Calories in rice

Options
Hello - I am making risotto and have measured out 100g of rice which the pack says is 349 cals. What is the calorie number when it’s cooked though? Thanks!

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    The calories won't change, but the calories per gram will. Use the recipe builder: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

Many of us use the weight of the finished recipe in grams as the total number of servings in the recipe builder, and then enter the grams we eat as the serving size in the food log.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    The rice will be the same amount of calories--cooked or dry. Cooked just means it absorbed liquid and has more volume. Make sure you count the calories in the other ingredients--oil, butter, cream, etc.
  • soulo_ridah
    soulo_ridah Posts: 50 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    When cooked in water it will be 349cal.
    Weight the cooked weight and it might be 300g, its still 349cal.
    If you eat 150g of that cooked rice, it will be 175cal.
    Simple.

And just to add, rice is such a waste of calories IMHO other than in sushi.
    I do not have and never will have any rice at home. There are much much better grains.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,239 Member
    Options
    I presume you're making this for more than one person. Here's one thing you can do:
    • Weigh each ingredient and log that in a recipe or meal.
    • When the dish is finished, weigh how much it is. I have tare weights for my cooking pots to make this easier.
    • Edit the recipe based on finished weight. If the finished weight is 987 grams, I'll call it either "987 servings" or 99 servings (a gram or ten grams per "serving.")
    • When you serve yourself, you can weigh how many "servings" are on your plate.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    Simple.

I do not have and never will have any rice at home. There are much much better grains.

Lovely blanket statement.
    It's highly individual, obviously.

I love risotto myself, I find it very filling for not that many calories.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,239 Member
    Options
    <snip>

This huge plate of braised mixed greens (chard, kale, collards, etc) also has one serving of brown basmati rice. It made a delicious and healthy meal last Sunday afternoon.

a8275n0swdzw.jpg
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Simple.

Rice is great! Versatile. If it fits in your calorie and macro target then it’s fine.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Simple.

I find rice and beans (and veggies and animal protein) very filling and eat it all the time. I was on a Lebanese lentils and rice kick for a long time. Tomorrow I'm making red beans and rice with smoked turkey and veggies. I love Cuban rice and beans and think that will be next in the rotation.