Hunger

Options
I have been using MFP for 7 months now and have been doing my best to follow healthy eating habits. I try not to go over at all but it happens every once in a blue moon. Recently I have noticed that I have been ravenously hungry even though I eat healthy high fiber meals. I eat 4-5 meals a day and drink a minimum of 64 oz of water every day. But it is really hard not to go find more food when my stomach is turning in knots. Has anyone else had this problem? or know a way to fix it?

Replies

• Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat something on those days. I listen to my body. Science be damned.
  • Papa_Swearingen
    Papa_Swearingen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are spacing your water out. I found that when I crammed all of my water in a different points throughout the day it would eventually lead to a hungry stomach, starting to think my stomach was stretching.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You mention high fiber meals. Are you eatting enough protein?
  • J3J3Real
    J3J3Real Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find that by eating power foods but still keeping to your 4-5 times a day may work better for you. I'm no expert but I know I'm always hungry and I had to research the foods that are filling you know and I believe my research had brought me to power foods like hard boiled eggs and bananas are supposedly power foods. Still keeping an eye on the fat but you know what I mean. Watermelon also works for me too. I hope this helped a little.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Today was one of those days where I was hungry just a couple hours after lunch, so I ate some unplanned (and unhealthy) stuff. I'm a little upset with myself, but overall didn't sweat it because I have been rock solid for the last 10 days. I think sometimes our bodies just need a feed day and then they settle in after that.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    are you at 1200 calories? do you eat your exercise calories back? maybe you should be eating more.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    need more info
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm hungry and I don't have any calories left I will have a glass of water with 2 tsp. of benefiber. Benefiber does have calories but just a few and it is all fiber so it really doesn't count. Also, it is true what Justjoshin says about protein. Make sure your snacks are low in fat and high in protein: greek yogurt, string cheese, laughing cow cheese spread on wheat crackers, apples dipped in peanut butter. Well, peanut butter is not low in fat, but it is the good kind of fat. Anyway, those snacks get me from one meal to the next with out hunger pains.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1560 calories each day. I may need to recalculate my calories. I eat back most of my exercise calories. I try my best to get 100% of my daily protien, but I usually average 80-90%. I'm about 60 pounds over my goal weight. Technically I am 80 pounds over what bmi says, but I think it is a little flawed. I have been keeping my sodium under my daily amount, but my sugar is usually just at my limit (20 g?) or above. I also stay under my fats for the most part. I take multi vitamins and a few other health supplements with my birth control each morning. I hope that's enough information.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I upped my calories by 40 calories.
  • Jennieam
    Jennieam Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Try having some low-fat yoghurt when you are really hungry. I find it helps.