New here building muscle

Options
I've had the app for a while just never used it. I am currently 35 at 221.6 pounds @ 6'2" and would really like help learning how to maximize muscle growth without losing too much weight . I am going to say my body fat percentage is roughly 25-30% . I started out at close to 240 pounds, I would like to stay near the 220 pound range but lower my body fat percentage closer to 15% ish 🙃

Replies

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    What you want to do is commonly referred to as body recomp. There have been some great threads on how to accomplish that in this forum. I'd recommend searching MFP for the term "body recomp" and browsing the results.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    jb3287 wrote: »
    I've had the app for a while just never used it. I am currently 35 at 221.6 pounds @ 6'2" and would really like help learning how to maximize muscle growth without losing too much weight . I am going to say my body fat percentage is roughly 25-30% . I started out at close to 240 pounds, I would like to stay near the 220 pound range but lower my body fat percentage closer to 15% ish 🙃
    recomping doesn’t work for everyone as many factors must be in place. Losing 22 lbs of fat and adding 22 lbs of muscle will be a bit of a stretch regardless. You may want to concentrate on Fatloss and muscle retention and then when you’ve leaned out to where you want, change your diet from being in a deficit to a slight surplus while trading properly.

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I agree with tom.

Unless you are a complete beginner and yet to experience noob muscle gains from weights, what you're proposing will be a very slow process.

Better to aim for a slight deficit for a weekly drop of 0.5 pounds or just a little more, and drop at least ten more pounds before returning to maintenance. That slow rate should enable you to maintain muscle while lifting, assuming adequate protein of 150g-175g.

Or focus on the fat loss first, do it faster aiming for at least 1 pound per week lost. Then go to maintenance or a very slight surplus depending on your bodyfat % at that time.

You can estimate your bodyfat % with a tape measure using the Navy method. Look online for a calculator. Measure around neck and waist at the navel, relaxed pose.
  • MuffinTopMan74
    MuffinTopMan74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am currently Body-Recomping. It is working for me as my body fat was at 31.7; now at 27.3, according to Navy Tape (Body Fat) calculations. I am also a noob to weightlifting, and this is important because I am gaining muscle faster than a novice to experience. Also, my diet is based on the cutting design bodybuilders use before they go into a competition. I set my calories, not at maintenance but at my BMR (1884). I did so to lose fat but not weight. Yes, I will lose some weight in time, but with my diet, I will retain muscle and grow some. Since my body fat was above 25% and a noob, this system was a good choice. My diet is set at 1.5g protein per KG of body weight (209 lbs = 94.8kg x 1.5 = 142). Rule of thumb- Protein = 4 calories, Carb =4 calories, and Fat= 9 calories. 142 g protein x 4= 568, so 568/ 1884 =30.15 or 30.15% of my BMR calories.
    The rest of my calories should mainly come from carbs and extra protein while limiting fat to low as possible. As I become leaner, my calories will grow to promote muscle growth and proper muscle synthesis. At this point, my goal is to lose fat and build muscle in a steady profession that is easy to follow and produces results. Now, if you are leaner and a more experienced lifter, your protein and calorie needs will be higher than mine, and I see people as high as 40% protein in their diets. I started in June at 228 lbs, after a mild heart attack and quintuple bypass surgery. I started with simple walking and the cardio rehab hospital program. In December, I joined a real gym and got DOMs in my legs, doing too much from the beginning. I got some coaching and now have a three-month beginners' workout to build muscle and strengthen tendons, ligaments, bone connections, and the bone themselves. I am doing well and processing steadily.
  • MuffinTopMan74
    MuffinTopMan74 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    After giving my info, I will say Diet is the most important. I struggle to try to get enough protein. I supplemented by using or drinking two Corepower (by fairlife) a day. It helps and provides 84g of protein easily. No, it is not a Whey Isolate protein shake, but it is a quality protein source and tastes pretty good. I am getting better at meal prepping on my budget, and I take a lot of advice and do my research. I will increase my calories and protein in about eight more weeks, not by much, according to my body fat and weight. My goal at the moment is 20% body fat and, honestly to be able to do overhand pull-ups without assistance bands.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    After giving my info, I will say Diet is the most important. I struggle to try to get enough protein. I supplemented by using or drinking two Corepower (by fairlife) a day. It helps and provides 84g of protein easily. No, it is not a Whey Isolate protein shake, but it is a quality protein source and tastes pretty good. I am getting better at meal prepping on my budget, and I take a lot of advice and do my research. I will increase my calories and protein in about eight more weeks, not by much, according to my body fat and weight. My goal at the moment is 20% body fat and, honestly to be able to do overhand pull-ups without assistance bands.

In case you haven't run across it, the spreadsheet linked from this thread could also be helpful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It lists many, many food sources of protein, in order by protein efficiency - most protein for fewest calories.
  • jb3287
    jb3287 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice I have changed my diet more , I also have setup to start meal prepping with some chicken,brown rice, and Brockley . I'm going to drop down another 10 lbs .
  • jb3287
    jb3287 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Update I have dropped to 215.8 lbs and still working towards 210lbd
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • soulo_ridah
    soulo_ridah Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    jb3287 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your advice I have changed my diet more , I also have setup to start meal prepping with some chicken,brown rice, and Brockley . I'm going to drop down another 10 lbs .

Ok but why??? You can eat so much more variety of foods and still be losing weight. how long can you keep this up for????