Why do we miss inputting to nutrition diaries? - I need motivation please :)

Options
Hey everyone,
I realized I had difficulty keeping my nutrition diaries (noting my calorie intakes and meals). Do you also miss your entries? Why do you miss them and what would prevent you from missing?

For me:
-I miss entries when depressed or when I am friends. Generally I cannot set any new entries when eating outside with friends. The solution I found is to make a voice note as if talking to my mom and later input them to my nutrition diary.

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    When I was working, I would jot down what I ate on a piece of paper so I would remember to log it later (similar to what you're doing with your voice note). :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    It doesn't always work, but in cases where it wouldn't be impolite, I've snapped a photo of my plate before I ate (no flash!), to log later. It helps to put something standard sized like a table fork in the photo for scale. You can use things like "this looks so yummy I need a photo" as a polite explanation, even. (I don't like telling others when I'm trying to lose weight - leads to unwanted conversations too often.)

During weight loss, and in the first months of maintenance, I'd log every day, even when I had to guess or estimate. When I couldn't use the photo method, I'd make mental notes of what I'd eaten and how much. I wasn't great at that at first, but practice made memory better, and weighing food at home gradually made me better at estimating quantities. Things I practice tend to improve, y'know?

For me, logging during loss was a commitment I made to myself, and I tried not to make it an emotional thing. It was just food, I ate it, my body was going to count it, there was no need to indulge in guilt or catastrophize about it - I could own my decisions, learn from some of them, and go on.

I rarely log online in real time. At home, I scribble on notepaper scavenged from junk mail as I cook, and log after. (Many people pre-log. You can log rough quantities ahead, adjust after based on such notes, if it helps.) When eating away from home, I use photos or memory.

Now, in year 7 of maintenance, I still log most days, but skip some if I'm especially busy, if the estimate would be total guesswork, or the day/meal would be especially time consuming to log. At this point, from that early scrupulous logging, I have an excellent understanding of my calorie needs, generally nutritious and calorie-appropriate eating patterns in place, and gut-level confidence that I'll see problems on the scale before things get out of hand. None of that was true for me at first.

Putting a routine together that works for us as individual, personalized to individual preferences, strengths and challenges, is a useful thing. I think I can learn ideas from others to try, but I need to experiment, figure out what works for me.

Best wishes!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I don’t log when I’m maintaining or intentionally gaining. I’ve done my weight loss in phases though.

I don’t want to log my food for the rest of my life. That’s my decision. A lot of others say logging is essential for them. I happen to find it tedious and annoying so I will only do it in short bursts.
  • Toddahlie
    Toddahlie Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It doesn't always work, but in cases where it wouldn't be impolite, I've snapped a photo of my plate before I ate (no flash!), to log later. It helps to put something standard sized like a table fork in the photo for scale. You can use things like "this looks so yummy I need a photo" as a polite explanation, even. (I don't like telling others when I'm trying to lose weight - leads to unwanted conversations too often.)

I had not thought of it, great idea!! especially when I eat away from home
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    You talking missed or decided to skip it? If you find a way to talk yourself out of it, don’t do that. Missed as in forgot? Go back and do the best you can to get everything logged in with a number. Calorie counting doesn’t have to be perfect to work. That’s not a reason to get sloppy but the process is more important than the numbers in the long run. Keep doing the process.

I always track with pen and paper. Using the computer reminds me of being at work. My food diary stays out on the kitchen counter. Makes it hard to forget.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    "I happen to find it tedious and annoying so I will only do it in short bursts. " I feel the same.

Since I have been in maintenance for more than 12 years, being very strict with the weighting and logging of everything that I put in my mouth is not very important. I have days of sporadically logging, followed by days of more organized documentation. It works for me.

In general, when I eat out I don't log my food unless the calories and nutritional information are listed on the menu or website. Most of the places that my husband and I eat at are local and not part of a chain, so finding that information is not possible. I only take "mental" pictures, and I later make a note on the Comments section of my diary describing what I ate, and that's all.

OP, if you are in the "losing" stage of your journey my method may not work for you, so find an easy and convenient way to keep track of your meals; something that works for you. Pencil and paper also worked for me in the past.

• cinalicikler
    cinalicikler Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

During weight loss, and in the first months of maintenance, I'd log every day, even when I had to guess or estimate. When I couldn't use the photo method, I'd make mental notes of what I'd eaten and how much. I wasn't great at that at first, but practice made memory better, and weighing food at home gradually made me better at estimating quantities. Things I practice tend to improve, y'know?

For me, logging during loss was a commitment I made to myself, and I tried not to make it an emotional thing. It was just food, I ate it, my body was going to count it, there was no need to indulge in guilt or catastrophize about it - I could own my decisions, learn from some of them, and go on.

I rarely log online in real time. At home, I scribble on notepaper scavenged from junk mail as I cook, and log after. (Many people pre-log. You can log rough quantities ahead, adjust after based on such notes, if it helps.) When eating away from home, I use photos or memory.

Now, in year 7 of maintenance, I still log most days, but skip some if I'm especially busy, if the estimate would be total guesswork, or the day/meal would be especially time consuming to log. At this point, from that early scrupulous logging, I have an excellent understanding of my calorie needs, generally nutritious and calorie-appropriate eating patterns in place, and gut-level confidence that I'll see problems on the scale before things get out of hand. None of that was true for me at first.

Putting a routine together that works for us as individual, personalized to individual preferences, strengths and challenges, is a useful thing. I think I can learn ideas from others to try, but I need to experiment, figure out what works for me.

Best wishes!

Wow, really nice ideas, especially about taking picture part :love: Thank you !
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    "I happen to find it tedious and annoying so I will only do it in short bursts. " I feel the same.

Since I have been in maintenance for more than 12 years, being very strict with the weighting and logging of everything that I put in my mouth is not very important. I have days of sporadically logging, follow by days of more organized documentation. It works for me.

In general, when I eat out I don't log my food unless the calories and nutritional information are listed in the menu or website. Most of the places that my husband and I eat at are local and not part of a chain, so finding that information is not possible. I only take "mental" pictures, and I later make a note on the Comments section of my diary describing what I ate, and that's all.

OP, if you are in the "losing" stage of your journey my method may not work for you, so find an easy and conveniet way to keep track of your meals. Pencil and paper also worked for me in the past.
  • CapriceD
    CapriceD Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have trouble due to not having the bar scanner. I mis that feature.
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have a weekly food schedule. Same thing each week, so I log every day in at the beginning of the week and just adjust anything that is different such as an extra snack, change the veg from beans to peas, etc. I find that this way, it only takes a few minutes to finish the day. Also saves on trying to decide what to eat and makes shopping easier.
  • cinalicikler
    Options
    ratchet2 wrote: »
    I have a weekly food schedule. Same thing each week, so I log every day in at the beginning of the week and just adjust anything that is different such as an extra snack, change the veg from beans to peas, etc. I find that this way, it only takes a few minutes to finish the day. Also saves on trying to decide what to eat and makes shopping easier.

Could you please share an example of this food schedule? Maybe I can learn from it to update mine :)
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I log all my meals at the beginning of the day or the night before. I then know how much I have to play with for snacks. If I am going out for dinner I look at the menu before and I log what I want to order.

I find it easier to stick to the kcals that way.
  • ratchet2
    ratchet2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Could you please share an example of this food schedule? Maybe I can learn from it to update mine :)

Sunday - chicken, baked potato, frozen california veg, marg, hot sauce
    Monday - same as Sunday - left overs
    Tuesday - Chicken Ceasar Salad
    Wednesday - macaroni and cheese (this is old style of macaroni with grated cheddar on top)
    Thursday - burger patty, coleslaw, french fries
    Friday and Saturday changable
    end of day - 2 pieces of chocolate

breakfasts are coffee (with sugar and creamer), yogurt, frozen fruit
    Lunch - veggies and dip, i know i need to find a protien to add
  • cinalicikler
    Options

Sunday - chicken, baked potato, frozen california veg, marg, hot sauce
    Monday - same as Sunday - left overs
    Tuesday - Chicken Ceasar Salad
    Wednesday - macaroni and cheese (this is old style of macaroni with grated cheddar on top)
    Thursday - burger patty, coleslaw, french fries
    Friday and Saturday changable
    end of day - 2 pieces of chocolate

breakfasts are coffee (with sugar and creamer), yogurt, frozen fruit
    Lunch - veggies and dip, i know i need to find a protien to add

Wow :smiley: Thank you for sharing. A wonderful schedule :blush: For the protein, you might prefer activa or similar probiotic yoghurt or kefir. I have generally stomach pain hence I added a glass of Kefir with activa and now am much better and also has a lot of protein.

• NC_Gardener
    NC_Gardener Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I just know I have to log. If I don't, I veer off course enough to put on a lot of weight! My normal appetite and food choices makes me a good 30lbs higher weight than I like to be.

I'm starting over now, aamof. I've lost 1 lb so far 🙂
  • cinalicikler
    Options
    I just know I have to log. If I don't, I veer off course enough to put on a lot of weight! My normal appetite and food choices makes me a good 30lbs higher weight than I like to be.

I'm starting over now, aamof. I've lost 1 lb so far 🙂

Same here :smile: Hope this time with the motivation from this wonderful community I can be more confident and progress much further than before. I believe by following each other we can motivate ourselves :blush: You can also add me as friend!