40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hey Everybody glad to be back with you after a bit. I missed you all! :love: I haven't been around because I have been taking care of my Mom whose health is not very good right now. I've just been running from work to pick up kids to, lessons, homework, and dinner and then back over to my Mom's in the early evening and then staying there at night. Thank goodness for home healthcare and Meals on Wheels! She has no internet or computer so I'm completely out of the loop. I haven't been able to log, or excercise etc.....BUT...I am pleased to note that I have been maintaining! :drinker: Eventhough I would usually be very uptight about the fact that I'm not logging what I eat, or excercising like I should, or losing the wt like I want, I am trying to live in the moment and do what I can....and what I can do is MAINTAIN! :happy: I appreciated the comments from Chris and the new gentleman...about doing your best with life, even when it screws with your plan/routine.

I'm so glad to see all the new faces! Welcome everyone.....I'll try to get the names down soon! Dan? The aussie...hope I remembered your name.....you have a wallaby or kanga on your couch...cool pic......a pet? How does that work?

Chris..good luck on Plenty of Fish...I googled it when you mentioned it...eventhough I suspected what it was. Your bird IS very pretty....but I'm sure she knows that. I laughed to see her perched on what I suspected was your soap holder in your shower. she looked like she was enjoying her shower and it's sooooo good for them. You might not want to mention on Plenty of Fish that you shower with another female! :wink:

Swiss, Alf, Stiring, Sing, Lady P, Robin: Always good to see your posts!

Holiday eating? I think I read somewhere that the average person gains 7lbs between Halloween and New Years. YIKES! So just think..by sticking with MFP you not only lose wt but won't gain the wt during the holiday season that you WOULD have gained and WOULD have to lose all over again. I don't know about anyone else but other than a stray pound here or there....I AM NOT planning on having to relose any of these pounds AGAIN..EVER! :noway:

Everyone take care!
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Swiss... I read that the older you get the normal range you should be in increases. I don't know where you fall into that category. Im not saying the older you get its ok to be heavy, but when you see a skinny 80 year old, unless they have some muscle tone, they look frail.

I have a pond with a small waterfall outside my front door. Last Sunday my son and I went out there and a small mourning dove was stuck under the waterfall, drowning. He scooped him up and put it on the deck. The poor thing couldn't even walk so we took it inside to dry out and see how badly hurt it was. After an hour or so of napping in my Tupperware bowl wrapped in a dish towel she was able to walk again. Not fly. My husband thought it was a sign/symbol for baby Jimmy. Those that don't know he's my 4 month old nephew that passed. So he wanted to keep it. Needless to say, I now have a new pet. Im surprised that the bird doesn't peck you when you pick it up. It's not her favorite thing when you hold her but she will let you hold her and doesn't try to escape right away. It will sit on your hand for quite a while.

Today my goal is to hop on the treadmill after I get back from the DMV. I know I'm still lacking with exercise seeing as I'm only squeezing 1 or 2 days a week. I feel guilty about that.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good Evening :)

Decided to make it two rest days in a row :tongue: I'll hit it hard Friday after work and all weekend.

I think the Holidays are the best time to really work on making healthy choices. You get the double benefit of having made healthy choices AND not making the worse than normal bad choices you made in the past. It kills me when I see people (not in this thread, just in general) say, "I'll start after the holidays" No time like now.

*singfree: It's surprising how much you can do with dumbbells. Activates all the little stabilizer muscles too.

*swissmiss: What is your frame size? Small, medium, large? Many people neglect that part of it when figuring out "ideal" weights. People the same age and heights will have different ideal weights depending on their frame sizes. Also, any one who is skinny with no muscles looks like they weigh too little, doesn't matter what age they are. The more toned you are, the more muscle you have, the lower your goal can be with fat loss, IMO. Which brings me to my next thought...weight shouldn't be the main goal, it should be body fat percentage. Weight can be an indicator and a tool, but should not be the end all factor. My thoughts on it anyway :)

*crewellademel: Thanks :)

*tron3002: Don't feel guilty! That is more of a destructive emotion than a motivational one IMO. If you are doing your best each day, what is there to feel guilty about? All you can control is the parts you can control. No need to feel guilty when things out of your control force you to change your plans. Even if you haven't been doing your best, don't feel guilty about it, just start doing it :smile:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good evening!

hewhoiscd, I have not done dumbbell squats and lunges for a long time. My hammies are killing me. Here at work I need to climb a lot of steps for my job and it is not fun right now.

Happy TGIF to all! Friday check in day again. I'm doing pretty well with my diet and exercise, and my clothes are getting looser (albeit SLIGHTLY). Hey, any improvement is a success in my book!

I was able to do a hill climb today despite my sore legs. I'm glad I did. Friday will be my rest day. We will be picking up our Grandson for the weekend at 9 am. I will take a nap when he does!

Stiring, the video was one of those that is unique to the gym that I go to (Anytime Fitness). They have all kinds of videos for strength, cardio, yoga, core and spinning. I was going to limit my Insanity to what my head could take. Thanks for the advice!

Swiss, you caught me! Anna Kournikova is a good looking lady. I think I would be too distracted if she were training me. Bob's not my type....cough...

Alf, Def Leppard?? If I went to one of those concerts I would be Deaf, not Def!! Gimme oompah music or classical any day. Have fun kiddo!!!!!!

Have a great weekend!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Everyone!!! What a week! It is over...Phew. Someone keep putting Mt Everest in front of me and I have to climb out of the *hit to the top...At least its a wokout right???

Have a awesome weekend. Hugs
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: tron, take care of the bird. She is probably very grateful that you saved her. Also, any exercising is better than none.:flowerforyou:

Chris, thanks. I didn't think of body frames. I am probably a medium. But, I seem to have long arms and legs. So, they look thinner. My torso, however, doesn't.:grumble:

:flowerforyou: crewellandemel, 7 pounds??? Wow, I am glad that you shared that. Think of how long it takes to get rid of it after the first of the year. Best to not even gain it in the first place.

I have been thinking that I really need to up my exercising and burn more calories. Slowly losing weight but really not enough. Only about 1/2 to 1 pound a week.
  • mkwood10
    Options
    Hi everyone.........the "lost one" finally returns!! :laugh:

Things have been downright crazy, both at work and home all summer and fall. I'm hoping things can settle down a bit now that major events at work are done.

We also move the youngest daughter home tomorrow, which promises to be interesting. Just a quick back story........she graduated from college in May with 2 degrees, didn't get accepted at Army Officer Candidate School, so she worked part time and "played" all summer. Signed a lease on an apartment in Kansas City without a job, figuring she was much smarter than Mom and Dad and would find an awesome job right away. Moved to Kansas City the end of July. Fast forward 7 weeks....no job and no money left. So, she has enlisted in the Army to be a medic, leaving for basic training on January 3. She actually ASKED if it was OK for her to move back home rather than trying to find a job just to pay her rent/utilities and her student loan payments. Of course she can move back home!! I did, however, make it very plain to her that 1) I wasn't paying her rent in Kansas City; she'd have to figure out how to get out of her lease and 2) I'm not paying her student loan payments when they start next month. She says she'll get some kind of job to cover her financial obligations - if that really happens remains to be seen!!!

So, anyhow, we move her home tomorrow - and then I get to start biting my tongue about her not finding a temporary job until she leaves! :grumble: Can you all tell I'm just a wee bit frustrated these days?????:laugh:

Haven't made any weight loss/inches lost progress, but my shoulder/neck/back are feeling pretty good these days. I've actually graduated to seeing the chiropractor every two weeks instead of every week - yeah!!

Hope everyone's doing OK; I confess I haven't read back thru the thread once I found it.
    Take care all!!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Mkwood, great to see you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I am sure you are under some stress related to your daughter, take care of yourself. So she is going to be enlisted with two degrees? Yikes! But I am sure she will try to get commisioned as soon as she can, right? There is nothing wrong with being enlisted, I was and my husband was enlisted his entire military career even when he had his degree before joined the military, but nowadays the military is different and most officers tend to have it a little easier than enlisted personnel...IMO. Best wishes for your daughter and I thank her for deciding to serve. :flowerforyou:

Well, yesterday I decided to leave work a little earlier to go to this type of whole foods store to pick up some healthy take out for dinner. On my way there I got rear ended on the highway very hard. Luckily I was driving my big truck, Dodge Durango, and the girl that hit me was in a small car. So my car only got the bumper damaged but her car got to be towed, was smashed in the front and was spilling all the radiator fluid. I tried my best to get on the side to avoid her when I saw her coming at full speed towards me in the rear view mirror but I had no chance. My head banged on the back of the seat and I was pretty shaken up. EMS came, a firetruck full of firemen :love: :laugh: and two police cars...it was quite a spectacle. They offered me to take me to the hospital but I declined...I ended up going to the military hospital later on with my husband because I was feeling kinda funny and everyone kept telling me to go. There were no injuries found. The girl's insurance, she looked very young, said that she was not covered under the insurance she presented to the cops so it is now under investigation... :grumble: The good thing is that I was not injured, at the speed she was going if she would have been in a bigger car I dont think I would be writing this right now...BTW, Tron and Chris, thank you for your well wishes in FB.

Tron, I really like your husband's idea that could be a sign of Baby Jimmy. :heart: :cry: How is your brother doing?

Swiss, I totally agree with Robin and Chris regarding each person's goals for weight loss. I too joined MFP to lose about 10 lbs but ended up losing a little over 20, not right away though which is a good thing. That is how my body responded to eating healthier and exercise. I have noticed that being in the 125-130 range is the ideal weight for me, I am happy with it, it feels right to me. I would really love to have an accurate body fat test to know where I'm at. I really dont trust someone using calipers unless I am sure that person is well trained. Not everyone is well trained and would hate to get the wrong results. In the meantime I am maintaining and I am happy with it.

Crewell, good to see you. Hey do you and (oh gosh cant remember who?) want to help each other out holding ourselves accountable during the Holidays? I did better than ever last year but I still gained about 5lbs and it did take me a while to lose them.

Sing, you are too funny!!! Enjoy your grandson this weekend. I am actually looking forward to this concert. It is my birthday present for my brother and it was originally set for Jul but it had to be postponed until tomorrow. Also Heart is the special guest so I am also a fan. :drinker:

Have a great evening!! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: mkwood, your daughter is very lucky to have a mom like you. I am sure that all will turn out fine with her.

:flowerforyou: alf, just why was that girl driving so fast??? And, didn't she even see you in front of her. Oh my, if she doesn't have insurance then she is in real trouble. Glad that you are alright.

Got a headache today. I very seldom get them but when I do there is nothing to help it.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Have had a great day so far :smile:

This morning I ordered a Powerline PPR200X Power Rack and it should be delivered in 1 to 2 weeks. Then I checked Craigslist and found a used 300lb Olympic weight set with a 7' Olympic Bar for a great price. Called him up, got voice mail and left a message.

Started my workout, got through my squats and was finishing up my warmups for the Overhead Press when he called me back. It was still available! So I scurried on over and picked it up :happy:

IMG_2323-1.jpg
    IMG_2322-1.jpg

Loading it into the van and then carrying it from the parking lot into my Apartment was a workout in and of itself, lol.

Then I couldn't resist doing a few deadlift sets. I had forgotten how great barbell deadlifts make ya feel.

Tomorrow I am cancelling all my gym memberships :happy:

Time for dinner...will be back later to read through and reply :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I found you!!!!!!!!!!!

When I came back from running camp, I posted a big long post on the 40+ summer slimmers and then.....
    Took me a while to figure out that a new post was started, so then I started looking for you.
    Red some of the posts to get caught up, and will continue to do so. Sounds like there are lots of new folks on the thread - welcome.

Glad I found the thread. :-)
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    hugs and good health happy sat/sun
  • crewellademel
    Options
    Good Morning all! Having a great morning. Did 20 minutes of cycling.....my knees are very happy! Then followed up with 90 minutes of strength training. Now enjoying a nutritious brunch. Hope everyone has a great weekend. :flowerforyou:
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Alf... Thanks for asking about my brother. He's having a hard time. He moved his wife and kids in with me while he stayed in San Diego to pack things up. Needless to say that was two months ago. I think being in that house alone is too much and depression has set in. He's always angry. His wife can never do anything right. I just wish he would talk to someone about what's going on but he isn't one to open up. He sees it as weakness. I don't know what's gonna happen with his marriage. She flew down there this weekend to get him. I hope they can work through things because she's a very nice person and in my opinion good for him. I guess only time will tell if they can handle this storm.

Now as for their youngest daughter... She just turned 10, is about 4' 10 and has to weigh at least 135. Why do parents contribute to that? I know the girl has to eat but when you pick up a box of cheerios for her breakfast and she throws a fit because it's not fruity pebbles why do you let her have it? Today I'm sure my niece was upset with me because she went into the kitchen and made a sugar sandwich. No I'm not kidding.... A sugar sandwich!!!! Just picture two prices of bread with a ton of butter and even more brown sugar. I told her, hold on I want to take a picture of the most unhealthies sandwich I have ever seen. The sad thing is she eats like this all the time. And she eats non stop! Maybe I sound mean, don't get me wrong, I have never told my kids they couldn't eat. I just made sure they had real food and ice cream stayed as a dessert not breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello!!!! I had a great time yesterday at the Def Leppard/Heart concert with my brother. I loved singing along to all their great songs from the 80's. :laugh: I skipped all my workouts this weekend, not good...but I've stayed busy doing other things around the house plus the concert last night. I have to get up early and go to the lab to get blood work done for my physical. Not really sure if I will get to do my upper body trng tomorrow morning. I should since I havent worked out since Thu morning!! :noway:

Tron, I am really sorry about your brother and his family. It sounds to me that all of them need to seek help including their daughter. All of them have been deeply hurt by the loss of the baby and it looks to me they are all trying to deal with the pain in their own way. I hope they seek help sooner than later. Do you feel comfortable talking to your SIL? Someone in the family needs to get it started, they need to find some healing together. :flowerforyou:

HI Lady Persia!! :flowerforyou:

Hi Crewell, wow 90mins of strength trng, good for you!!! :drinker:

Chris I was going to suggest Craigslist on FB when I saw your post. Good job in finding one!!!! Happy workouts!!!

Good to see you sdereski!!!:drinker:

Have a great evening! :flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: alf, funny but I am sure that I don't know many songs from the 80s. I am too old.:sad: Glad that you have a great time.

:flowerforyou: tron, it sounds like your niece needs some guidance. Hopefully, you can provide some. Wow, a sugar sandwich. That is a new one on me. I will admit to putting sugar on my bubble gum when it had lost it's flavor. My mom didn't know I was doing this. I have a daughter who was quite thin until almost two years ago. She stands 5 foot 1/2 inch and weighs 165. I am wanting her to join MFP. She really doesn't eat that much, she is just not active enough. Too much TV and Facebook.

:flowerforyou: crewell, you are doing great as always. Keep it up.:heart:

:flowerforyou: sdereski, I am so glad that you found us. Been missing your posts. So post away.:bigsmile:
  • DonnaHazel
    DonnaHazel Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday to all! I had a good weekend....even though I went over my calorie limit, I manage to stave off a disaster! We wnet to Dayton yesterday to visit out of state relatives and had lunch at my favorite pizza place. I had a salad and...only 3 small squares of pizza! In the past it was easy to devour half a large pizza!

It great to meet everyone on this thread and I'm starting to get to know everyone. Becky...you rock!

Have a great Monday and stay strong!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Well Donna, thank you for the compliment. You are so funny.:laugh: You know...you look great in your picture. And, I am proud of you for eating only three pieces of pizza.

I am feeling great. Very healthy and getting lighter all the time.:bigsmile:
  • crewellademel
    Options
    Hey Everyone! I'm having kind of a rough start today. Allergies acting up and giving me a headache. When my head hurts I don't care much about anything including how many calories or what type of food I'm eating. So far am doing well but just needed to touch base with you guys for some extra support. Business is down today.....so I'm at home. Double edged sword as I like to be home and get stuff done here but need the $$$$$$$! :frown: Things with my Mom are going OK but still stressful. I'm going to try and excercise today to help myself, it's my C25K run day and the weather is nice. Go me!!!! :drinker: Touch base with you all later.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Happy Monday! I haven't had a chance to check in for a few days or read back, but hope you are all doing well!

I just had my 2-day Fly Fishing class this weekend and feel so pumped! It was a lot of fun and I really am excited about continuing to figure out how it's done. I really didn't think I would enjoy it, and avoided in even though it's basically "the family sport", but I did....telling me I need to try a few new things more often. Maybe the theme for the rest of the year?

have a great day!!