Totally confused by deficit

Options
Hi all, I'm totally confused about calorie deficit. I'm 5ft2 and weigh 162lbs / 11 stone 8. Doctors told me I have to loose weight. I have calculated my calories and I think I should be eating 1600. I have been sticking to this for the last 2 weeks and I've put on 1lb. I have an office job, so that holds me back during the day, but I do walk my dog most evenings for around 30mins and I also do 1 hour of pilates a week. Am I eating too much for all the exercise I do? Do I need to get out more or what can I do? I feel like giving up. I just don't understand deficit and am going insane googling and reading umpteen different calorie articles. Thank you in advance

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Give it 2 more weeks. If you haven’t lost or if you’ve actually gained you’ll need to lower weekly calories accordingly. There is a good chance you’re taking in more than an average of 1,600 a day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    Options
    And scale fluctuations. It is never too early to start using a weight trend app or web site. Happy scale iPhone Libra Android trendweight.com or weightgrapher.com are some but probably not all of your options!👍
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi all, I'm totally confused about calorie deficit. I'm 5ft2 and weigh 162lbs / 11 stone 8. Doctors told me I have to loose weight. I have calculated my calories and I think I should be eating 1600. I have been sticking to this for the last 2 weeks and I've put on 1lb. I have an office job, so that holds me back during the day, but I do walk my dog most evenings for around 30mins and I also do 1 hour of pilates a week. Am I eating too much for all the exercise I do? Do I need to get out more or what can I do? I feel like giving up. I just don't understand deficit and am going insane googling and reading umpteen different calorie articles. Thank you in advance

How much are you adding to the MPF base calories for the exercise you are doing? A 30 minute walk with the doggo depending on pace may not burn much over your baseline. Pilates is excellent but at one hour a week that would only give you extra calories that day (or carry over a bit to the next if you like). I'm shorter than you, and a tad lighter. I don't get anywhere near 1600 calories using MFP's calculations (lightly active, -1lb/week, 5'1" 157lb ~1300 calories). What is your weight loss rate & activity set for on here?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Difficult to say over two weeks with new exercise and taking into account normal bodyweight fluctuations...most people can fluctuate anywhere from 0-5 Lbs day to day and it has nothing to do with fat or doing this or that right or wrong. Unfortunately weight loss and weight management in general requires analyzing the general trend over time.

That said...with a desk job and what appears to be fairly minimal activity outside of that, 1600 seems like it would be closer to maintenance level of calories for you stats IMO. My wife is also 5'2" and about 145 at the moment. She used to lose on about 1600-1700 calories, but that's also back when she was running 5 miles 5x per week and hitting the weight room 3x per week. We're both cutting weight right now and she can't train the way she used to due to time constraints so she's had to cut here calories back more than she's accustomed to to lose weight...I'm also in that same boat since I'm not racing bikes any more.

Walking 30 minutes most days and doing Pilates is absolutely great for your overall health, but it's not a particularly large expenditure of energy. A calorie deficit is any number of calories that is less than the calories you require to maintain. A 500 calorie per day deficit from your maintenance level of calories equates to roughly 1Lb per week of fat loss on average (note that this won't necessarily show on the scale week to week due to normal fluctuations).
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I’d suggest going back before you started MFP and entering an estimate of what you ate on a “normal” day.

Doing that made me understand the “cost” of food versus the amount of work (aka exercise) it took to burn that same food off.

I honestly had no idea. Correlating the one to the other was a game changer for me.

I’m not stupid, and I know you’re not either, but I was ignorant of how my body worked. I honestly thought a three mile walk once or twice a week burned off what turned out to be thousands of calories of junk food.

That was my lightbulb moment.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I agree it hasn’t been long enough. I will say though that at 40 yrs old with a desk job, 1600 is my maintenance 😢😵‍💫
  • MJW12020
    MJW12020 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I will just add my agreement to give it more time. Also, a 30 minute walk once a day does not burn many calories (especially if your dog is not a quick walker). I don't know how much Pilates burns, but suspect it is similar to weight lifting in the sense that it is great for strength and conditioning but doesn't burn a lot of calories.
    I suggest recalculating your calorie target with your lifestyle as "lightly active" if you did something different. And of course tracking absolutely every calorie that goes in your mouth.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    MJW12020 wrote: »
    I will just add my agreement to give it more time. Also, a 30 minute walk once a day does not burn many calories (especially if your dog is not a quick walker). I don't know how much Pilates burns, but suspect it is similar to weight lifting in the sense that it is great for strength and conditioning but doesn't burn a lot of calories.
    I suggest recalculating your calorie target with your lifestyle as "lightly active" if you did something different. And of course tracking absolutely every calorie that goes in your mouth.

My 37-minute walk today (just over two miles) burned an estimated 186 calories as calculated by my Garmin device which has done a pretty good job of estimating expenditures for the last four years. Mid-50s right around 140 pounds; a heavier person would burn more. If 200 calories is "not many," then you're right. Then again, I don't walk that slow, so that increases the burn perhaps. For me, it represents an 11% increase over my base calories, so I think I would categorize it as "not many." YMMV.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

My 37-minute walk today (just over two miles) burned an estimated 186 calories as calculated by my Garmin device which has done a pretty good job of estimating expenditures for the last four years. Mid-50s right around 140 pounds; a heavier person would burn more. If 200 calories is "not many," then you're right. Then again, I don't walk that slow, so that increases the burn perhaps. For me, it represents an 11% increase over my base calories, so I think I would categorize it as "not many." YMMV.

It's relative. I burn more than 2x the calories road cycling vs walking for the same amount of time. I'd say relative to just about any other form of aerobic exercise, walking provides the smallest energy expenditure for the time.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »

It's relative. I burn more than 2x the calories road cycling vs walking for the same amount of time. I'd say relative to just about any other form of aerobic exercise, walking provides the smallest energy expenditure for the time.

I don't disagree with that at all. If I take my commuter bike out and take a nice leisurely ride, I wonder what the burn would be. Even at a leisurely pace, though, I would cover a LOT more miles. Bikes are super efficient. If you're out on a road ride, I bet a bagel with cream cheese you're intentionally moving it. If I up my walk pace or turn it into a jog... more work, more burn.

I was just commenting that walking for a half hour, especially at more than a lollygag pace, can use more energy than what I'd call "not many calories." Some people dismiss walking as meaningful exercise. On the other hand, I do not disagree that some people conflate its effectiveness at rapidly burning calories. I think we agree on most of this stuff.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    lr0fl1ph7b9y.jpeg
    Walking burns around 100 calories per mile however terrain, speed, your physical stature and fitness will have an effect. Walking takes no equipment and almost everyone can do it. For those that are sedentary it is a great way to get your steps in. Outside in fresh air>indoor cardio. Your results may vary….

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

Actually, activity level is based on your job. Exercise gets added as you do it. She has an office job, so should be on Sedentary.

6tp7x4mrvh8b.jpg
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hey :) it’s always so hard trying to figure out what your calories should be! I’m 5ft6, and 10 stone and I’m currently losing 1lb a week by sticking to around 1550 calories per day. My suggestion for you would be to increase your output a little, maybe extend your 30 min walk to 60? You could break that down into two walks a day? And I would also look at the macros in your calories. For example I take 120 grams of protein, 35 grams of fat and 140g of carb and I’m on a very good steady and healthy weight loss journey. This does differ from person to person so you may have to play around with that until you start to decrease. But deffo increase the output by doing more steps (aim for around 10k steps a day if you can!)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    If you try any calculator, including MFP, you're going to find that your "Sedentary" maintenance intake is about 1600kcals/day. You get a little more than that if you walk daily and do a little exercise on the weekends, but not much. So, you've been eating at maintenance and pretty much maintaining. (Your weight will vary by +/- a few pounds daily, anyway.)

To lose weight, you'll have to eat less than that, I expect. You can play around with the formula here:

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

This shows you how your daily needs are calculated, which is helpful. Ignore all the other diet advice on the page!

My suggestion is to shoot for less than a 25% average deficit. A lower deficit is easier, but it takes longer to lose the weight. But, what's the hurry?

Best of luck!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,639 Member
    Options
    Shortcut.

MFP sedentary would include all the activity the op indicates as long as she is ending in the sub 5000 step a day range or below

Yes MFP expects daily activity + log exercise. But if job is truly sedentary then the dog walk could bring it in line to the level of activity rolled into the sedentary expectation.

Alternatively if you notice that total steps are above 5k chances are good that some of that exercise should be logged or the level changed.

Basically MFP sedentary is an activity factor of 1.25 which corresponds to roughly 3500 steps of activity. By 5000 usually you are above it and some of that extra should be accounted for

So the question is: what does guided setup show for 1lb loss per week for the op? That's a good approximation to start with. And it can be refined as time goes on.

For a nice tdee estimator I tend to like sailrabbit 🤷‍♂️

note tdee is not the actual way MFP was designed to work especially if your activity level varies. However it's all just numbers with a label in the end and as long as you're capturing everything consistently you can work with it!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. I use it as part of a (I Ike to think) well rounded exercise program that includes cardio, strength and stretching.

But I can sincerely say, I wouldn’t have been as successful as I’ve been without a strong walking element.

Plus, it just makes me feel so happy to be outside- even if it does involve a sniff every 25 or so feet.

I tell the dog “Quick sniff. You don’t need to evaluate the vintage”. But he insists on being a connoseiur.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Forgive me if this has already been asked/answered, but did you do the "View Guided Setup" process on MFP?

Goals --> "View Guided Setup" link

Don't get discouraged!
  • MJW12020
    MJW12020 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    lr0fl1ph7b9y.jpeg
    Walking burns around 100 calories per mile however terrain, speed, your physical stature and fitness will have an effect. Walking takes no equipment and almost everyone can do it. For those that are sedentary it is a great way to get your steps in. Outside in fresh air>indoor cardio. Your results may vary….

I don't disagree at all. Walking is my favourite form of exercise and a very important part of my weight loss and fitness routine. It is great for general health and wellbeing. I love walking and average around 18,000 steps a day, alongside other activities.
    I just meant that in terms of adding to an overall calorie burn a half hour walk did not add a lot compared with running, swimming, a HIIT workout and a bunch of other things. A half hour walk is probably burning around 100 calories or so which, was others have noted, is largely going to be covered under the 'sedentary' setting. If the OP is adding, say, 200 calories to their target because of this half hour walk it is probably going to give an overestimate of calorie burn.