiple marathoners who have asthma. They have learned how to adjust their meds so they can run long distances. One runs slowly, the other races all out.
  • KenZSisler
    KenZSisler Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words and inspiring stories! I loved reading them and they definitely encouraged me😀 I will speak with a Dr about this to make sure I’m doing everything that is needed to help me along the way. I am aiming to run my first 5k in 2023!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Some practical things: running outside, especially in winter can be taxing for your airways. Cold, dry air can make asthma worse. I suggest you get used to the weather first. Walk for 10 minutes at a moderate pace and breathe normally. Let your airways get used to being outside. Then run slowly so that your breathing doesn't go up too much and you're still able to talk. Other people overtake you? Don't worry about it. You'll eventually get better and faster, and your airways will get used to this. Don't do faster runs yet. Once you're able to run 5km you can do more variations, like faster runs, small intervals that are a bit faster, or also slow, longer runs. It's mostly those slow, longer runs that build cardiovascular ability to do more with running.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    On Feb.24, 2022 I weighed 388.6 pounds and got winded showering at age 40

I'm now 241.8 and run 5.5km on the treadmill 3 days on, 1 day off.

I'm getting ready for my first 5km races April.2 where my goal is to break 30 minutes which I'm confident I will do.

That's wonderful! May I suggest you also do a few runs outside before the race? Running on road is a lot more strenuous than on a treadmill as you have to propel yourself forward, there might be wind, small undulations in the road and all sorts of things.

Mind you, I've been running close to 8 years now, at normal weight and I've never managed to run anywhere near 30 minutes. You're fantastic!
  • JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's just waaaaay too cold up here in Canada lol. I'm planning on it once things warm up.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,121 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I'm getting ready for my first 5km races April.2 where my goal is to break 30 minutes which I'm confident I will do.

That's wonderful! May I suggest you also do a few runs outside before the race? Running on road is a lot more strenuous than on a treadmill as you have to propel yourself forward, there might be wind, small undulations in the road and all sorts of things.

Mind you, I've been running close to 8 years now, at normal weight and I've never managed to run anywhere near 30 minutes. You're fantastic!

Also don't forget that women run a bit slower on average, best not to compare ourselves to men 🙂
    Well, best not to compare ourselves to anyone, I think, except ourselves! I've looked at some websites to judge my own times and one of them said I was a beginner (running since one month) after 3 years of running 😛
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    Options

Very cool on all your progress with health and joining the running community. Depending on your height and overall fitness just be careful on pushing it to the point of injury. You'll be on cloud nine when you get your first 5k under 30. I've done it a few times. Keep in mind you'll have to average between 6.2-6.7 mph pace to get it done in under 30. These would be miles in the 9:25-40 min range. Last year I entered the cities big 10k race and got it done in just under 57 minutes(I got 3 of the 6 miles just under 9 mins other were very close to 9). I'm 12 years your senior, so I pay attention to all the aches and pains when I push a run. Don't beat yourself up if it takes you longer possibly past the point of your upcoming race. If you keep at it you'll get there. Definitely do some outside runs I tend to mix it up. I'm not a fan of cold and outside is a different animal when all the other things are in play. I had not done the cities 10k since 92' so I was scared I was going to just stop at some point. Inclines, declines running with thousands, folks running by or having to run around to get ahead of some whew... I got into it within the first mile and the excitement drove me to get it done and in a decent time for someone my age who had taken off 20+ years from walking let alone running in an official 10k. I'll be running it again on April 16. Right now I'd be hurting likely to get it done under 60. But I'm training and hopeful to maybe get it done in 55 mins.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    KenZSisler wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I’m gonna make a long story short. I’ve wanted to run a 5k, I started training for it and dropped it after a while cause once i reached my goal, I got outside to do it (had been training on the treadmill), I could only run about a mile and that was pushing it. Recently I’ve gotten a burst of motivation to try training again, but outside. I do have asthma and i had believed I had grown out of it until I went to run outside that day and I was pumping the inhaler afterwards. I know it’s normal to be out of breath when exercising but I had been doing the normal 5k amount on the treadmill, and had to take my inhaler after one mile outside. All of this kind of put me down and I gave it up at the time. Anyways, my question is, have you run a 5k when you (at one time) thought it was impossible?

I don't know what the climate is where you are, but the cold can play a major role. Cold-induced asthma is a thing. If you are in a colder climate, then that's quite possibly the culprit moreso than the extra effort involved in running outside (from wind and self-propelling oneself forward).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    KenZSisler wrote: »

I don't know what the climate is where you are, but the cold can play a major role. Cold-induced asthma is a thing. If you are in a colder climate, then that's quite possibly the culprit moreso than the extra effort involved in running outside (from wind and self-propelling oneself forward).

Also, if that is the case... don't be disheartened if you are way slower than you want and expect to be and need extra walking breaks. The first winter that I was actively training for a long race, I was unhappy at how physically out-of-shape I seemed to be all of a sudden - being slow and needing walking breaks almost every 2 minutes. When we suddenly got a freak-warm-sunny 50°F day that February, I ran the longest and fastest I had ever run..I felt great. Which is to say.. that those seemingly crappy runs were still providing excellent training stimulus and improving my fitness and I was actually making progress (even if it didn't seem that way at the time).
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I was a biker, who thought they could never run because I couldn't breath. I got there, you can too.

I prefer to run outside, but when running on a treadmill I give it a 1-1.5% incline. Hubby suggested it, he's a marathon runner, and it really helped me to transition to outdoors. It doesn't seem like much and it could be all in my head, but that's ok by me.

I also have asthma, the cold really can be a huge problem for me. In colder weather I need to start crazy slow and gradually speed up or I'm a mess. If I can get into a comfortable rhythm, I'm good, but sometimes my runs turn into fast walks or I just go inside and run (or ride if I'm being lazy).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I started running at 57, on a sort of homemade version of Couch to 5k. I could never get the app to work properly. I had not run since I was 14 and forced to for the President’s Physical Fitness test, which was a very particular kind of hell inflicted on kids in the 60’s and 70’s.

I have not run an organized 5k, but can run 5k. The first time I did it was an exhilarating accomplishment.

Now, as the proud cohabitor with a mental rescue dog who is suspicious, hurt and jealous if I leave the front door without him, I very seldom run more than a mile now, unless I’m traveling and don’t have access to a gym or yoga studio. I always take running gear with me.

It’s staggering to know that I can do it, if I need to or feel like it. Me. me? It’s like having a secret superpower.
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Running outside is definitely harder than on a treadmill. A treadmill is a controlled environment, and controlled speed. When you're outside, your body is doing all the work, if your legs don't move, you don't move. If you're on a treadmill and you don't move...well, you go flying off. lol But there's also, the temperature outside, wind, terrain, etc. Anyway, I got into running in my early 30s. I did some running in high school, not like track or anything, I played soccer. I was always a pretty decent runner growing up but never ran more than a mile. My aunt (almost 60 now and still very athletic) got me into running. I watched her do a triathlon and decided to try a 5K. I did well enough that I signed up for another and another. Now I run marathons (5 down, aiming for 10 and then maybe consider doing an ultra). I also have asthma, but mine is induced by environmental factors like poor air quality (I live in the city so that's most days), allergies (spring is soooo much fun), and heat/humidity (I live in Texas...).

You're going to have tough days, no matter how fast you are or how long you've been running, some days will be harder than others. You just gotta keep at it.