Vitamin D and Fish oil and weight loss

Options
I just heard on the radio about a Vit. D solution and Fish oil. They claimed that the increase in Vit. D in conjunction with Fish oil will help weight loss. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• agugino
    agugino Posts: 119
    Options
    I have heard fish oil, never heard anything about the Vitamin D though
  • Berls_17
    Options
    Those two supplments alone won't make a noticable difference in your weight loss. Pounds dropped ultimately comes down to energy out and good quailty energy in.

However, both are great supplements to take for overall health. Just make sure that the fish oil has been tested for heavy metals & mercury. I personally supplement with fish oil daily, and I take Vit D in the winter. Another alternative if you don't like the 'fish burps' is Flaxseed Oil.

I'm a big fan of supplementation. It's not miracle weight loss solution, but you're giving your body what it needs to be healthy & run smoothly so you can push harder when you do workout :smile:

Cheers!
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Don't know about using them for weight loss, but my doc recommended taking fish oil for lowering cholesterol.So either way, it should be good for you.
  • RichardWhitman
    RichardWhitman Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bla bla bla - calories in, calories out...that all....everything else is fish oil.
  • cthigpen
    cthigpen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Calories in and calories out don't seem to be working for me. My body seems to be holding on to the weight no matter what I do.

This is an article I've found:

Vitamin D and weight loss
    I’m sure many of you have seen the “diet with dairy” ads launched by the American Dairy Council. Some studies have shown that weight loss does occur with an increase in calcium intake, while others appear to refute this. Since vitamin D is directly involved in calcium absorption, it stands to reason that vitamin D is also a factor in how the body regulates weight.

Moreover, people who have a reduced capacity to mobilize vitamin D often weigh more and have more body fat than those with full capacity. In the past 20 years multiple studies have shown a correlation between higher blood levels of vitamin D and leaner body mass.

To my thinking, what seems essential for us to understand here is the vitamin D connection with insulin resistance. Vitamin D deficiency may contribute to the wide set of disorders associated with metabolic syndrome (syndrome X), as well as to PCOS. In a study published in 2004, the authors saw a 60% improvement in insulin sensitivity in healthy, vitamin D replete adults — and concluded vitamin D was more potent than two prescription medications commonly used to treat type 2 diabetes! But the cadres of drug reps spread out across America are not likely to be reminding your healthcare practitioner about this study. They are not likely to have heard about it!

Clearly, vitamin D seems to be very important in regulating our weight, but we don’t yet understand the mechanism involved or how it relates to our environment and individual biochemistry. Still, there seems to be a correlation between rising rates of obesity and vitamin D deficiency. If you are having difficulty with insulin resistance or weight gain — or can’t keep the pounds off once you lose them — you may want to have your vitamin D levels checked by your healthcare practitioner.
  • cthigpen
    Options
    The 27 pound loss is over 2 years and the second year I started gaining. I've just now lost 12 of the 13 I had gained, but if I miss one day of exercising, even though I eat good, I will gain weight.
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, it's more if your vitamin D level is low in may inhibit your ability to lose weight. It still takes proper diet and exercise.

Here is a link to a research study.

http://www1.umn.edu/news/features/2009/UR_CONTENT_165066.html
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I got prescribed prescription strength vitamin D because I'm deficient (can't leave the house without my spf80! :p). One of the warnings was that it might decrease appetite... unfortunatly I haven't suffered that side effect.
  • cthigpen
    Options
    Thanks
  • cthigpen
    Options
    Maybe you should add fish oil to that.
  • human511
    human511 Posts: 1
    Options
    I started taking fish oil & vitamin D every morning as well as no processed foods...or ant bread... I have lost over 60 pounds so far and have never had success and regular success...it is always 10 pounds a month...and my skin loons amazing and is shrinking along with me...only 40 pounds to go.... Take the vitamins it will help!
  • jennhoffmanphoto
    Options
    I recently started taking Chlorella and it has helped as well. Green tea at night before bed works great too. Cleanses you in morning.