Diff Cals - Same Exercise?

Options
How come myself and my sis are doing the same exercise but when we put it into myfitnesspal we get diff cals burned? Is it to do with having diff weights??

Replies

• sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Yes, weight makes a difference on calories burned.
  • lawlzx
    Options
    You're different weights. The higher your weight, the more calories you burn exercising.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    EVERYTHING makes a difference.

Height, weight, exertion...you may work harder than your sister and vice versa...your heart rates are almost certainly not the same either.
  • abbie017
    Options
    EVERYTHING makes a difference.

Height, weight, exertion...you may work harder than your sister and vice versa...your heart rates are almost certainly not the same either.

Exactly.
  • I had not realised it used our weight as a factor, I thought it was generic, I know that my fob at the gym uses my weight and I often burn a lot less lol :(
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I had not realised it used our weight as a factor, I thought it was generic, I know that my fob at the gym uses my weight and I often burn a lot less lol :(

It has been my experience that MFP is very generous. I wear a HRM and my calories burned are always lower - many times by quite a bit. For a 34 minute run the other day, MFP gave me more than 100 extra calories than my HRM. The longer I exercise, the more exaggerated MFP seems to be. For mowing the lawn, MFP gave me 675 whereas my HRM read 425. Be careful you do over compensate for calories earned if you're using MFP only to estimate your activity level. I'd always plug in the lower amount if I were you.
  • I had not realised it used our weight as a factor, I thought it was generic, I know that my fob at the gym uses my weight and I often burn a lot less lol :(

It has been my experience that MFP is very generous. I wear a HRM and my calories burned are always lower - many times by quite a bit. For a 34 minute run the other day, MFP gave me more than 100 extra calories than my HRM. The longer I exercise, the more exaggerated MFP seems to be. For mowing the lawn, MFP gave me 675 whereas my HRM read 425. Be careful you do over compensate for calories earned if you're using MFP only to estimate your activity level. I'd always plug in the lower amount if I were you.

I have read a lot about eating back exercise calories, and I really tend not to, is a HRM the most accurate way of measuring energy expenditure?