Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 214

Options

Replies

• shmmm3
    shmmm3 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    @deepwoodslady First let me say that in my opinion, that dietitian has it all wrong. Second, upping your carbs means with GOOD FOOD not pizza and bread. Third, if the changes you have already made have made improvements, which they have, why would they change that????

After all of the research I’ve done in the last several years, I don’t trust much the doctors tell me.
    AND FINALLY
    I am NOT telling anyone that ignoring consultants should be their choice

I will not lie, this seems so backwards! My grandfather has barely controlled diabetes, is on insulin (every time he eats), etc. Due to a lot of issues and surgeries, he can barely walk so practically no movement/exercise. He definitely does better with healthier carbs (fruit/veg/whole grain WITHIN LIMITS) and horrible with any high amount of carbs, good or bad. I know everyone is different, but with an entire family diagnosed with diabetes (my mom, young cousin (23) and I are the only ones without it) I have NEVER heard of increasing carbs. My mind is reeling trying to wrap my brain around this and research (not much on google at all, everything is about lowering carbs)

The few glimpses of this I read include: whole grains for the fiber and micronutrients. Magnesium has shown to help improve insulin resistance and can be located in many whole grain sources.
    https://diabetesjournals.org/care/article/27/2/538/28275/Carbohydrate-Nutrition-Insulin-Resistance-and-the

This is fascinating about vinegar and insulin resistance:
    https://diabetesjournals.org/care/article/27/1/281/26582/Vinegar-Improves-Insulin-Sensitivity-to-a-High

@CamandJarvis Thanks for the articles. I read them through, though, as you can see, it can be a bit confusing when you throw in the heart disease and the desire to lose weight too. I definitely will be choosing whole grains over white flour choices in my breads. I'm really trying to incorporate more tolerable veggies which will allow for less bread to reach my numbers. It's a process for me. I will give these macros numbers a try UNTIL I see that it is causing my numbers harm (glucose, weight etc). I will be staying at the low end of her recommendations though, until I know more. Thanks so much for the research.

I was introduced to Ezekiel 4:9 bread during last round. I avoid store bought bread but that stuff is really good and really good for you. It's in the freezer aisle at the grocery store. Toasted Ezekiel bread, half avocado, sunny side up egg, and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar is a really satisfying snack for me. It's my new favorite bread.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,819 Member
    Options
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,806 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options

@quiltinjaine I believe this is the best article I've ever seen in regards to the benefits of lower carb diets and it's effects on diabetes and Heart Disease! It is the exact opposite of everything the dietician spoke of. She asked me, "if you keep eating the lower carbs, you risk the danger of going into ketosis, and believe me, you don't want that! That will clearly lead to kidney disease!". I told her that I had switched up to higher carbs, about 90, and she said that fell in line with the diet almost as bad as Keto, the Atkins diet, and that would be playing with fire and counter-productive for a diabetic with heart disease. She went so far as to tell me that she is 100% that my Keto dieting awhile back likely even caused my heart attack and my heart disease. She turned my whole world upside down and I agree with NOTHING she said, and I feel that the science supports this.

I will move my carbs up temporarily but I think it will prove to her that this is not the way. A guinea pig I will be, but not for more than a 4-6 weeks. When I go to next appt a month from now, if there are no weight or morning fasting improvements in my blood glucose, I will stop her dangerous practices with my own statistics. I will likely not go back when I see that her advice has had an adverse effect and it will be a matter of record. I want my endo to know I am open to professional help and advice but that her advice did not work. Especially in my case with my food issues.

Thanks for this article. I may print it in case I need it later as a weapon! It's truly fantastic!
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,819 Member
    Options
    @deepwoodslady I sent you a message as MFP wouldn’t let me post some other information. If you can get this book from the library, he has many references to heart disease and diabetes. Gary Taubes The Case for Keto 2ki9wonfx5e7.jpeg
  • deepwoodslady
    Options
    Round 214

145320379.png

MY NAME IS DONNA. I AM 62 YEARS YOUNG & FROM THE MIDWEST USA. I AM APPROX 5’ 5” TALL.
    ROUND 171 FOR ME.

“Today….I am choosing Me”

MY STATS:

Highest weight ever (05-10-2016): 253
    Original starting weight on MFP: (01-11-2018) 235.0
    R213 EW= 193.6
    R214 EW= TBD

Current New Goals:
    Weight:
    Short Term Goal: To weigh less at the end of this round than I did at the end of the last round.
    Final goal: 145-155. We’ll see how I look & feel when I get there.
    Exercise: Move 30 minutes per day rotating activity.

COLOR CODE: Fuchsia is a Happy Weight Loss for me. Blue is a sad weight gain.Black is no change.

********LOOK AND SEE HOW THE UPS & DOWNS OF MY JOURNEY JUST HELPS ME BE A STRONGER & MORE DETERMINED ME********

R43 thru R52 (06/07/18 thru 09/23/18) = -19.4 LOST (Ending weight 179.0)

R53 thru R62 (09/24/18 thru 01/01/19) = -4.1 GAINED (Ending weight 183.1)

R63 thru R72 (01/02/19 thru 04/11/19) = -8.1 GAINED (Ending weight 191.2)

R73 thru R82 (04/12/19 thru 07/20/19) = -5.5 GAINED (Ending weight 196.7)

R83 thru R92 (07/21/19 thru 10/28/19) = -8.7 LOST (Ending weight 188.0)

R93 thru R102 (10/29/19 thru 02/05/20) = -2.0 GAINED(Ending weight 190.0)

R103 thru 112 (02/06/20 thru 05/06/20) = -14.9 GAINED (Ending Weight 204.9)

R113 thru 122 (05/07/20 thru 08/23/20) = -4.7 GAINED (Ending Weight 209.6)

R 123 thru R132 (08/24 thru 12/02/20) = -1.5 LOST (Ending Weight 208.1)

R133 thru R142 (12/03/20 thru 03/01/21) = -0.7 LOST (Ending Weight 207.4)

R143 thru 152 (03/02/21 thru 06/10/21) = -3.6 LOST (Ending Weight 203.8)

R153 thru R162 (06/11/21 thru 09/18/21) = (b]-16.2 LOST [/b] (Ending Weight 187.6)

R163 thru R172 (09/19/21 thru 12/27/21) = (b]-5.0 GAINED [/b] (Ending Weight 192.6)

R173 thru R182 (12/28/21 thru 04/06/22) = (b]-7.0 GAINED [/b] (Ending Weight 199.6)

R183 thru R192 (04/07/22 thru 07/15/22) = -1.4 LOST (Ending Weight 198.2)

R193 thru R202 (07/16/22 thru 10/23/22) = -3.8 GAINED (Ending Weight 202.0)

R203 thru R212 (10/24/22 thru 01/31/23) = -7.2 LOST (Ending Weight 194.8)

R213 (02/01/23 thru 02/10/23) = -1.2 LOST (Ending Weight 193.6)

R214 (02/11/23 thru 02/20/23) = -xxx LOST (Ending Weight xxxxx)

Day/Weight/Comment
    02/10 …..193.6….. ENDING WEIGHT LAST ROUND

02/11 -193.0- (Trend weight 195.7)

02/12 -193.6- (Trend weight 195.5)

02/13 -192.2- (Trend weight 195.2)

02/14 -193.8- (Trend weight 195.0)

02/15 -194.0- (Trend weight 194.9)
    bbud6e2ncoda.jpeg

02/16 -194.0- (Trend weight 194.8)

02/17 -DNW- (Trend weight DNW) I refused to weigh today after going off the rails yesterday. Emotional eating and total confusion. I saw the dietician yesterday who is turning my world upside down! They are trying to coordinate diabetic and heart healthy at the same time with an eye on weight loss too. They have told me I have put my body into starvation mode and that I am to IMMEDIATELY begin eating a minimum of 190 carbs per day for fuel. They promise it will not spike my sugar or make me gain weight. They said that adding carbs will help get my blood sugars under control which is the opposite of everything I’ve ever researched and learned! They said that my low carb dieting has made me insulin resistant. I understand their ideas to a point for a healthier heart, but I fear it will put my glucose numbers wacko and make me gain weight too which puts everything back at risk. I don’t think she understood the part about my inability to eat most veggies and fruits with my food aversions. Did she understand me when I said that just means sitting around snacking on loafs of bread (even if it’s whole grain) in order to get the carbs in because that is about how it would work for me with my eating disorders? I went grocery shopping afterward and had NO IDEA how to shop. She’s actually going to check my MFP food logs everytime I go in. They did another A1C at the hospital yesterday which is less than a month from the last one. It was ordered by the Endo and in less than a month, my A1C had already went from 10.7 to 9.7 with my recent changes of 1400 calories and 90 carbs. I feel like what I was doing was working! I’m feeling lost and hopeless. I asked to limit our appointments to just 4 (instead of 12), but it’s only once a month so I feel I’ll be losing 4 months of progress seeing this lady. I know I should just allow the so-called experts to guide me and give it a chance so I will try, but there is no way I am eating 180. She agreed that 1400 calories was okay. I will up the carbs slowly and try to be at maybe 150 when I see her again in March, unless something miraculous is happening. She wants to see 65% of my daily intake to be from carbs. 65 percent! That’s a lot of pizza! I can promise you it won’t be salads and veggies! I’m screwed! Sorry for the rant. My head is just spinning!

02/18 -196.8- (Trend weight 195.2)So….today will be the first day of my new macros . The 1400 calories haven’t changed and are approved. Carbs will be set at 158g (45%), Fat at 54g (35%), and protein at 70g (20%). The dietician recommends less fat and less protein than what I am going to start with so I can add even more carbs! Her plan seems wrong and drastic to me so I will start with this as a compromise. If my glucose or my weight starts increasing, I’m outta there! I will, however, give the so-called “experts” a chance. My main worry is that I know my increased carbs will not be filled with the good kind. If I didn’t have such aversions to foods, their plan could be more effective than I believe it will be. But I do have eating disorders and my carbs will not be the good kind, or the clean foods they expect so I worry that the results will be skewed and cause weight gain and high blood sugars. I understand there may be more than one way to achieve my goals and so I will try their "tried and true" method short term.
    We shall see. I will, of course, do my best at food choices but it is what it is. BTW, My family doctor has always approved my low carb dieting including Keto. Such a division in the medical community over this, even in my research! So, I've tried low carb and I'll try this but I truly believe I already know the answers.

02/19 -xxxxx- (Trend weight xxxxx)

02/20 -xxxxx- (Trend weight xxxxx)

Every healthy habit brings me closer to scratching each of these off to NEVER see them again!
    250’s; 240’s; 230’s; 220's; 210's; 200's; 190's; 180’s; 170's; 160's; 150’s
  • fmfdfa2020
    fmfdfa2020 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    fmfdfa2020 wrote: »
    @clprieur I meant to add. I've seen you add such thoughtful comments and have really good suggestions, and I hate for anyone to miss them, or you to not know they read them. When you respond to someone, add their @name before your comment and they will receive a notice on the bell at the top right of the page. If someone doesn't go back through multiple pages, they may miss your comment. You may know this and just forgot a few times, but again, I really appreciate how supportive you are, and wouldn't want any to miss your responses. Have a wonderful weekend!!

@clprieur Sorry to beat a dead horse but I wanted to clarify. I'm referring to when someone "quotes" someone. I believe when you add a comment under the quote, you still have to @name. At least, for me, if not, I don't get the notice. I think everyone knows when you just start a new note to @name, but again, this was about when you "quote" someone. I noticed others not doing this so started thinking maybe it's just that it doesn't work for me. Since there are others more experienced here than I, please anyone chime in if I have this wrong. Thanks!
  • deepwoodslady
    Options
    @deepwoodslady I sent you a message as MFP wouldn’t let me post some other information. If you can get this book from the library, he has many references to heart disease and diabetes. Gary Taubes The Case for Keto 2ki9wonfx5e7.jpeg

@quiltingjaine I just found the hardcover book on ebay in good condition, free shipping and proceeds benefiting charity. Perfect! I'm ordering it today. Thanks so much!
  • Skyleen75
    Skyleen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    @deepwoodslady
    I respect that you are going to do what your dietician is suggesting even though it does sound counterintuitive to you.

You mentioned food aversions, that sound like this is going to be really hard.

I’ve been thinking about some high carb healthy foods that maybe you like.

Oatmeal
    Baked Potatoes
    Rice
    Pasta

Lol, basically the foods most of us limit.
  • clprieur
    clprieur Posts: 264 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    @fmfdfa2020 Thanks for letting me know how to direct a comment to someone! I am new around here so I wasn't aware of that. :) I will do it for sure, in future. High Five about the 27 days!! Good luck with keeping up with your sugar skills. <3

Edit - I just saw your second post, about the quoting! Haha! I am not sure of any of this, at all! I will try the @ part, and see how that goes. :)