Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Weight Watchers vs MFP

Options
Spoilascanb
Spoilascanb Posts: 40 Member
I have been looking into joining Weight Watchers. After researching, it seems to be what MPF provide. If there a difference? What are the advantages?

Replies

• KL1887
    KL1887 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So for me I believe they could work in conjunction with each other if you’re new to the calorie counting process. Having a paid for version of mfp isn’t necessary to succeed in a weight loss/management/gain plan.

The reason I’m thinking they could work well collectively is that my understanding of WW gives you a certain amount of “points” to use as food values and while in the beginning on WW alone that could be beneficial. If you were to input the calories of each meal/drink/snack into mfp you’d see them more in their value towards calories you’re putting into your body and possibly gain a better understanding of how it links than it simply being a points system.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I can see that for some people the social aspect of WW might be motivating and losing with other real people can be inspiring - so that is an advantage of WW meetings vs any online program.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    My MIL has been a WW member for more than 30 years. She loses and gains the weight repeatedly, stresses over the weigh-ins, keeps a meticulous journal of her weight, writes Points values on all her cans and boxes of food...and just keeps going back and going back and going back to meetings. I guess that a customer who loses the weight and keeps it off is a paying customer lost.
    my bold

well, not really - no more than MFP or any other weight loss program.

and WW does have a maitenance program - so nothing wrong with remaining a member long term if that suits you.

• Spoilascanb
    Spoilascanb Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    @cmriverside that is my point! After researching, I’m like wait……you want me to pay you to log my food? I understand the accountability, but it don’t make sense to me!
  • DebbsSeattle
    DebbsSeattle Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I loved WW when I was able to attend meetings. Made friends and shared support. MFP gives me a place to log my stuff and keep tally for free.
  • janincali
    janincali Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’ve been following WW for the last two years after using MFP off and on before that. WW provides a good community experience but I’ve always missed the macro and calorie insights with MFP. I lost 40 lbs in Year 1 and zero in Year 2. I nearly always stayed within my points so is possible to follow WW and not lose just like any wellness program. I’m back here because I seem to have fallen in to a rut so feel I need a mindset refresh. Will do both for a bit but anticipating committing to MFP again. I’ve wondered the same question as posed here about Noom.
  • VicDis2021
    VicDis2021 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    As is said above, the social aspect is wonderful. And the weekliness of the meetings helps bring a rhythm to your weightloss life that is helpful.

But it is very much a nanny state system now. It awards "healthy" foods way lower points than less healthy foods, even if the calories are the same. That gets frustrating.
  • onthisroadagain
    onthisroadagain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I think Weight Watchers offers a bit more structure. There are a lot of WW approved recipes/foods out there. And for some, the points might be easier to track than calories.
    Personally I find the points system confusing while I can wrap my head around calories a bit easier.
    I also don’t love the “free foods” aspect of it. I know myself and I would absolutely turn it into a game of gorging on those free foods.
    I use the basic version of MFP - I can see how paying for something would be an extra level of accountability though.
    And finally - the meetings sound like my own personal version of hell. But I have friends who have really benefited from the group setting.
    At the end of the day, it’s what works for you.
  • goldlady
    goldlady Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Right now I am doing both. Years ago I did ww and had success. then gained it all back. I've been logging food on and off on MFP for about 10 years and have lost and gained. Right now I need the accountability that I have to get on that scale for another person and HEAR "you lost or you're up! " So far I've heard" you're down!" I log both programs daily. Takes a bit of time, but it is interesting to me to compare the two. Mostly, If I stay in points range, I am under allowed calories on MFP but within good parameters on macros. It comes down to constantly tracking and not giving up, ie, consistency , for me. I am 30 years older than when I first went to WW and the weight is definitely harder to lose after 60. But I must keep at one, or the other, or maybe, both! Good luck.
  • BeachWaves24
    BeachWaves24 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with WW if you don't mind parting with cash every week to be accountable to someone who is going to do your weigh in for you, and allow you to have face to face support. If you struggle to do the journey alone, then it's the perfect option. Other wise, the system is very similar to MFP, which is free. I bought premium once but the additions didn't match the cost, so I stuck with the free version.
  • jmjanne1
    jmjanne1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I joined WW, but decided I do not want to switch from calorie counting to points. I found that one day of points is many more calories than I should be eating. Also, I don't like that I cannot monitor my carb/protein/fat, as well as sugar and fiber... I continue to log here. I signed up with a promotion for 6 months and will not get a refund, so I use it for recipes and tips. They do have lots of great EASY recipes that fit my eating plan and are helpful to me, as I hate cooking. when the promotion is up I will be done with WW.
  • jmjanne1
    jmjanne1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also, there is just way too many pics of food on WW. Not good for me.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is a method for restricting calories, so similar to MFP in that sense. Like all of those paid-for diets, they obviously want you to pay for the programme and keep paying, hence things like points systems which you have to buy into (and keep buying into).

It's ages since I've done it. The advantages are group support (if you go to a group), some people might find the points easier than calorie counting, and it's worked out for you, and that they have a range of products which again are easy to fit in, it encourages eating fruit and veg, and that I think sometimes paying for a programme makes you more committed and possibly more successful.

The disadvantages is the cost of course, and that you're tied into that system, and that it's sometimes difficult to work out points. For me, personally, a big disadvantage was that I didn't lose any weight on it! Either I was allocated too many points, or there were errors in my accounting, but frustrating.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options