How long to lose 40#?

Options
2»

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    I’d just like to tiptoe in to point out……when you are losing a considerable amount of weight, the weight comes off faster in the beginning.

As you lose more and come closer to goal, the rate of loss slows down.

All the burning excitement you felt with the first fifty lost is laser focused on the next, and slowing loss will feel excruciatingly slow and frustrating.

Just hang in there, appreciate what you’ve already lost (great job BTW!) and know that in six months or a year, you’ll look back and say “well that wasn’t as awful as I thought”.

Time passes, and with continued mindfulness, so does weight.
    that is why you need to lower calories as you lose weight.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,817 Member
    Options
    I’d just like to tiptoe in to point out……when you are losing a considerable amount of weight, the weight comes off faster in the beginning.

All the burning excitement you felt with the first fifty lost is laser focused on the next, and slowing loss will feel excruciatingly slow and frustrating.

Just hang in there, appreciate what you’ve already lost (great job BTW!) and know that in six months or a year, you’ll look back and say “well that wasn’t as awful as I thought”.

Your rate of loss will still be lower, though. When you’re losing a large amount of weight, as I did and OP is trying to do, you can’t keep up that rate of loss.

The first fifty pounds were a snap. I was losing 10 a month for the first five or six months and then it slowed, slowed, and slowed some more.

Loses will slow down. Mathematically, there’s only so much you can cut, not to mention the potential harm if you try to keep banging the pounds off.

It’s disingenuous to keep stating “cut calories” as the perfect solution, and it’s also a bit insulting implying that someone is failing because they can’t or won’t commit to exponentially larger cuts.

Yes, you do need to eat less as you lose weight and have less to lose. You don’t need as many calories to fuel the smaller body. But even that’s not always 100% true. I actually ate more the smaller I got. At one point I was up to about 3500 a day.

That could almost be construed as the dark mirror image of your plan. I exercised more and more to be able to eat that, to the point I pretty much had a problem.

I’m at a pretty happy median now of less exercise and averaging about 26-2800/day.

Excess in either direction is a dumbass move.
    I said to lower calories. No need to keep up the same rate of loss however at some point your original calorie amount may become your new maintenance and without lowering a bit you won’t lose any more unless you’re activity has increased, whether through NEAT or otherwise.

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,825 Member
    Options

Your rate of loss will still be lower, though. When you’re losing a large amount of weight, as I did and OP is trying to do, you can’t keep up that rate of loss.

The first fifty pounds were a snap. I was losing 10 a month for the first five or six months and then it slowed, slowed, and slowed some more.

Loses will slow down. Mathematically, there’s only so much you can cut, not to mention the potential harm if you try to keep banging the pounds off.

It’s disingenuous to keep stating “cut calories” as the perfect solution, and it’s also a bit insulting implying that someone is failing because they can’t or won’t commit to exponentially larger cuts.

Yes, you do need to eat less as you lose weight and have less to lose. You don’t need as many calories to fuel the smaller body. But even that’s not always 100% true. I actually ate more the smaller I got. At one point I was up to about 3500 a day.

That could almost be construed as the dark mirror image of your plan. I exercised more and more to be able to eat that, to the point I pretty much had a problem.

I’m at a pretty happy median now of less exercise and averaging about 26-2800/day.

Excess in either direction is a dumbass move.
    I said to lower calories. No need to keep up the same rate of loss however at some point your original calorie amount may become your new maintenance and without lowering a bit you won’t lose any more unless you’re activity has increased, whether through NEAT or otherwise.

Thanks for clarifying.
  • NC_Gardener
    NC_Gardener Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't eating over maintenance *for your goal weight*, you'll still lose. It might be slow to very slow, but you'll lose it.
  • Onamissionforfit
    Onamissionforfit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You can't put a time frame on the process. Keep at it and you'll get there. Changes are happening even when you don't see it