Over 100lbs to lose

Options
How many others have this daunting task?
I'm excited to get started. I know it's going to be a long journey, so I may as well get going now. I won't melt off magically afterall.

I'm 37, have lost weight in the past, but have always had weight issues.

I'd like to nick them once and for all. Hope all of you can help me in my journey.

Replies

• sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You can do it :)
  • aprilhelmreich
    aprilhelmreich Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Make every 5 pounds a celebration! They add up fast. Before you know it you will be at goal. Congrats for taking the first step of the best decision you have made!
  • helper1112
    helper1112 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I share your pain as I was well over 300 lbs. Don't give up you can do it. I tend to get discouraged at the slow process as I want it gone right away. I had to accept that it can be a slow and long process. If you need support feel free to add me as a friend

Have a great day and stay strong..
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Me! I started with 145 lbs to lose. I am about 10 lbs away from the half way mark! You can do it!
  • babs23
    Options
    Welcome!!! I'm on the same journey, so I can tell you that you've come to the right place. I use a BodyBugg to track my calories out and this site to track my calories in. I've lost 50lbs since April! Just be true to your diary and track everything you eat. I've learned so much about food here! Knowledge is power! :bigsmile:
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I just started ,y journey. Wanting to lose 97 pounds, I just started and have always had weight issues, gonna try and give myself a better life!!!
  • 50percentless
    Options
    Wow. What quick responses... So fabulous. Thanks for the encouragement... I am very excited.

What is your opinion on fast vs slow weight loss?

Do you think it's best to work hard, lose quickly in order to gain momentum? Or do you beleive in the slow and steady, long term sustainable, behaviour changing approach (with the risk that you'll get bored or give up)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Working on 130 lbs as an interim goal I'll see when I'm closer if the 155 I want to lose is going to be what I want. Log everything, weigh portions while you figure out how much a serving actualy is... some stuff I was eating way more than an appropriate serving and others I was only eating half...
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I believe in slow and steady. With attention to making changes I can sustain. To that end- I will say that the first 30 lbs came off rather quickly for me and really helped to keep me motivated. I have to work a lot harder now but I'm in it for the long haul so I don't mind.
  • bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it. I look at it as not being a diet, but a life changing experience. Good luck!
  • roxyanney
    roxyanney Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have 91 to go, but a couple of years ago I took up cycling and lost 20, so I know I can do it. I just need to get back on track. I just finished my second day on South Beach. I'm finding it easier to follow than I thought it would be, and my calorie totals are under the goal, so I think I'm good there.

It is daunting. I've been inspired, though, by a program called Heavy, which I watched on Netflicks a few days ago. There are only about eight or ten episodes and they address two really, really obese people in each one, who are invited to attend a residential health facility (one is in Austin, the other in Hilton Head). I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford a place like that, but the people's stories were really inspiring. Every one of them had great success, mostly from addressing the psychological reasons behind their life-endangering habits.

Here's to a successful journey for all of us.

Roxyanne
  • nirebelldandy
    Options
    I'm with you at over 100 to lose. I like the fast results, I feel that the numbers motivate you...When you see a quick loss (Like 4 lbs in 5 days for me) It makes you want to do more!
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think you should do whatever you feel most comfortable!! I am going at my own pace.. I think as long as you watch your calorie intake and work out (which I always start out small) and trust me if you start working out every day, you will soon become upsessed with working out because of the way it makes you feel after. Start slow and increase your exercise when you see fit, I'm starting out by walking, and then I will increase it to the eliptcal and so on
  • Kaesize6
    Options
    I need to lose just about the same amount that you have to lose! Trust me you can do it! Today is my first day and I am feeling the energry from everyone and its very enlightening! GOOD LUCK!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    i need to lose about 130 and i just started too, so we're in the same boat (hopefully i don't weigh it down and make it sink haha) and we'll be here for a loooong time. welcome.
  • 50percentless
    Options
    thanks all for your notes, and thanks to all who have requested friend requests... looking forward to seeing everyone's progress.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I started with over 100lbs to lose and am almost halfway...

Slow and steady is DEFINITELY the way to go for me. I can't give up the things I love (like chocolate) but am prepared to put in the hard work to counteract that.

It's taken me a year so far, and I'm prepared to put in another year to finish it off.

Just get yourself in good habits with logging and exercising regularly, and everything else will follow.
  • 50percentless
    Options
    thanks. that's what I figured I'd do...start slowly with adding walking in 15 minute increments, and take it from there...I've climbed stairs several times, and I'm looking forward to doing some stretching videos, and strength training, but don't feel strong enough yet.
  • 50percentless
    Options
    very cool. I planned on taking 2 years to lose it... (averaging a lb a week) I know I could do it faster, but I want the changes to be gradual and natural.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello and Welcome to MFP!! I think most people here agree that Slow and Steady with sustainable changes in your Food and Activity is the BEST way to lose.
    Logging on here every day will help with staying Motivated and Focused on your Journey.