Protein - Can you have too much??

Options
Can you have too much protein in a day? I'm doing well at keeping the other numbers near my goals, but always go over on the protein.

Replies

• dadoftwins
    dadoftwins Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Can you have too much protein in a day? I'm doing well at keeping the other numbers near my goals, but always go over on the protein.
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hi, dadoftwins! Someone else asked about protein last week - here was my response:
    Most Americans get way more protein than they need. One negative effect that I am aware of is that there is a correlation between high consumption of animal protein and higher rates of osteoporosis. Apparently, animal protein can 'leach' calcium from your bones. If you do a Google search for "animal protein osteoporosis" you will find several references. Extremely high protein, low carb diets have also been associated with kidney problems.

Try adding in some whole grains and healthy fats. Nuts are a good source of both protein and healthy fat. You can toss vegetables with a little olive oil and garlic, or add a piece of whole grain bread to your meal. Oatmeal, brown rice, barley, and quinoa are other good whole grains. You might try getting protein from other non-animal sources like beans, legumes, nuts, nut butters, and tofu. Also, make sure that you are eating a wide variety of fruits and vegetables so that you are getting plenty of other nutrients in your diet.

Don't worry - it may take some time to start widening your dietary horizons. Just start with small goals, like picking a few vegetables or whole grains you enjoy and start gradually working them into your diet. You are already doing a good job watching your calories - congratulations! The trick is learning how you can fit more carbs and fats into a balanced diet without losing track of your calories. As you get more comfortable with more foods, it will get easier!

I hope this helps!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You can, but you'd have to be getting the majority of your calories from protein with a Calcium deficiency and dehydration for problems to arise. This site recommends 15%, so if you're over by a bit you're still within a safe range.
  • chiefiron
    chiefiron Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. I am going with two phase goal. loose body fat, by cutting over all calorie intake (KEY) and building muscle which helps with the first. To that end i try to get at least 50% of my calories from protien, 15% from fat and 35 % from carbs (mostly green veggies) but some pasta/rice/pita breads.

dont rely on what this site or some person says. do your own research add it all together and come up with a plan that you can live with. This is about life style change as much as loosing weight.

Tim