Bananas good or bad?

Options
For some reason every time I eat a banana I feel like I am eating something bad for me. It could possibly be because of all the years of low carbing.
But somewhere I always see advertised that Bananas cause belly fat. So lets here it good fruit or bad banana :):wink:

Replies

• unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    An aeon of primates can't be wrong ;)
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bananas are an excellence source of potassium.
  • oopsiedaezie
    Options
    I like bananas because I they give me a boost of energy :happy: I say keep them around.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I always thought of bananas as good.
    I'm allergic though so I don't get to eat them now :sick: :grumble:

I miss bananas :cry:
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. How could a banana be bad for you? Yes they have carbs and sugar, but unless you have diabetes, then bananas now and then won't hurt you.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I can't even believe you are asking this question
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    excess calories cause excess fat. Eat 100 bananas a day = get fat. Eat a regular amount of bananas and keeping around maintenance cals = don't get fat.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I don't like bananas on their own but in a smoothie they are great and keep me full the whole morning! :) I think they are good and curb my sugar cravings!
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Eating a banana a couple times a week should be fine. I just wouldn't eat them every day and remember that they count as 2 servings of fruit.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Bananas are food, they have calories, carbs etc.
    Not a problem if they fit into your daily calorie and macro allowance.
  • ziggylove
    Options
    I can't even believe you are asking this question

Why so snarky. Some folks like my mom think bananas cause constipation. :indifferent: But to the OP, bananas are good for you and an excellent source of vitamin B6 along with some manganese, vitamin C and potassium. Personally they aren't my fave fruit but if you like them that's perfectly fine. :)
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten a banana in months, cause they are so expensive - I only buy them when they are cheap, and they are just now beginning to be available here for under $10/kg.

But I can't see why they are particularly bad for you. They're fruit, right? Better eating a small banana than a chocolate bar.
  • kayleeblue
    Options
    ~I like bananas because they have appeal~!
  • veidtmeister
    veidtmeister Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Banana's are the freakin bomb...are you kidding me? Personally, I think they increase your metabolism, as well as being a good source of potassium as well as fiber. Ive been eating them almost daily, (like a banana for breakfast) for almost a year.....
    But thats just me....
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I love bananas and eat one almost every day! Only about 100 calories, I usually try to pick smaller ones. And convenient and not messy so make a great snack b/w meals!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    One of the best fruits to eat IMO.
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    No food is innately bad for you. You can eat anything in moderation and remain healthy. As far as bananas, they are relatively low in calories (80 - 100 calories depending on the size, I believe), so you'd be able to get more "bang for your buck," as opposed to eating chocolate chip cookies, for example.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    A fruit is a fruit & all fruits are very essential in everybody's diet. So to single out a fruit as bad is plain nuts. Besides not all calories are created equal. Bananas may have the same number of calories as a 1/4 slice of chocolate cake but the nutrients & fiber it gives makes a big difference. Since it packs a lot of fiber, bananas are very satisfying & heavy on stomach. I eat banana most of the time.
  • dlei456
    dlei456 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    In the fifth grade, some boy threw up bananas all over our classroom. I choose not to enjoy bananas, But I do like their neat packaging that can be thrown in the compost!
  • BackToPreBaby
    Options
    when i was pregnant i was told to stay away from bananas or limit to 2 times a week (this is because of the sugar intake)
    Bananas are high in potassium and definitely fill me up pretty quick. Other than being pregnant and wanting to keep sugar levels down i can't see why they would be bad. However i do hear alot of people asking the same questions at ww meetings :)